May Roadmap 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Goanna, May 31, 2020.

1. Goanna

Goanna Registered

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I liked this roadmap more particularly because of its structure :

We announce what we managed to get, then we say what will be done by separating the main actions by major theme (development, graphics engine, car content, circuit content, UI, bugs, etc.

I must say that I don't understand the strategy which consists in graphically updating (or audio) ISI cars, without adding a flexible chassis if this is not the case and putting the latest model of tires. A real update is a physics update.

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Focus has shifted to onlinegaming, content and broadcasting of this. Physics, AI and accurateness of cars is not prioritized anymore, it seems to me.
    I think, it's time to get used to that.^^

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  4. Filip

Filip Registered

Because Physics, AI and accurateness of cars don't sell

avenger82 and TJones like this.
  5. CrimsonEminence

Correct.
    This was no judgement by me, just an evaluation of the situation, the product is developing into. ;)

6. Filip

Filip Registered

The product is developing into what?
    Physics, AI and accurateness of cars are rf2 strengths.
    Now they work on it's weaknesses

David O'Reilly likes this.
  7. sg333

sg333 Registered

Physics don't exactly constantly change; once you have them down that's pretty much it.

Hoping the Ferrari GT3 gets done fairly quickly, and being greedy I hope it's in a pack with more cars :D

Portland I am convinced is a troll at this point :confused:

8. CrimsonEminence

Again: i was not even judging anything. I was just stating, how it is, without any real personal opinion.

My opinion? I already mentioned it from time to time:
    It develops into a fully multiplayer focused game. I personally bought it for totally different stuff, for example.^^
    Not really anymore...it degressed update after update. (Just thinking of GTE and open wheelers in this game or the AI, that became more and more worse)^^
    Physics are fine though, utilization of it...i don't know.
    AI, accurateness, terminal oversteeryness under braking/coasting, sound, tyre behaviour under various pressures and environmental influences? Do they?

Content, stability, look, UI and MP definetly need some love, and they succeeded already a bit. It looks and feels a lot more nice, with new UI and colour shift.

But after all they had to shift development focus for that on a quite large scale away from it's former strengths and it made a few steps backwards in my opinion.

It's fine, when it brings more sales for them. ;)

What's wrong with Portland?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

S397 has had a racing, and endurance racing, focus before they ever took over. So that side of content isn't at all surprising, and I think there's been enough occasional other stuff to keep most people entertained - plus there's still modding which provides a whole gamut of alternative content.

I would be wary of looking at current trends and assuming the focus will continue to head in that direction. The recent months have been unusual and have increased demand for online racing, recent years have seen an explosion in game streaming in general, so all that stuff is being pushed and worked on.

At the same time this is all degrees and interpretation. rF1 got me racing online, and in the same way that Pong against another human was immediately different to Pong against the computer it's really hard to place a lot of stock in racing against AI when you've done a fair bit of racing against people. I had this directly when I got GTR2 cheap after I was already playing rFactor, because it offered a complete series and championship and all that (in a more complete way than the open feel of rFactor's single player experience) and I lasted 1 practice session before I went back to a public rFactor room with 1 other person, instead of 30+ AI cars in GTR2. No doubt there's still value in AI, and some people through choice or need are playing against AI, but over time the multiplayer aspect has and will continue to draw more interest.

But we've been largely in a holding pattern in rF2 for 3 years now, waiting for the new UI and accompanying competition system, graphics upgrades, all that. There's been very little progress in terms of physics gaps (more environmental influence than physics engine itself), racing rules/structure, AI behaviour, all that sort of thing, over that time - but that doesn't mean it won't happen. It just isn't happening yet.

psone, David O'Reilly, pkelly and 4 others like this.
  10. franser

franser Registered

At this time the physics of rf2 is the most advanced and we hope that it continues to improve and not get worse and end up becoming a sim-arcade. For my part I am fans of the simulation pure and simple but it is for a smaller audience since most of the users want to play and feel like lewis hamilton or sebastian vettel and in rfactor 2 if you are a causal player it is not the case you must go for others Titles. Unfortunately sales are prioritized over fidelity to the real car. I hope that rf2 continues to improve the missing details (ex: track temperature that affects the tires) and becomes the simulator that we all dream of

11. CrimsonEminence

This is different for me.^^ Multiplayer is always killing the driving experience itself for me a bit, even in sims, where weather and adapting to special situations takes place.

Yes, i hope so. Like i said: It's totally fine with me, when S397 can generate more sales and awareness of the product. It hopefully doesn't lose its roots though.^^

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Lazza likes this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Concerning the realism of physics since the arrival of S397.

Progress is far too weak compared to what I would have liked, but we must not underestimate what has been done in this area :

1) The evolution of the tire model has brought a lot of things.

2) There were also other things I think, but few.

3) For me the major asset of S397 is its car content team, especially those who deal with physics.
    For me, specifically S397 cars are the most realistic of simracing (I'm not asking you to think like me !).
    And in less than 4 years they have created more than 35 cars !!
    This is for me the CURRENT strength of rF2, a car content that perfectly exploits the capabilities of the best physics engine on the market (IMO, IMO for all of the above :) ).

My ""dream"" concerning rF2 would be that they prioritize their actions in 2020 over :

- Global realism
    - Realism of car content
    - Realism of circuit content (laser)
    - Optimize the performance of the graphics engine (24H cycle, rain, AI and opponents vehicles, VR ).

Only because I am an offline player, I would very much like a debugger and better AI.

But as we all have different criteria....

We just understand that those who want beautiful graphics, quality online (thats perfectly fine), and a magnificent UI will have what they want in 2020 :) .

memoNo1 and vittorio like this.
  13. franser

franser Registered

I fully agree with you, in terms of physics it is the best with an advantage, (for years I had iracing and in physics it has no purchase, drive the bmw m8 or the posche 911 or now the ferrari gte or the gt3 and you will immediately notice the difference in weight transfer, braking, and ffb) the new laser scan sebring circuits and le mans are a real wonder. The update of lights and graphics looks very good now in rfactor 2, with time studio 397 is showing us what it is capable of doing with this wonderful simulator

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  14. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

They mentioned updated Indy cars in the notes. I don’t see any Indy cars made by s397. Are they talking about the Tatuus. Are or am I missing something?

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

DallaraDW12 2014

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I'd love a list of updated content? What's been updated and what's getting updated? It was mentioned that a few cars got updated but only one mentioned (Indy). Then stated that a few tracks will be getting updated, why aren't all tracks /content getting updated to current lighting /materials?

Ariff likes this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Maybe S397 should have a look at this video !

Marisa, TheGame316, Mibrandt and 3 others like this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Honestly, this is such a bulshit video. I wouldn't say that rF2 is winning or failing yet, still just slightly early to say, and some arguments were fair and true, but I could have actually made video of same length like that with dozens of more arguments just to criticize. But what I watched there was stretched out clickbaity one about popular few things that everyone talks anyway. Nearly all twelve minutes of it was about how DLC cost money, and that there are plenty of those. Really ? Is this really it, really the reason why rF2 isn't as great as it could be ? Obviously it isn't.

First of all, what kind of douchebag you should be if you'd want your friends to buy any, let alone buying all DLC just to try out rF2 together, as it is said in video ? Second, is he Chris Hayes brother or what, same kind of hypnotic talking feels like washing brain as much as possible.

If you feel like you NEED to buy everything then it is not S397 problem, on the contrary it is pure win, because the playtime isn't generating income, but the thing you buy as there is no subscription model. Would you like subscription model ? Or perhaps subscription + buying content, lets count how much some other sim in the market costs to collect all items then. But no... obviously lets take AC for example which has always been very cheap even when it was all fresh, not being too ambitious while at the same time very successful - it can be cheap. rF2 by far more ambitious and less successful by numbers of players and in active development (which though we seem to start experience just now after something that was almost like two year pause) it has to cost more. If you feel like you need to own everything in rF2 and for that reason it is too expensive and you walk away from it, then it is truly your problem only.

Also this guy chooses to run a video where cars glow in a dark, I guess this was one of the more valid points for the title of the video, but he didn't mention it.

There could be a twelve minute video about dozens of other things that doesn't make rF2 as good as it could be and it would be much more true. But this guy probably knows psychology and just grabs one that hits everybody - money, and just milks it. It was really boring to me.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

YouTubers need to be controversial to keep ratings up, he could equally do a video about all the good things RF2 does but that probably won't get as many hits.

He may well have some valid points, but it's not like Studio397 woke up yesterday and don't realise what's wrong, they know exactly the same as us and then a whole lot more! That why i find rehashing old issues fairly pointless, S397 are aware so there's no point beating the same drum every month.

20. lagg

lagg Registered