GTE cars handling issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KCW, May 22, 2020.

1. svictor

svictor Registered

I remembered somewhere DEV once said that with real data put into RF2 physical engine, and you will get REAL behavior car without much further tweak. I believe that is or was M8 911 C7R's initial version behavior (considered easier to handle for the most who tried at the time), probably same with the new 488. Then came the well known bop, and M8 911 C7R's behavior changed dramatically, that's why comes the doubt.

zxd1997 and KCW like this.
  2. KCW

KCW Registered

I just tried that setup, and it is quite nice to drive for sure.

i managed a 3:56.9 on the 3rd lap i did in it, then struck slow traffic on the next lap which screwed me.

it seems braking requires hardly any force on the pedal to stand the car on its nose, yet braking firm seems to take longer to stop and make the car unstable.

no idea why this is, im used to standing firmly on the brake to stop most cars.

Using Fanatec V3 pedals with the second stiffest mod set installed, so i would sort of expect to have to push firmer than i actually do.

if i brake lightly, i found the car pulls up very quickly and i often find ive braked too early.

Does anyone else find that pushing the brake to 50% or more is a very sure lock up?

3. franser

franser Registered

From the endurace pack the car that transmits the most sensations is the Oreca 07 LMP2 is 10/10, it drives wonderfully, the internal / external sound is brilliant as is the super detailed ffb. We look forward to the bop de le mans and hope studio 397 takes advantage of the participation of real drivers to correct the GTE cars.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Not for me.
    I was hitting 100% braking for the chicanes on Mulsanne no issues.
    At Mulsanne corner the front right is easy to lock up. You need to get off the brakes there to get turn in ( well tiniest of trail brake ok).

5. J7166

J7166 Registered

No worries man, we all have our opinions. To me the Ferrari is the car I get the best feel for what the car is doing. Much more predictable compared to something like the M8 or even the Porsche to me. I seem to lose the rear of the M8 in all situations without warning. That was a symptom that I believe started with 2019 LeMans BoP as the existing GTEs were not like that before hand. I have no idea what s397 does to BoP cars, I suspect it's more than just adding 10 kilos, I just hope history doesn't repeat itself again this time around.

6. David O'Reilly

With the events so close my instincts tell me that a simple BOP change if any and not a physics change is all that would happen.
    Most common BOP items are bhp, weight, drag and fuel capacity (along with refill fuel flow).

7. J7166

J7166 Registered

That's what we all thought last year too, I still don't know what they changed, but the cars handled drastically different after.

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I agree and would be really surprised if S397 actually did listen and update physics. Its quite rare for them to do it.
    BTW: official forums are the worst place if you want some kind of feedback from S397. It’s far more likely they will see it on forums like RD or on discord.

I only know some fixes were done for Oreca LMP2, when someone provided evidence it had wrong Lift/Drag ratio. Also there were some minor fixes shortly after release of some cars I.e. for Tatuus.
    They have only two physics guys. One of them is very good, but AFAIK he mostly works on tire model.

I’m not sure if GTEs and to what extent the handling is not realistic. Certainly Corvette and Porsche seem too oversteer prone for me. But we’d need to get real drivers opinion who drive it on a limit, to know what specifically is wrong and this is very unlikely.
    For sure there’s engine inertia bug not fixed for like a year.

9. J7166

J7166 Registered

Well given so many real life GTE drivers are starting to prep for the Virtual Lemans, I'd imagine there will be plenty of feedback coming soon.

10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

You could think so. But were there any opinons from RL drivers who participated in multiple All-star races ? I mostly didn't watch them only hear Nicki Thiim said something like that in rF2 you can control a slide, unlike in iRacing. But I think he drove F3 car which he haven't drove IRL.

11. franser

franser Registered

Thanks for the setups, it feels good, with little fuel and the map in qualify achieves a 3.54.3 but the car when the rear axle slides is unrecoverable and I end up spinning.
    With the Ferrari I achieved 3.52.2 and it feels more stable, the rear axle is not so loose and if it gets loose in the porsche and corvette corners it is recoverable. The bmw M8 has the same problem as the porsche

Griffin Johnson and KCW like this.
  12. KCW

KCW Registered

I trail through most of them but no way i can force the pedal down or it is near instant lock up.

you sure as hell wont get 100% pedal deflection before it locks unless you significantly drop the pedal force, and that is what i am referring to.

13. KCW

KCW Registered

I generally agree with all of that yes.

i have managed to recover the Porsche a couple times, but it takes a hell of a lot!

14. David O'Reilly

Not sure what pedal force means. In setup we used about 94% brake force.
    The braking force (as measured by Motec and representing how much of total braking effort through the controls) was getting up to 100%.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He means brake force. So he's saying you "sure as hell" won't apply full 100% braking without locking. You using 94% and reaching full would suggest he may be wrong, or very precise (and that 6% makes all the difference, in varying scenarios).

David O'Reilly likes this.
  16. David O'Reilly

During our testing we tried lots of different settings to get the car balance where it needed to be for tyre wear.
    One setting made it relatively understeery in the Porsche curves. A little trail braking was needed to get to apex and any line you could get the front end on the rear was good for.
    It was my preferred setup but with 4 drivers it was "compromised out".
    I can't remember off the top of my head but it was likely 2 clicks stiffer front springs and one click less rear slow bump.

17. KCW

KCW Registered

No i mean pedal force, as in how far you can push the pedal to the limits of it's range before lock up.

no way known he can get to brake pedal to the floor without the wheels locking.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're not making any sense.

Here's that substituted into your statement: "you sure as hell wont get 100% pedal deflection before it locks unless you significantly drop the pedal force how far you can push the pedal, and that is what i am referring to."

You have your pedal, and the in-game brake force. Those things combine.

19. David O'Reilly

@KCW
    In the car setup you can adjust the max braking force. IE 85nm-94%. This is what 100% of pedal travel will yield.

Then you have the input device-the pedal.

I am am using 100% pedal with setup set at say 94%.
    Bear in mind that with any car with significant aero as speed drops and aero loads drop off some regressive braking is needed. So you can stamp on it hard but then reduce with speed.
    It's worth noting as well that cold brakes will be unstable. Maybe one end is in a good temp range but not the other so you get a massive brake balance change.
    I warm the brakes hard in pit Lane.

20. franser

franser Registered

Thank you very much for the advice. I will prove it, these days the launch of the bop gte for the 24th of le mans will be announced, which will take place next weekend, I bet that its launch does not take more than a couple of days and we will see that it changes

David O'Reilly likes this.