Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I read somewhere (can't remember) that I can use Oculus Debug Tool to increase PPD to let's say 1.3 and this will have a better SS quality than SteamVR. I would like to know if this is true and if will work that way.

2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Yes, you can set your SS in Oculus Tray Tool, but you are still running in Steam VR because RF2 does not support Oculus Home. I have mine set to 1.5.
    The setting in Steam VR are not equal to Oculus SS value, 1.5 in oculus is roughly equivalent to 2.0 in Steam VR.

3. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I just installed the Wolf's Open Composite DLL and was able to run the game, definitely looks better with 1.3 than using 200% Steam VR. Now another question, why the driver looks so thin in VR compared to the monitor? Driver arms are too thin. I tried to change the VR Scale in game, it makes all bigger but the driver body looks really weird, arms are still too thin. Any way to fix this?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

There is another opencomposit tool where you can switch between steamvr and open composite with a click... which one is better.
    I use FPSVR app . Is it possible to use it without steamvr?
    Thanks

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think no (not tried)

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  7. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

I did tweak it and set the hotkeys but it just make all things bigger or smaller but the arms and the driver in general seems too thin...

Another question, can I tweak brightness and contrast somehow? The image to me is too washed out.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Not in rF2

cabelo3d likes this.
  9. cabelo3d

cabelo3d Registered

What is the correct way to use PPD when OpenComposite dll is installed? Via opencomposite.ini file or Oculus Tray Tool?

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Is there any FPS counter that I can use with opencomposite?

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I only use ctrl + f (rf2 function), and with ASW (reprojection deactivated).

When ASW is on, ctrl + f show 40 FPS.

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Use opencomposite.Ini : it is the exactly same as oculus debug tool.

1.3 correspond to (I think) :

(1440 * 1.3) * (1280 * 1.3).

cabelo3d likes this.
  13. rafnix

rafnix Registered

Did something changed towards post processing being useful in VR meanwhile? If yes, is it Low, Medium, High or Ultra?

14. unusualbread

unusualbread Registered

It's been a trip and a half to get RF2 working (had to reinstall windows because was having the crash on start (black screen issue)

Well now that I'm up and running I'm having VR issues. Using a MWR Samsung Odyssey and it feels like the image is not lined up correctly.

When the VR menu comes up if feels like my eyes need to go cross-eyed, and when driving you start to get used to it and when you take off headset your just WTF because eyes are now adjusting to not being crossed. owww.

Anyone else experience this/ have an idea of what I could try?

15. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Registered

I'm new into rF2 and I am looking for some setting tips for VR now.
    Using an Rift S with an i9800K and a 2080 doesn't look that bad, but... rF2 looks bad in there.
    Unfortunately I really don't want to drive with 40 FPS and ASW on. This is not the way I want to drive, definetly.
    If it hits the 40 FPS from time to time, it is okay, but please not that often, that it jumps 5 times a lap between 40 and 80 FPS.

So could you please help me in configuring the graühics, that it looks good and runs mostly without ASW?

My settings now are good for 80 FPS except in the nights. But it looks really awful. Coming from Raceroom where it looks lean and crisp, rF hurts not only my ears, but even the eyes :( So hopefully you can help me to get rid of bad graphics.

I know that VR don't look as the videos shown on YouTube because it's VR, but I've been a bit shocked as it looks now :(

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Rfactor2 looks much better in VR than R3E... it looks definitely much more realistic.

17. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Registered

This doesn’t help me. I don’t want to discuss what looks better. It would be nice to see some settings, that it looks good. My Settings seems to be bad, so that it looks very awful here.

18. Magus

Magus Registered

Similar set-up to you using a Reverb though, so I don't use SS.
    In configuration - video settings, I have it showing on HMD only, AA level 4, Post-effect on medium

In-game, I have the initial detail settings (track, player, opponent, texture) on High, although might be able to get away with FULL on player and texture. AFx16 (some say x8 is indistinguishable to x16 but I disagree)
    Shadow = Low (this is really fps heavy)
    Road & environmental reflection either low or off depending on track. Rain = off (even when no rain is present this seems to effect fps). 10 AI visible.

These settings give me 90fps but was using similar settings when I had a Rift with 1.3 SS. It plays well (90fps) with about 19AI but you can experience dips at start of the race, dusk/dawn and unfortunately rain is just not an option with 90fps for me. Hope that helps.

Lewbuttoni and FormelLMS like this.
  19. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Registered

Definitely a thing I will try. Thank you!
    As I’ve said, I have mostly 80 FPS in the Rift, but it looks very bad here.
    Hoping, that your settings will help.

Thank you :)

20. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Registered

Just a reply after testing. With your settings I cannot reach 80 FPS. It’s stuck in 40 FPS.
    By SS 1.3 do you mean 130 percent in SteamVR? Because SS 1.3 is much more than 130 percent in SteamVR.
    Or asked from the other side: where do you say: launch with SS 1.3? :)