Low cpu and gpu usage, low fps?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by pety100, May 22, 2020.

1. pety100

pety100 Registered

Yeah I think Ryzen 5 1600 is not good for this game. I have a lot of microstuttering when there is a crash on somewhere on the track but this happens only in multiplayer maybe because AI cars dont go off the track and dont crash.. and I have low fps sometimes when I have lower GPU usage. I need an upgrade then. But this is the only game which is so one core heavy, I have no fps issues in any other game. I think will upgrade to a R3 3300X. The R5 3600 is too expensive for me, so the 3300X is a good middle way lets say like that. At least I hope so. What do you think about R3 3300X, good choice for rFactor 2? As I watched benchmark videos I saw that in games this cpu can keep up with a R5 3600 which in very cool for its price.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. pety100

pety100 Registered

Today I had a race in Korea with the Nissan GT500 car. There was 2 race. In the first race I had a lot of microsutters / lag spikes or whatever.... For example the end of the first race I experienced this:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineRoughWafflePJSalt
    (watch the framerate and frame time graph)

Well, during the race(s) I experienced the same, but not so often and a bit less spikes, maxbe 1 or 2 per lap. On the qualifying session I had 2-3 lag spikes on my lap too. I played on medium graphics directly to avoid any of this, but something was not good. The problem, that I'm not sure this is caused by my CPU. I'm a bit afarid that not my CPU is the reason for these kind of lags because even on medium graphics with low shadows I experienced these. :confused::confused::confused:

3. Maxximo

Maxximo Registered

I made a video x you, again no microsutters / lag spikes here . Smooth steady 75 fps vsync on and fresh temps below 60 c x both cpu n gpu ( Be quiet cpu air cooler) higher temps whit the vsync off about 70 c the gpu 60c cpu and 120 fps average
    While usually cpu run at 3.8 @ this time went for a stock speed and still all runs as smooth as butter

pety100 likes this.
  4. pety100

pety100 Registered

What vsync do you use? In-game? Anyway, I have these lag spikes only in online / multiplaye and I don't know why, because I read that playing in multiplayer uses less cpu than playing with AI cars. That's why I'm not sure if this is a CPU problem. Why only in multiplayer? I have very stable Digi1000 gigabit internet, so it's not a network problem I think. I have replay off, I really tried all of the lags and fps problem solve tricks I read on the forums. Something is not okay. But again, its only in multiplayer... or at least I experience these fps lag problems only in multiplayer.

5. Davvid

Davvid Registered

So, it's all good. No problem with any bottlnecks.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Your RAM usage goes up when those spikes happen, from around 5100 MB to 5300 MB at end of clip. So something gets loaded in and out of your RAM, either a background app or the game. The game should keep most things in RAM all the time, so could be something starting in the background.

R3 3300X is a great gaming CPU indeed, as long as the game doesn't need lots of cores and threads (which is the case for sim racing). So not a hugely future proof CPU, but will probably give you the best FPS in current gen sims aside from the 10th gen Intels.

pety100 likes this.
  7. pety100

pety100 Registered

You can't be sure from a video where there is no other cars, just me and the track. But as I wrote I have problems in multiplayer.

So something is making these lags in multiplayer but nobody knows why. So my question is still the same, what the .... was that?
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineRoughWafflePJSalt

8. pety100

pety100 Registered

I'm almost sure that nothing starting in the background. I have a fresh install of windows 10. I have no startup programs only the required softwares for my wheel and mouse..etc. So maybe this is a RAM problem? Should I try to take out one memory module and test the modules one by one? But the problem only presents in multiplayer, and in other games I don't have problems, so I'm not sure its the RAM ...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  9. pety100

pety100 Registered

My first twitch clip was after I finished the race. So maybe could be because of others escaped to the box or crashed to the wall after finishing...(but this is not a reason for the lags anyway...) so here is an another clip from the qualifying session. Here there are 5 spikes in 30 seconds, so you can see it easily. These are small lags, but it's very annoying and frustrating.
    so the clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpartialEnchantingSpiderRuleFive

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020