Exclusive interview: Managing Director at Studio 397 Marcel Offermans - Part 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jun 30, 2020.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Part 2
    https://www.gsrh.gg/news_posts/9?cookie_policy=true

pipeline currently includes another iconic European track, and we’re also discussing a few other tracks that are related to future esports events. Long overdue is a new “sample track” for the modding community that will come with extensive documentation on how to leverage our new shaders to make tracks that look awesome and are future proof as we continue to evolve the engine.
    Should be Spa?

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

I would guess Spa or Monza.

I wonder would the esports related tracks include Daytona, as that's another big sim 24 hour event. I'm not sure how the licensing might go on that though, but perhaps the VLM24 may have helped in that regard. After all, we have Ferrari, Porsche, LeMans etc so anything might be possible at this stage!

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

He said big iconic European circuit... for me it’s Spa.

HomieFFM likes this.
  5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

6. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

- We are also still working with our stock car community to bring a huge update that will also see some improvements in our stock car rules plugins
    That is a really good new!.

And Marcel talks about the haters, this people is an outcast in the simracing community. It is inexplicable in a niche like this where most of us are adults and not kid like minecraft community for example :p where are people who say "my game is better than yours, blablabla, fix this, 2 years for fix that thing, bla bla bla cry cry cry" like a 12 year old kid, it's annoying.
    A tip for that guys, the HD are cheap, buy a big one, buy all the sims in steam and be happy, it is cheaper than two or three tanks of fuel for your car to buy all the content and then enjoy the sim you most like, grow up.

eRacer_ likes this.
  7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

A: This is a story that started in spring of 2016. At the time I was working for Luminis and in my spare time helping out ISI with various tasks. We were in fact just wrapping up the migration of rFactor 2 to Steam, which I had done at the time when one evening I was casually talking to Gjon Camaj. In that conversation, he asked if I would be interested in maintaining rFactor 2 and I thought it would be a great opportunity to run with it and see how we could evolve it.

So Studio 397 doesn't actually own rF2? I'm just curious as I never quite understood whatever happened to ISI.

8. Ermz

Ermz Registered

Would love to hear more about the physics/drivetrain updates he mentioned. Most of us would probably agree that rF 2's strength is its physics model, and it's likely what has allowed the game to survive the rough years where it was laden with bugs and running on an old DX9 engine. Now that they're modernizing everything, it'd be great to hear in what ways the core simulation is looking to improve.

TJones, svictor and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I'm really exited about the idea of S397 focusing their attention on the physics 'One area where we still need to go in and make big improvements is our physics engine. We did make a bunch of smaller improvements, but there is still a long list of things to do here, from improvements to our AI to a more extensive drive train model.'

I mean, I completely see why they have not focused on it - as it was by most measures miles ahead of the competition. But damn, I can't wait to see their wizardry shifted from the graphics to the physics instead.

TJones likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

AFAIK, S397 purchased the rights to rF2 from ISI. That includes the content like cars and tracks and the original codebase as it was updated by ISI at the time of the sale. ISI no longer has any direct input to rF2. S397 may, MAY, reach out to ISI for technical help but everything since the sale has no imprint of ISI. The text you quote refers to an opening conversation that STARTED the process of first, forming S397, and then purchasing the code from ISI.

Love Guitars n Cars likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Don't sleep on part /10 :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    GTClub_wajdi likes this.