60 vs 144Hz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petrolhead, Jun 29, 2020.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Just wondering how many have moved from 60Hz to 144hz monitors and was the upgrade worthwile

Did you notice the difference?

2. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

My experience is:
    - hugely noticeable
    - well worth it

:)

3. regged

regged Registered

I run triple screens at 75hz and although it doesn't sound like much, it feels much smoother/better than 60hz.

4. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I had a triple 144 - 165Hz (monitors can be overclocked) right after a single 60 Hz so let me tell you it was just a huge slap...IMMENSE difference.

Now I use a 32/9 monitor at 120 Hz and still really decent.

Yeah, going from 60 Hz to 144 Hz is a huge, colossal difference you can't really understand until you try.

5. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have moved from signle 60hz 27", to single 144hz 32", resolution is also better. Improvement is great, certainly everything is better. More space and smoother image is more immersive and allows more precise and consistent driving perfomrance. I just use 100hz, not 144hz, because I don't have most powerful gpu, but it is enough for me.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Your brain quickly gets used to a lower frequency monitor and adapt by "filling the gaps", just like our brains have adapted to 24 FPS film and now prefer it over 48 FPS movies, so it's not such a huge deal like some people make it sound. Especially if you are not getting at least around 100 FPS consistently, in that case I would just settle for a 75 Hz monitor.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Consciously ? Yes maybe. But subconsciously I think we surely would make use of 144hz and more.

True conssitency and no stutering is almost more important.

9. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I've read that someone new to 144 won't notice the difference but going from 144 to 60 you will.

I just recently went from 60 to 144 and I did not notice the difference. (Yes I made sure to change my refresh rate to 144) :)

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Perhaps different people have different fps range ? :D

Love Guitars n Cars likes this.
  11. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

You did not notice the difference between 60 Hz and 144 Hz ? Even the windows desktop itself is different...so motion stuff, figure.

12. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I honestly noticed no difference however I don't regret making the change to 144hz

13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

I notice it. For me it was absolutely worth it.

When you look at an object or kerbs in movement, on 60 Hz, you always have the impression of seeing a certain pattern of "single" images. It's fluid, but it doesn't have the same effect, like looking out of the window of a car or train, without fixating the eye on something.

With 144Hz, you already get "natural motion blur", that disappears, when following the objects, passing by, with the eye. Also the movement is softer, clearer and less exhausting for the eyes.
    Especially at Le Mans, it looks so "natural" sometimes now with the better trees and so on, when objects are passing by at high speeds...

I hope, i was able to make it somewhat understandable, what the difference is for me.

nextacyn and mesfigas like this.
  14. jual

jual Registered

IMO high switching frame rate is only meaningful if using displays with short response time such as OLEDs.
    The majority of LCD Panels are to sluggish.

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I am always too afraid i have to run those monitors at much higher frame rates to keep it smooth and so its the reason i stick to 60 even though you really see it isnt "smooth smooth". Since i need to reach 60FPS to get it smooth on 60hz monitors 144hz seems like suicide. :D But maybe they all come with G-Sync and it still looks better than 60hz even at lower than 144 FPS? I dont know.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

The point with G-sync or freesync is to never have tearing despite the fps output be it 20, 23, 61, or 124 fps.
    For RF2 The main goal is to have even fps I think most people cap fps in rf2 (I do) , so with those syncs you are not forced to stick to 60 120 or 144, but you can set the fps you can actually manage in rf2 and the monitor will always comply.

pkelly likes this.
  17. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

Adaptive Sync is the key to smooth gameplay when your PC cannot generate a frame rate comparable to your gaming monitor (eg a consistent 144fps on a 144Hz monitor).

From what I've experienced, getting 50fps on a 75Hz Adaptive Sync monitor looks a lot smoother and playable than getting 50fps on a 144Hz, Non-Adaptive Sync monitor.

I think Nvidia's G-Sync works down to a pretty low frame rate, perhaps even to 0 fps, however I've found the Adaptive Sync in many FreeSync Premium monitors stops working below 48fps.

In my view, low FPS is when you really want Adaptive Sync to be working, so while Freesync is cheaper than G-Sync, it does come with some inherent limitations.

avenger82 likes this.
  18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

G-Sync kicks in usally starting at around 30-36 fps and Freesync at 48. You'll get tearing below that.

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Switching between 165 hz and 60 hz is noticeable to me even when just moving mouse on desktop. Lower frame rate feels more coarse and higher fps feels fluid and nice in comparison. Maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable if i couldn't switch between them quickly with push of a button. Thought, the benefit of the higher frame rate gets easily ruined if the frame timing isn't smooth.
    For sim use i have 100 hz g-sync monitor and i was using it with uncapped framerate (About 160 fps) so the G-sync wasn't doing anything and frame timing wasn't smooth. Now with framerate capped to under 100 fps it's smooth and feels very nice to my eyes.

Does anyone know what the "software" Sync option in, rf2 video settings, is supposed to do?
    Seems to cap my frames at 91 fps without introducing any noticeable input lag.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have a 144hz AOC monitor using freesync. Never saw any tearing prior to this monitor and none since. My old vidcard can usually deliver at least 60fps so perhaps I never taxed it enough to see the lack of freesync.