[REL] DAMPlugin for rF2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

If you need something that can help you, let me know.

2. badun

badun Registered

my damplugin is the same with the lastest 2004 windows update, i have had to disable it atm. it was taking upto 1.5 laps after the logged one to complete. hope you can fix it, great app

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@badun and @lagg , so far it sounds like related to the latest windows update, lagg if you can confirm that person has updated that would help. Though honestly I'm not sure why a windows update would cause such an issue - the main thing the plugin is doing during building is reading and writing files, so when that slows down I tend to suspect antivirus interfering (scanning after each round of writes, for example). The person reporting it on Discord (can't remember who it was... I'll try and trawl back through the history later) said only windows defender was in use, which makes that less likely but I guess still not impossible.

badun, and lagg too, can you confirm the usage method? I have logging on the whole time so it builds each log when I go back to the garage. Badun it sounds like you're switching logging off when in the car so it builds while you're driving, or is it still building the last one when you jump back in the car and takes another 1.5 laps?

It's going to be a tough one to nail down I think. Plus who knows when my own windows will update and possibly replicate the issue...

4. lagg

lagg Registered

@Lazza , i'm going to ask him and tell you

5. lagg

lagg Registered

Hi Lazza
    The W10 of the PC of my friend was aupdated last week.
    He always have the logging active
    Every time he goes on track the writing of the log is longer, independently of the amount of laps of the stint.
    Yesterday, when he exited the game, listeded three times "log building finished" and rF2 was still open. Finally he closed rF2 with the Task Manager
    He doesn't use any antivirus but he has realised that Windows defender was active. He will deactivate and check if the problem persists.
    I'll tell you more things when have more data.

Thank you very much.

Lazza likes this.
  6. badun

badun Registered

no i don't turn logging off while in the car, i was using 1.5 laps as an estimate of the time it takes to hear the 'log building finished'.
    if i do a few laps, go to the garage, go straight back out, the previous log takes approx another 1.5 laps to hear 'log building finished'
    I use Panda anti virus, this happens with it on or off, my rf2 runs in admin mode, so its not write access problem.

i hope this helps you,
    good luck

Lazza likes this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

Lazza, with the Windows Defender deactivated, my friend has the same problem.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks mate. This is getting... interesting.

lagg likes this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

His PC is only used for simracing and is a High end PC

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@lagg for info (and for everyone else with issues) the discord report said the 810 version still worked fine. So that might be an option where the slow building is a problem and any newer features aren't needed. I need to get back into this and try and work out what might be causing this, add some sort of telemetry (to the telemetry plugin... lol) for troubleshooting, etc. So it won't be a quick fix.

11. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, the 810 is working well for him.
    I can imagine that it's nor going to be easy for you know the cause.
    If you need tests and feedback, let me know.
    With a bit of luck, Microsoft launches another update and the problem disappears
    Thank you very much

12. Fabrice Cornelis

Fabrice Cornelis Registered

Hi Lazza, first of all thanks for your great plugin! We are fully in preparation for the 24 hours of next weekend so telemetry like this is very good :) I did a clean windows install Saturday and now it doesn't work anymore. It still starts recording telemetry so that's fine, but when it is longer than 1 lap it doesn't stop it anymore, or sometimes it also stops while driving so very weird. I didn't have this issue before the fresh windows install. Then when closing the sim it just crashes and I need to reboot it. When not using the Damplugin it doesn't crash while closing, even when I do 100 laps. This seems like the issue of the guys above? So your call is to just go back to a previous windows version? Or do you think there is any way how to fix this in the near feature. Thanks for all your help to the community!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hey mate,

I would definitely advise going to the earlier version in the first post. There's obviously some stuff going on with recent windows updates that I don't yet understand, and I'm only just getting back into this so any fix won't be soon.

Fabrice Cornelis and lagg like this.
  14. arneschoonvliet

arneschoonvliet Registered

@Lazza I'm the guy that pinged you on the discord channel. It eventually rolled back to windows 1909 version. I disabled windows defender as test and the problem persisted. It feels like windows kinda hard deprecated a file api by making it extremely slow or some kind of security prevention system not allowing such a big file write.

15. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Its creating a file every time I hit drive. So now I have many short log files over 1 session. How to fix this ?

16. lagg

lagg Registered

You have to use a previous version of the plugin. Not a previous version of Windows.
    In the first post of this thread you have the link to the previous version (v0.81)

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think there are two different issues:
    1. Some sort of malfunction or slowdown, possibly caused by the way I'm doing multithreading in the latest version. This appears to cause long build times, though it's not happening to me and I suspect many others (yet). This does seem to be a recent thing so may be windows update related.
    2. Exit "crash" or stalling. This can happen with interrupted logging and old files. The plugin tries to find and rebuild old files on exit, but broken files it will keep trying to rebuild on every exit (these are logged in the output file, but removing .ldtemp files should do it). I think I need to disable this happening automatically because the freeze is causing confusion, and rF2 crashes (Which lead to those interrupted logs) are relatively rare these days. That won't help problem 1 though.

lagg likes this.
  18. arneschoonvliet

arneschoonvliet Registered

I'm quite confident it has something to do with the latest big update from windows 10 (version 2004). I skimmed through the change logs but I cannot see anything obvious.
    I can confirm that the 810 version is working.

Lazza likes this.
  19. Grey

Grey Registered

I found reducing the amount of data helped.

Data rate = 3 // Telemetry capture rate; Enter a value from 1 (useful minimums) to 5 (100Hz all channels)
    // Default value of 3 sets 'normal' rates for general analysis

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It creates a log file each time you drive. You can change the options to stop it saving "partial" logs, and by default it won't save unless the car has moved, but the file format means separate files are how it works. The same would happen in real life when you're downloading and analysing data from each run.

Technically it would be possible to join a session's logs up afterwards, but that's not something I've implemented at this stage.