Optimal settings suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dongwoo Kang, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Hi all,

I haven't noticed any stuttering after I disabled replays, and I could drive a race with 14 AI in the rain without problems, and the only display setting I lowered was Opponent quality, to about medium.
    I bought the Track Pack with the Nords and Le Mans, and I had problems especially with the 24hr, stutterng everywhere with some fps drop in the pits.

I reduced the settings as shown in these photos, and it works okay, although I still have bad stuttering at the Nordschleife. I was wondering how I should set the game for good performance without compromising the graphics too much. What settings can I keep to a reasonable level? Screenshot 2020-06-27 오후 1_07_22.png 시스템 2020-06-27 오후 1_08_30.png Screenshot 2020-06-27 오후 1_07_11.png

2. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Whoops, forgot to write the Graphics card.
    GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, driver version 445.75...

3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

On my last CPU/GPU compbo Nords was always an issue. Especially around dusk and dawn. I suggest you try lowering oponent detail, shadows, road reflection and maybe texture filter.
    Visble vehicles can drop to 12 or so too.
    set auto detail FPS to 60.

4. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Check this thread for details:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rmance-guide-on-how-to-prevent-low-fps.61265/

To summarize, for your use case, you should set everything to off/minimum, except:
    Texture detail: Full
    Texture filter: 16x
    Anti aliasing level between 0 or 2 (depends how much texture quality matters to you)

Auto detail FPS I would always suggest to run OFF. Instead do as instructed in the thread I linked - set a FPS limiter to match your refresh rate and make sure you can hit it.

5. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

Thank you for the information, I'll try this out tomorrow!!

Risto Kappet likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

This can help you intelligently adjust the graphic settings (rF2 + nvidia control panel + supersampling in VR or resolution + AA), that is to say to make the right choices according to your real and personal priorities.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/graphic-adjustment-and-performance-tool.65998/

Beware of racing conditions which can totally destroy performance :

24 cycle, timescale, AI number, visible AI, rain.....

You can deactivate particles in the rearview player.json.

Reducing the details in the stands (0.01) can be useful I think.

The lower the sun, the more the shadows destroy performance.

To reduce the use of VRAM and increase the FPS, I recommend the car details to a minimum.

The visible AI setting has a huge impact on FPS.

I do not recommend putting more than 30 AI.

Disable soft particles.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Probably should not be using texture detail at full either with a 3 GB graphics card, tracks like Le Mans and Nords are quite heavy on GPU VRAM and once you go above the limit, it's a likely cause for stutters.

8. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

I've been experimenting with the suggestions you all have posted, I need to do more experimenting with the texture filter and anti-aliasing settings, though. So far, the stuttering was gone, I had no problems on the first run at the Nurburgring 24 circuit with 24 AI, with the settings in the photos, but in-game, the AA settings were set to none. I shut the game and restarted, but AA was now set to level 1 and I just drove again anyway. It was fine until I reached the 2nd carousel, it stuttered like crazy, the screen stopped at least 4 times down the final straight of the Nords...

Rain and night settings don't affect performance at Spa or Le Mans, they worked fine in the settings in my first post. I reduced visible vehicles from 20 to 15 and did a run on the Nords, and the rain lag started kicking in from the 1st corner after the GP circuit.

I noticed there were 2 player.json files in my RF2 folder.... I haven't set the frame limit in the .json file, but I did set Rearview particles to "false" in both files. I'm new to these game file tweaks, so I probably have no idea what I'm doing.

To be honest, I didn't really see a HUGE decrease in the overall look of the game, so I'm quite relieved. :)

Attached Files:

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, there are 2 player.json files.
    One for the single and multiplayer and one for the DevMode.
    If you don't use the DevMode, you only have to edit the player files from the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    and not the ones from the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\UserData
    ;)

10. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

I tried following some steps on the .json file, and I changed everything accordingly apart from the visible headlights. I might get back to that.
    My refresh rate is 60hz, so I set it to 60FPS. For the first test, I had AA to off, and performance at the Nurburgring was great with 19 AI, but the graphics seemed to somehow break, it's hard to notice, but it feels like tiny tiny stutters, and it gets on your nerves sometimes. Ctrl+F displayed that the FPS was just fine, Minimum 59, Max 61, Average 60.something.... Wonder what that was.

I'm also using something called Razer Cortex, they claim that it increases performance by shutting down processes... The green bar in Ctrl+C was usually maxed out all the time until today, now it's about three quarters or less, same with the purple bar. I dunno if it's the optimizer or the changes I made to the .json file.

How much performance does Anti-Aliasing cost? When I turned it back to Level 1, I had some stuttering at Le Mans with 19 AI, 15 visible. It was less extreme than previous cases, but is it the AA that causes this? With AA off, the graphics were kind of off...
    As you can probably tell, I really don't know my way around these things... If there's something I'm doing wrong, please let me know!! Thanks

Attached Files:

11. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Stuttering, when AI is close, is this not due to limited cpu power?
    I experience it with +25 AI cars.

Hence not a graphical problem?

12. stonec

stonec Registered

No, AA doesn't cause stuttering. Your in-game settings all look good now, so I reckon the only thing you can do now is work on your PC. Things like:

- Check that your i7 is running at 3.7 GHz without throttling down when gaming (any kind of CPU monitoring tool running in background, even Windows task manager should show this)
    - Check that you are not running out of RAM or VRAM (monitoring tools like Afterburner can keep track of all this in background)
    - Make sure you have latest GPU drivers, Windows version, etc. installed

Risto Kappet likes this.
  13. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

I support the message above.

The slight consistent stutters you are feeling might be you just not being used to the lower framerate. Even on 60hz, you could feel a difference between 60 or 120 fps for example. But in your use case, I suggest to keep it at 60 and get used to it.
    Min/max of 59/61fps is normal, thats just how the frame limiter works. You can try the limiter 59 or 61 just to see if it changes how you feel.

How much performance what setting costs you, you can see yourself by seeing how much the GPU usage increases, when you have FPS capped. Or how much FPS decreases, when you have FPS uncapped. But higher load should not cause stuttering. Stuttering itself is caused by either hitting 100% GPU usage (or some other bottleneck) or any other interruptors.

For graphics settings, like in my thread, I suggest always having everything turned to minimum, except AA, texture and texture filtering settings. You still have several settings turned too high, instead of which you could gain performance or turn up textures to higher levels.

14. ThomasJohansen

this is stuttering, it happens in my end when my cpu cant follow:

at 41:18

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  15. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

Its the spa track that makes stutters, not the game itself, the track is unoptimised

16. ThomasJohansen

also happens at le mans with too many AI, but as I mentioned its most likely a cpu problem not graphical.

17. Dongwoo Kang

Dongwoo Kang Registered

I will take the information into account, thanks for the suggestions. Heck, the settings are still too high? I do still struggle with the lagging in Le Mans, and going back to some less heavier tracks like Zandvoort, I noticed some lag there for some reason.. It was strange because I was using maxed out settings there with 19 AI there before I got the new tracks and started this discussion. After some playing around, it was okay.... Hmm. I should consider monitoring tools like Afterburner as suggested. I haven't checked the CPU usage yet, I'm guessing that's where I'm struggling the most.

I don't have that kind of stuttering in the Spa video, my problem is the game running VERY smoothly, until unexpected freezes happen that range from about 0.5~1s if severe. The ffb hiccups during those freezes and sometimes it's race over for me!! I understand that Le Mans and the Nurburgring are very demanding for my computer. Other tracks work fine (even Spa, 24 opponents in the rain worked fine with the first settings I posted!!)

Now, I usually had the green bar maxed out before I had to make the initial changes, now it won't reach 100%. Apart from that, performance-wise everything was working smoothly. Is it a good thing?

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

one skill to learn, is to freeze your hands when the on-screen freeze occurs. Just for that moment, stop, then continue. It will help prevent the wrecks.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The green bar won't be full when you are limiting your fps. No problem there.