Latest news - 24 hours of Le Mans Virtual

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Deleted member 24698, May 15, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Really? Do you have a source? This is somewhat funny. :D

2. Franck

Franck Registered

effectively, in the RuleBook :
    SERVER SETTINGS 24. The settings will be as follows:
    - Flag Rules – Full without DQ
    - Fuel Usage: Normal
    - Tire Usage: Normal
    - Mechanical Failures: Off
    - Traction Control: 0 (Off)
    - Anti-Lock Braking: 1 (Low)
    - Stability Control: 0 (Off)
    - Auto Shifting: Off
    - Steering Help: Off
    - Braking Help: Off
    - Damage Multiplier: 100%
    - Weather settings: TBC at the discretion of the organisers

3. CrimsonEminence

Interesting.^^ Also mechanical failures off, so let's exploit the downshifts under braking and get that oil and water boiling. :D
    rF2 works so lovely, when exploiting these kinds of things. I'm not surprised by the times anymore.^^

Daniel Waddell likes this.
  4. Travis

Travis Registered

I watched the Nicki Thiim 24 hour race stream and ABS was on for the GTE cars as I could see the ABS was green on the assists menu.

Nicki was able to brake when he saw Jesus (an old MotoGP quote from Kevin Schwantz) without locking up and downshift like crazy as there was no mechanical damage.

The rumour was ABS had been enabled to assist the YouTube 'celebrity' drivers as the ACO had control over rF2's settings.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the celebrity and less (sim) experienced real life drivers probably benefited from that and avoided a rash of braking zone lockups and collisions.

To have such a public event with conditions close to half the field might struggle with on a one-off event would be a bit like FIFA introducing a new ball design just when a world cup begins and rob people of the spectacle of players' peak skills while they take time to adapt, which they'd obviously never do. (the joke being that's exactly what they do)

By the time VEC rolls into Le Mans all the drivers are very well acquainted with the cars and sim. Just a shame about the lack of downshift protection to keep things real, but just like the 24hV the important thing is everyone's got the same conditions and opportunities.

pkelly likes this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

All one of them who had done the VEC for several years?

Daniel Waddell likes this.
  7. philman

philman Registered

Seen in motorsport.com
    "No one will be able to tell you right away why we didn't encounter more problems during the race," says Gérard Neveu. "We don't have any explanation. There is a world of difference between the test races and the real race. It would be unfair not to acknowledge the fact that rFactor 2 ran the game perfectly on Saturday and Sunday. It would be just as unfair to say that we were calm and optimistic the day before, and any driver can tell you that. We have to pay a huge tribute to the organisation team, this dream team, because they prepared this at a very serious level."
    Anyway, congratulations on that great performance by S397.

atomed and McKiernan like this.
  8. RNeves

RNeves Registered

The strange thing is: They give some well deserved praise to the S397 team, but that's probably the only time that their name was officially mentioned anywhere... Because I've seen alot of posts about the race on facebook, instagram, many other sites and newspapers, and I don't see S397 or RFactor 2 mentioned anywhere...
    This is just very strange

9. Travis

Travis Registered

I did say it was a rumour, not fact. I presume the decision was down to the ACO.

It actually doesn't matter as the actual event was a huge success and rF2 has very positive feedback and coverage.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

I see the choice to use a bit of antilock as a solution to plane a bit the field in the hardware compartment. We know how hard is too learn to feel tire lock in simulation, and we know that with off the shelve pedals is often pretty difficult to achieve proper braking. So, considering that 50% of the driver were not sim racers and probably they have not the best equipment or are not much used to it ..
    In a 24 hour race, poor braking is surely enough to kill your chance of victory, just imagine to lose 0.2 at each deep braking . Multiply by the numbers of them in 24 hours ...

atomed likes this.
  11. CrimsonEminence

12. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I totally disagree with you. There were professional drivers and professional simracers on track, most of them just have succesfully completed the VEC 24H without any assist a week earlier. Can't see why the equipment should affect the choice of using assists as long any analogic controller is in use, and anyway real drivers were properly equipped, better than us poor peasants.
    Same with the lack of mechanical failures and lack of downshift protection (a really needed feature in rF2..), watching the race from some onboards was a bit odd, seeing those irrealistic downshifts for the entire race.
    IMHO it was a attempt to ensure many cars at the chequred flag as possible, a odd underestimation of the guys on track.

atomed and CrimsonEminence like this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The performance gulf between the sim guys and the pros is much bigger too, with the exceptions of probably Max, Epps and Lind.

Most of them are pretty new to sims as well and some/most of them haven't done any sim racing outside of the Race All Stars which is always carnage.

14. CrimsonEminence

Drivers are smart people in many cases, i'm sure they have the ability to adapt through practice.^^ They get basically paid for that, because they can...

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They do, they learn incredibly fast. But then most just dont care about simracing

16. CrimsonEminence

Then they should perform worse on the track, than others, that do care. Someone, not understanding the brakes, will also not undertstand the brakes without ABS, so why not driving this car as intended and enjoying the fully broken GTE experience, rF2 delivers... :D (i really hope, the new adjustments for this class will change something).

The carnage of the All Star events is maybe also down to basically no damage...

17. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I recently drove all GTEs on the Nordshleife, without piloting assistance because I don't like that + standard setup + with the standard aero package, and I found them realistic (I have never driven GTE ....) and fairly easy to drive.

I like them, and I hope for improvements soon !!

pkelly and CrimsonEminence like this.
  18. CrimsonEminence

Try the RSR on Le Mans with Le Mans Aero Kit.^^ Have fun in the Porsche curves. :D

The default Aero pack is definetly better....but meh in performance.

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Lack of damage for sure helps to have more carnage.
    I don't get the problem with ABS tho.
    Well nvm, I think I see what you are trying to do, not my thing. :)

20. CrimsonEminence

What am i trying to do? o_O Speak clear, if you want to judge me, for whatever reason...i really don't get it.

I'm trying to make a point about the comparisons between the GTE performance in the event and for the end-user are pointless, because some people, i wrote with, are pointing out, the times in the event aren't showing weird behaviour of the car, what is no miracle, because with exploit-downshift and ABS, the GTE drives a lot better with Le Mans kit...which is somewhat weird advertisement for the actual character of driving.

This leads to statements like from Dave Perel, that the driving model would feel the most "gamey" from what he tried, for example. (And sorry Mr. Perel, but weird or not, the GTE have SO MUCH DEPTH in the overall driving dynamics, IMO, it sounds like this evaluation was made on a distorted foundation, because of driving aids)
    https://twitter.com/davidperel/status/1272071416956030976?s=20

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020