GTE cars handling issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KCW, May 22, 2020.

1. franser

franser Registered

I thought it could be IMSA since the position lights used in GTE cars are those used in the IMSA series. Wec uses all three lights

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Good point.

3. KCW

KCW Registered

Not with the way it handles i cant get down that low.

4. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

I dont think VEC did BOP on low downforce package and i did similar laptimes when testing with original content on our own server. On high downforce BOP was a matter of +- 2-3 kg, nothing else.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Like mentioned...even with saturated preset, there is not a very big likelyhood, you can archieve a sub 3:50 with the behaviour of the RSR, configured to be fast and hot in single player and rF2 always results in faster laptimes online here.

Have you tried to archieve these times under saturated preset in single player practice conditions? I can believe, that someone can push the RSR to a 3:53, maybe even 3:52, but not sub '50.

I still suspect, the VEC uses a different (older) build of the GTE, when they were a lot faster and a lot(!!) more drivable.

I used to LOVE the Endurance Pack. It was even my first rF2 DLC and everything was amazing. Then the last "BoP" update kicked in, and the cars became horribly weird in driving behaviour.
    I just can't believe, that everything is fine with that broken engine inertia and strange tailhappyness.
    I'm looking forward to the 24h Le Mans race to see the cars using a more "stock approach", hopefully.

Max.B18 and Griffin Johnson like this.
  6. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

hey all,

Tried the new 488 GTE at Le Mans with my iRacing setup (I mean I tried to reproduce it as close as it can be) and my lap times are pretty close. I'm not a very fast driver on Le Mans since my best lap time in iRacing (full tank for 24h race) was 3'50:752 and with rF2 I did a 3'51:038, so almost the same time...main problem is in rF2, after 3 or 4 laps, I lose the rear in almost every corner, as if my rear tires were completely worn off...but they aren't.

Another thing is pretty strange : why can't we change gear ratio ? I thought GTE was open gear ratio, isn't it anymore ?

7. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

VEC is using stock content so you dont have to suspect anything, we are suffering just as much as everyone else...

ACO has the right to do their own BOP in the 24h Virtuel, according to their rulebook. So do not expect to compare any laptimes between stock content and the 24H Virtuel. VEC you can compare as the only BOP done there for Le Mans only has been fuel tank sizes, for now.

8. CrimsonEminence

The GTE uses a longer ratio in the Le Mans Kit, but i think for the normal use, gearbox ratio is not completely open anymore, afaik.
    And still the difference between online and offline in laptimes is pretty interesting in rF2. Even if the grid size is similar...

I really tried almost everything. I can't get the RSR even close to the M8 in offline conditions and the M8 is also not pretty stable, even with tweaks.

9. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Setup for your use:
    I participated in the P1 Gaming 24 hrs of Lemans 2 weeks ago in the Porsche 911 RSR GTE.
    It was not the most thorough process for setup as most of the team were busy preparing for Imola the week before.
    However I will share our race setup in case its helpful for anyone.

We could have made the car a little faster over say 4 laps but we wanted to get tyre wear such that we could double stint Soft tyres.
    That drove some of our decisions and we ended with a tyre wear spread of about 2% across all 4 over a 26 lap double stint, that is always quite satisfying. That compromise and the ever present challenge in endurance racing of pleasing 4 drivers makes it fun.
    Our fastest driver hit 3:55 on full fuel and myself 3:57.xx but not often!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/di3jlzpmgcrk2m7/VMADS_Black_Final.svm?dl=0

pkelly, J7166, jo_siffert and 4 others like this.
  10. CrimsonEminence

This sounds realistic. I hit similar times with my setup.
    But i really still doubt 3:48 with the RSR behaviour...

11. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

David O'Reilly likes this.
  12. KCW

KCW Registered

What you say about the tyres is exactly what im seeing too, and it happens about the same amount in. On the out lap and start of flying lap i dont have any real drama at all.

13. KCW

KCW Registered

Thanks mate :) Appreciate that!

i will give that a go tomorrow evening and see how it drives compared to what i did with it.

i dont remember how it went on tyres, but it handled a lot better than stock out of the box settings.

I did a 3:55 with what i had changed, but that was with whatever the default fuel level is i think.

i did 3:54 in the Ferrai without changing much at all, and that was on default fuel level.

14. KCW

KCW Registered

Not that i want to compare rF2 to PC2, but the GTE cars hold on pretty tight in PC2 and only tend to overheat the tyres if you really flog it.

Infact on Lemans you struggle to keep heat in the tyres depending on track temp.

I know the track layout is not as accurate in PC2, either that or it is an earlier layout that was slightly different, but i have pulled a 3:49 in the Porsche RSR around Lemans there, and it did tend to grip more as i would expect.

As far as PC2 goes the GTEs are not terrible really, where some of the cars are downright f***en horrid.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  15. franser

franser Registered

The rf2 GTE need more grip, in real life they are cars with good aerodynamics and seem to be on rails. Here a GT3 is more comfortable and faster. Personal returns: Sebring GTE: 2.01 Sebring GT3: 2.02 imsa real life: GTE: 1.55 or 1.56 IMSA GT3: 2.00 in real life between the two classes they have a difference of 3 to 5 sec

KCW, Griffin Johnson and avenger82 like this.
  16. David O'Reilly

I can also advise you that the only performance related BOP changes for VEC were a 10KG weight reduction for the Aston Martin.
    The only other changes were minor tweaks on fuel capacity and refuelling flow rates.
    These were done to equalise potential stint length, pit stop times and to ensure that all cars needed to get out of mix 4 for some of the stint.
    Aston Martin 10 litres more fuel.
    BMW 5 litres less
    Corvette 3 litres less.
    Posrche -No change

@KCW our lap times were with full tanks. (well most likely lap 3 so 86 litres).EDIT : 76 litres.

The VEC 24 hours of LeMans is on this weekend starting 15:30 BST Sat. I hope you can tune in.
    I have the pleasure of joining the commentary team for 22:00-01:30 and 04:30-6:00.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  17. J7166

J7166 Registered

So can we all agree, whether the GTEs handling flaws come from problems are engine inertia, rear suspension, damper problems, closed diff problems... Whatever the cause of the bizarre GTE handling since LeMans 2019 that......the Ferrari 488 GTE does NOT suffer from those same issues?

This car drives like the other GTEs used to, it's a beautiful thing. This is the feeling that made become an rf2 fanboy in the first place. I'm literally praying that when s397 does the GTE BoP this week the leave the Ferrari as is and undo the 2019 BoP to the other cars.

Griffin Johnson and davehenrie like this.
  18. franser

franser Registered

I feel the same sensations as you, the ferrari feels much better it is a firmer car in every way, hopefully the bop de le mans makes the gte drive in a logical way

Griffin Johnson and J7166 like this.
  19. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Hear hear!

J7166 likes this.
  20. David O'Reilly

I've driven the Porsche a lot and I like it.
    To me it feels real. Tells me what it's doing.
    When I tested quite briefly the Ferrari 488 I didn't much like it. In my hands it just lacked feel, the sensation of the chassis moving on the suspension wasn't there.
    When I tested the McLaren Senna Hypercar I had the same impression. The car just didn't really telegraph what it was doing at each corner.
    Then I switched to the Oreca LMP2, I loved it, tons of feel. (I'm testing cars to get some key data for commentary duties).
    So sorry I don't seem to share the view but it could just be me.