GTE cars handling issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KCW, May 22, 2020.

1. KCW

KCW Registered

Hi all,

Is it just me or do the GTE cars seem rather a bit on the tail happy loose side no matter what you do to the setup???

I was driving the Corvette on Lemans 2018 track and a few times for no real good reason at all, the back just breaks away and there aint a damn thing you can do about it.

It isnt a brake balance issue because i was not braking.

I adjusted the rear suspension quite a lot and that did help a fair bit, but this car should not drive this badly. The Porsche is even worse, and lap times are MILES away from where they really should be.

I had the rear wing up a fair bit and that did not change a thing.

These cars should be a lot more stable than they seem to be, and average lap times really should be around 3:50ish, but it is nowhere near able to get to that.

The GT3 cars on the other hand drive beautifully.

Im not the greatest driver out there, but i dont think im terrible either:

Griffin Johnson and avenger82 like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm not a tintop guy, and from the video the car handling seem pretty good. Having said that, have you looked into differential setup? He alone can change dramatically how car behave in turn ingress and egress. Considering the track, I think one of the main gain could be improving traction at turn exit. With these cars it's probably hard to feel how much tires spin when you floor the gas, again, differential setup can change things quite a lot.

KCW likes this.
  3. KCW

KCW Registered

That video is me in a GT3 car though, more so to show that i am reasonably competent in that car.

The biggest issue ive had in the GTEs is they tend to want to step out with lift off over steer more so than anything else, getting the power down hasnt really been an issue.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

We are running the 911 RSR GTE in 24 hrs of Le Mans tommorrow.
    Setup has progressed ok.
    We were able to chose between slight oversteer or slight understeer moving to neutral - oversteer on worn tyres.
    The Le Mans aero package has 1 less front winglet so you have good aero balance with lower rear wing (4-6 depending on the rest of the setup).
    You can't go that low with standard aero pack.
    Our quickest guy can run 3:56 with full fuel.
    Ride height has significant impact on oversteer-understeer balance (raise the end where you want less grip, the rear diffuser is very powerful at low rear ride height).
    So yes, it's just you- sorry. :)
    But then I haven't driven the Vette.

bwana and TJones like this.
  5. williang83

williang83 Registered

Unfortuntaly corvette suffers a lot, others GTE are more stable and the Porsche is on the other extreme when compared to a corvette.

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Good you clarified the video is with a GT3 car and not na example of GTE issue.

As everyone else I haven’t driven any real GTE , but indeed they seem too oversteery, especially Corvette, but also Porsche.
    They were less difficult to drive (more similar to GT3) at and over the limit before an update that was about a year ago.
    AFAIK they made them harder to drive , because some aliens made too quick laptimes in some official Le Mans event.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  7. KCW

KCW Registered

That would make no sense if they did that... whatever they did, i hope they put it back where it should be!

8. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah as much as it could be just me, im not convinced, because your fastest guy getting 3:56 in a Porsche GTE isnt exactly setting the world on fire either is it!
    What time is he getting on a 25ltr starting load?

9. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Well the fastest guy on the grid did a 3:54 in qualifying.
    Haven't seen anyone go faster than that.
    CORRECTION 3:49 was the pole time.
    Full RF2 quali result here
    https://simresults.net/200518-jl1

2019 real life (race) lap times here
    https://www.lemans.org/en/24-hours-of-le-mans/live-timing
    If you compare real life (race) to our quali they arent miles apart.
    We don't test on 25 litres.
    If you want more data we race later today.
    12 noon UTC for 24 hrs.
    We are Vmads racing. 2 GTE cars.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. svictor

svictor Registered

Looking at your qual data, the difference so big:
    BMW M8 (GTE) 03:49.2974
    PORSCHE 991RSR (GTE) 03:51.8075
    ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE GTE 03:54.0977
    CORVETTE C7R (GTE) 03:54.2388
    ----------------------
    I have tested thousands of laps with M8,C7R,911 since last bop, and for me M8 is always 0.3 to 0.5 sec faster than C7R & 911 on normal length circuit. Also both C7R & 911 requires more driving skill, more practice, and proper setup to get closer to M8 lap time. That's why 90% racers choose M8 in our league.

bwana likes this.
  11. KCW

KCW Registered

Ok so driving the M8 and already much faster after just a couple laps, seems i can brake a lot later in this car.

it still has a want to lose the arse when going through Porsche curves, yet through chicanes down Mulsanne it is solid as a rock.

i cant quite figure out why it would suddenly want to come round the way it does with such minimal steering input, ive raised the front, ive tightened the LSD preload, ive softened the rear, but seems to still do it.

this isnt due to aggressive throttle mashing, because it has happened both on and off throttle.

12. KCW

KCW Registered

Managed a 3:53 in the M8, but the car does not feel good in some places, yet in others it felt quite nice.

13. franser

franser Registered

My lap times at Silverstone GP and Imola are faster with GT3 cars than with GTE cars, I may need to work more on the setup of the gte

14. KCW

KCW Registered

Yeah mate im sure it is something along those lines, but theyre not really even drivable at good pace on stock setup.

i can also do much faster times on stock GT3 setups on sone tracks than i can with adjusted GTEs.

Mark Lloyd and avenger82 like this.
  15. franser

franser Registered

Hopefully they update the gte for the 24 hour event in virtual mans since a GTE car should be a few seconds faster than GT3 cars

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What you are experiencing is the GTE BOP that occurred last year for the 24hr le Mans race. As some have stated, the sim cars were much too fast so both the LMP2 and GTE cars were slowed down. THE PROBLEM...they never adjusted the GT3 field to match what was done with the GTE cars. So instead of a clear time gap between the two groups, we get an intermingling of times, both by real drivers and also the AI.

Mark Lloyd and David O'Reilly like this.
  17. KCW

KCW Registered

Well i hope they dont frig about with the GT3 cars because i get basically the same times on the same tracks in ACC and they tend to drive very similar.

the GTE cars seem to have less grip than the GT3 cars where they really should have more grip from all i understand.

18. KCW

KCW Registered

What sort of times were they doing that was considered much too fast?

19. franser

franser Registered

thanks for your reply. I like the two pack of cars, both the GT3 and the GTE have a great quality. I am a friend of a former WEC driver and he told me that gt3 cars are intended for customers, so they have more electronic aids, while GTEs are more demanding cars, they have a more rigid chassis and they demand more from the driver. PS: I am looking forward to the launch of the Ferrari 488 gte

Attached Files:

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I wasn't paying that close of attention, sorry. They ran the race, had some SEVERE technical issues, spent a month or so investigating and seemed to fix most of those problems. Then they dropped the BOP about a week before the rescheduled race. Caused more than a-bit of indigestion for many of the teams. And that's where we have remained since.