Steam Summer Sale 2020!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

So I have to buy content immediately to be a supporter.....OK.
    When it comes to content I have all but Ferrari, M2, Monaco and the late Formula E content so the sales this time were never going to help me, it's not about sales
    I've spent the best part of the last 4 years trying to find the magic in the tyre and physics, hence my constant call for more modding tools, documentation etc. But it's not about modding.
    I saw this coming a long time ago. And the times I said it went largely unnoticed until probably the last content release or so(maybe last sale). One thing I have never really brought up is the actual cost or discounts. All I want to see is to make it easier for anybody to join a server and the 1 car/1 circuit scenario is the best way to achieve it. With the way it was, it was confusing and messy. All this has done is tidy it up for now. But it has annoyed, just from the quick glance on Discord and here, some "supporters" which doesn't help matters when it is some of those that help new people navigate the early path in rFactor 2 through our involvement in leagues etc.

jlnprssnr and Juergen-BY like this.
  2. Raam Adithyan

Raam Adithyan Registered

Just got the reiza pack at 50%. six awesome cars and four great tracks is literally a steal !

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Single items will never work online. Bigger packs is the only way to reduce fragmentation and have a working competition system. The moves now made are in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    pkelly likes this.
  4. evi

evi Registered

Agree with your sentiment, but problem is S397 on one hand reduced fragmentation and on the other increased it again by removing option to complete the set for GT3 and for GTE - main racing content. If people have incomplete set and want to complete it - they have to spend more than before and buy duplicate.
    Can S397 just put previous packs back in shop to allow people complete their sets?

5. lagg

lagg Registered

That would force them to make a discount in the previous GT3 packs and it's possible that they don't want to do this.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Apparently you're not a supporter :p

qusimano, EsxPaul and TheGame316 like this.
  7. evi

evi Registered

Why? Not all items in shop have discount, so put them back without discount.

BRUNO MORAES SOUZA likes this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

If S397 don't make a discount, people would say that the price of the old GT3 packs is unfair compared with the new one

9. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

A bit of critique of the offers

What if you own the 1G FE pack and Sebring

So what happens to the surplus after you gone out and brought them

I already got the complete GT3 and Endurance pack, minus the Ferrari as I'm waiting for the GT3 - but then, what will I gain from running out to buy the 488 GTE now rather than wait for a pack - I don't have anybody I could give them to - plus I'm not going to hand them free to anybody

10. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

They have already fragmented the GTE class. In the near future, the Ferrari GT3 will come and fragment the GT3 class....maybe another pack then hey.
    And then when life in the real world restarts the unreleased unknown car that was to be released in line with the real life launch will more than likely fragment one of those packs/classes again.(As I said earlier, my bet is the Toyota Hypercar fragmenting Endurance pack/class).

11. Comante

Comante Registered

This is clearly a promotion aimed at monetizing the Le Mans exposure to a fresh playerbase. There are no packages that suits long time users? You are not forced to compulsively buy stuff just because is discounted!
    Now you don't understand why they have done this instead of that? Simply don't buy things that does not suit you.
    Probably in the upcoming weeks things will be changed again, maybe that time you will find an interesting deal.
    The Ferrari missing from the package because probably will have his own bundle (remember, this is a licensed Ferrari, Ferrari can and to dictate their rules).
    My hopes is that July/August will be a turnpoint in RF2 life, and giving an online place to make the new players have fun, would be a winning move.
    Who knows, maybe in two months why they made some choices will be clear, in the mean time... don't wast money if you already own 90% of the discounted content.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Just tested this. What happens is that you will get items you bought previously listed twice in Steam inventory because Steam treats them as separate purchases. However, more importantly, there is only one workshop item, so you won't have any content duplicated on the HDD or in-game.

13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Wich is bad. Why waste the opportunity to get more people into the sim and on the servers during one of the biggest sales on Steam shortly ofter the Le Mans success while offering attractive, transparent packages (new and old) and making it a win win situation for everyone instead of favoring only one side (by offering the Le Mans experience for 40 bucks minimum) and making it even worse for the other? There is a saying: never change a running system and this applies especialy to DLCs. It would be easy just to take a glance at the other platforms and see how it is done there. Kunos never changed any of their DLCs and even improved it to the point that AC is propably their biggest problem when it comes to marketing ACC. I am not expecting S397 to drop the prices up to that point, but now I essentialy have to spend more money than before the sale wich is ridiciolous and I find it funny that we are still discussing this. We wouldn't have this discussion if the old packs were still there, but now I am looking at the store page not knowing what I should do when I should be spending my money on rF2 content, wich is essentialy the whole point of this sale and S397s main task - aka selling stuff. :rolleyes:

14. Godwind Racing

Godwind Racing Registered

I thought S397 did this in every June - I brought the 1G FE, Kartsim and the first GT3 pack same time 2 years ago
    So that means, we the long term users are nothing? Just idiots who are willing to throw money at nothing. Thank lord, I refuse to throw money full price at this (and all other sims). The developer is trying to imply, we're like the Blackpink stans, they (the band) will happily sell their fans their used panties for $200

My biggest gripe with devs is that they treat people who supported them like idiots; not just S397

Besides thouse I mentioned, the Kartsim, and Reiza (which I had free) pack, this does not make it 90% of content I own

Juergen-BY likes this.
  15. mister dog

mister dog Registered

IMO it would be nice to do something like a 25% discount on all content, so 25% of every car and track (apart from the newly released ones), so those who picked up previous packs also get a discount picking up missing content in their collection, and can enjoy a summer sale just like the new users getting into Rf2. No use buying complete packs when you already own most of the stuff in them.

16. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

@Lazza, after reading more comments after my own, I realize the bigger problem, as you also noted, in feeling forced to buy one missing car because you can't race online against people with the full set. I only do offline so did not know about this hiccup. That definitely sucks. Probably an impossible technical hurdle because for all cars to render correctly on the client connected to a full-field server, the missing models must be locally saved. Temp encrypted download and decrypt only when connected to the hosting server? Still imperfect. Wonder how other games handle this.

17. rd.king

rd.king Registered

fair is subjective.
    look at the expansion track pack $28.21 cad
    Nurbs $18.34 cad
    Sebring $13.75 cad
    Monaco $13.75 cad
    lemans $ 16.81 cad
    all those together $62.65
    now I already own Nurbs and Sebring $32.09 cad combined.
    If I want to buy Monaco and Lemans it will be $30.56
    or I could buy the pack, half of which I already paid full price.
    for the amount of $28.21 cad and save $2.35 which is the RUB.
    now If the tracks were all simply 25% off I would happily buy them
    Monaco $13.75 cad - $3.43 = $10.22
    lemans $ 16.81 cad - $4.20 = $12.60
    so I would buy the 2 tracks I want for $22.82 and save $7.63
    which happens to be the price of the new Ferrari that I would then buy.
    So instead of selling me 3 item with a modest discount on 2 of them.
    they are selling me nothing and souring my tastes for any future purchases.

PS
    Before you point out that it's all small change.
    like 30% of the population I'm off work right now.
    so my entertainment dollars need to be utilized to the fullest.

18. RockShark

RockShark Registered

I think you may find the car to be released in line with the real one was the Radical XX. The other car hinted at in the April roadmap would be the Ferrari.

19. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

No, the May Roadmap stated(after release of Radical and Ferrari) - "The unannounced car we mentioned last month will remain like that for a little while longer."

Anyway it seems that the dissatisfaction is growing. Just a quick morning read across social media, RD, Discord and even steam discussions show that the majority of people think that S397 have dropped the ball and really let down their core userbase in the hopes of attracting new players.
    One mistake I am seeing is people looking at the situation in terms of just this sale but when there is no sale the situation is worse. On the total, we are not that far off in content pricing to iRacing minus the monthly subscription yet we are required at every new vehicle release to pay more if we want to access that are more likely to be populated, even if we have no intention of ever driving that vehicle. And with the always upcoming competition system and UI, it will always have the up to date roster of vehicles.

20. Lethal

Lethal Registered

@Christopher Elliott will there be any changes about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.