Drifting Steering Issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Max Jerry, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Hi everyone! I’ve recently acquired a VR headset and encountered a multitude of issues (that’s for another thread entirely) but my issue here is with drifting.

From second hand experience of real life drifting I know that upon flicking the wheel into a drift, the wheel should spin freely in the driver’s hand, and the driver catches it at the right point before allowing the car to rebound. However, the FFB feels all wrong on RFactor 2.

I’m drifting a Toyota Corolla AE86 and BMW M4, and instead of the wheel spinning freely, the wheel becomes extremely stiff, only rotates about half a turn and I’m having to fight with ALL my effort and speed to STOP it counter-steering.

It feels like I’m having to strongarm (literally) the wheel to move the way it’s SUPPOSED to in real life. (Also, it’s worth noting another problem I have, which is that I cannot get the steering ranger larger than 720 degrees. I’ve adjusted the setting for this in controller.json and even then, whenever I hop into the car, the steering is still 720 after setting it as 1080).

So two problems in one here I guess! FYI I’m using a SimuCube OSW.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated - could there be some setting somewhere I’ve not got adjusted properly?

All the best,
    Max

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just for experiment's sake, try the same test with the Mercedes GT3. That has FFB which is the opposite of almost all the other DLC.

3. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Interesting - what kind of FFB does that have?

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

it is just 'wrong' for most users. OR, the best ffb in the game for others. It goes light in the middle of the turn instead of adding resistance. Been that way ever since the release and they have never changed it. If there are 10 GT3 cars, 9 react in one fashion, the Merc is almost 100% opposite.

5. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Interesting! I’ll definitely have to give that a go. Do you reckon I’d be able to set it up for drifting? That way I can compare it fairly

6. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I recomend to try my R34 for drift,is on Steam workshop :)

7. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Ah sick, I’d love to! It’s a shame there aren’t more drift cars on RFactor 2, or at least the ability to fully customise and tune every aspect of a car. I could be a bit out of the loop here though - are there actually ways you can access all of a cars tuning options? Because I swear almost every car I load up has very minimal tuning options

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They tend to be limited to what the real series they're race in allows, or in some cases the options are simply limited to avoid the need for everyone to do hours and hours of testing to get the best out of them for racing. Anyway, a proper drift setup generally involves actual hardware changes, not just a 'setup' change from the stock or racing version.

9. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Yes,you can set up anything,change rims,wings,neons :) GRAB_536.JPG GRAB_533.JPG GRAB_538.JPG

10. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Very true - a stock AE86 isn’t gonna have fully customisable suspension .

11. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

That’s awesome! I’ll definitely give that a try. What horsepower does it have?
    Also - I have an issue where I can’t set my steering range larger than 720 (even though I’ve set the limit to 1440 in the json) so I’m guessing that’s a big factor as to why my drifting feels stiff. I don’t suppose any of you have ever encountered this issue, or may know a fix?

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Steering range, shown in the in-game controls menu, should be car specific property by default, but there is also setting that allows you to define the steering range in that controls menu. I think the json steering range limit should be the same as your steering range in Simucube driver/software.

13. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Depends on the turbo pressure,also i use a G27,so the max is 900º,is what i have set in the mod,900º whit 55º of steering lock :)

14. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Update - I think I half fixed the issue. For some reason whatever the range is set to in my SimuCube profiler, my in game range will always be exactly 180 degrees less... weird huh? But I guess i found a way to get it working.
    Although, no matter what, the visual wheel will always be stuck on 720 degrees no matter the car. And I can’t seem to find any way to fix this

15. Max Jerry

Max Jerry Registered

Hey again everyone -
    After a week’s worth of practise and trial & error I think I’ve found what the problem actually is: the steering always tries to re centre itself. I can be stationary and move my wheel 90 degrees, and it will bounce back to the centre. This force is constantly present when moving, so what happens is when I’m in a drift, the wheel is innately trying to recenter itself regardless of the current weight distribution.

This also results in some unwanted oscillation, as the wheel will bounce back and OVER counter steer. I’ve fiddled with all the damping settings and this doesn’t correct the issue.

Any ideas what this could be?