T500RS FFB

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by colinL, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's also one for the T500, but that's not what the thread is about :)

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Well sorry.
    How do we know what the new member knows or doesn't know?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I have to admit I assumed from the fact they asked about a json, they were referring to what doddynco had linked to. I can't see any other reason someone with a TS-PC would find a T500 thread and ask if they could use it with their wheel.

4. luciano mangone

luciano mangone Registered

yes, i looking for a config for the ts pc racer that feels good, the default json for ts pc racer is no good at all. i was looking for that and see this topic, t500 and ts pc racer have similar torque ( a little more for the ts pc) why you think the json doddynco is referring does not work on the ts pc? what can i change to make it work well for the ts pc racer? sorry for my english and thaks you in advance.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It was doddynco who said it wouldn't work, I haven't used it myself :)

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

You can test these values which normally are optimal for Thrustmaster (in red).

In purple, you have to find by yourself the good value which provide very low clipping + sensations.

1. Thrusmaster Control Panel

1.1. Overall forces = 100%
    1.2. Contant and Periodic = 100%
    1.3. Spring and Damper = 0%

2. Ingame settings

2.1. Filter = 0 (OFF)
    2.2. Vehicle set = yes
    2.3. Car Specific FFB Mult = 0.65
    For some rather rare cars it will be necessary to lower the value.
    0.65 is suitable for 99% of cars.
    By opening the "All vehicles" file (player folder), using the "replace by" function, you can do it for all cars at one time.
    2.4. FFB Min Torque : 2.5%
    In the controller.json or ingame.

Also, check the line OFFROAD MULTIPLIER on the Controler.Json : and set 1 (100%).

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

because there are very few TS-PC threads and resources. I've used the TS500 edits for several years with my TS-PC. Strength settings are the main points of variance.

8. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Hi all
    Ive just tried out these wheel settings for my t500 after coming back to rf2 after a long break.

Feels a lot nicer than how it was set up before, thanks :)

One strange thing seems to happen for me. I set the TM control panel to default, so its setting the wheel at 900 degress.
    But when i go in car, it shows as vehicle set and puts the wheel rotation at 540. When i come out of the game and check TM control panel its moved to 540 also.

Is this the normal thing?

9. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

yes, the normal RF2 thing
    read here, a bit down
    https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

Set the steering rotation in controller.json to
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver":true,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#":"Whether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possible"

10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Hi Andy,

If you're using my t500 tweaks setting then the drivers shouldn't be changing like that. I'm not sure but I think this would mess with the counter friction, and possibly other things too. Change and save these setting in your controller profile and re-load the profile.

Your profile is in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller

"Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver":false,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#":"Whether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possible",
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation":true,
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation#":"Whether to limit the maximum steering wheel rotation in software"

Andy Bonar likes this.
  11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Is this the RF2 default?

12. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Thanks Doddy
    Just checked my json and that was how it was set already. I did copy the content of your one on RD into mine before if thats the reason why?
    Andy

13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It sounds like you might not have loaded the profile into RF2. If it's loaded, then the active configuation will be in Drive:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Controller.JSON

Can you verify that in this active profile, the settings are the same as the T500 tweaks aswel as:

14. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Yes, I saved the json as a new profile and loaded it up in rf2.
    Just ran it again, set TM to default at 900, went into game its showing as vehicle set 540. Feels fine in terms of rotation.
    Leaving game, TM has gone to 540 degrees.

If its nothing to worry about, im fine with it, im not racing anything other than rf 2 at the moment, so the TM panel thing might not be an issue

Heres an extract from the json:

"Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default":900,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default#":"Default maximum wheel range to use when not read from driver, from 40 to 1440 degrees",
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#":"Whether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possible",
    "Steering Wheel Range":540,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation#":"Whether to limit the maximum steering wheel rotation in software",

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Andy Bonar in the file change the minimum torque to a larger value, save it, then check it's changed in the game. That way you know if you're editing the correct file.

16. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ahhhh....i just spotted something.
    I have been changing my json file in here:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller
    But i have just found this one
    D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player

Have i been changing the wrong one?

17. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Ok, so i am confused.
    I changed the minimum torque setting in D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\controller.json and it has changed the value in game

However, all the other changes I made this morning were in D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\tweaked.json (my saved controller profile) and I can feel the new wheel settings.

Do I need to change both files?

It seems to be pulling different information from both files

18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

You've confused every one now Andy haha.

So, you have your list of editable controller profiles in the 'controller' folder - this is where you can make changes (outside of the game menus), and also add and delete profiles.

Once your happy and have saved a JSON profile in this 'controller' folder, you need to open RF2, go into options>controllers and then find the profile in the list and click load. The profile will now be the active profile.

Any changes in the game menus will not edit your custom JSON (stored in the controller folder) until you click 'Save' in game. They will however change the active controller profile (unsaved changes, if you like) to the 'player/contoller.json' when you next exit the game, and this profile will be reloaded when you next open the game. You can't edit this profile as the game will just ignore your changes, you must make changes to the preset in the controller folder.

Here are the steps to load the T500 tweaks, follow them carefully:

1. Be sure to have the latest T500 firmware.

2. Set TM profiler to default. Then move 'overall strength' to 100%.

3. Copy all the text from the attached file and paste it over the "Force Feedback" section in your controller profile in rFactor 2\UserData\Controller.

3b. Change the following values to:
    Save the profile.

4. Open RFactor, go to controls options, click load and find the profile you just saved. Accept.

5. When in the pit menu, 'Car-Specific FFB Multi' is available. Most cars will be best beween 0.60 - 1.00. I recommend using Simhub for a visual ffb meter to help properly set it for each vehicle; only very infrequent clipping is desirable.

Hope this helps

Andy Bonar likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That adds a little more confusion. I personally just edit the controller.json and never save or load profiles in the game. So either save and load and edit your custom profile json, or just use and edit the controller.json. The first option does give you your own file that the game won't replace or possibly corrupt, so that's an advantage.

If you don't already have simhub be aware it's not free and FFB clipping alone isn't a good reason to pay for it. You can log telemetry with DAMPlugin and view it in Motec i2Pro, free. You can also ask others for a particular car's ideal FFB Mult, as it's the same for everyone in broad terms (slight user preference re clipping vs overall force level).

20. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

That does help, I will follow that this morning and see where i went wrong.. Many thanks for the detailed guide