AI random fuel amount, how to fix?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yurich77, May 20, 2020.

1. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

Hello,
    At the start of offline race AI cars has a different amount of fuel (for example from 6 to 70% of full tank, or at antoher race from 35 to 40%, or from 57% to 80%).
    Is this a some kind of bug or this is the way it should be?
    If this a game feature, is there any way to edit this or turn it off?

2. atomed

atomed Member

I've read fuel consumption is assigned in the track's AIW, maybe that and letting them practice could solve the issue.

3. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

English is not my native language, so may be you understand me wrong.
    Here what I have from last race - amount of AI fuel at start (% of full tank):
    1 5.1%
    2 18.0%
    3 18.8%
    4 35.3%
    5 35.7%
    6 39.2%
    7 40.8%
    8 44.3%
    9 46.7%
    10 53.3%
    11 54.1%
    12 70.2%
    13 73.3%
    14 73.7%
    15 91.4%
    16 94.9%

If the offline race duration requires, for example, 40% of full tank capacity, cars 1,2,3,4,5,6 will make a pitstop and others don't and this is completly ruins offline game.
    All I want to know is this hardcoded in a game engine or there is some way to edit this.
    Note that I'm talking about payware, so I can't edit AIW or HDV files

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Yurich77 I don't race against the ai, but that sounds strange.
    Normally the ai should use the fuel amount that is written in the hdv file.
    And as far as i know, there is no setting in the aiw or hdv that results in a kind of random fuel amount for a race.
    BTW when you load the default setup, how much starting fuel do you have?
    Maybe that is the problem, that the starting fuel is only a few liters.
    What you could try as a workaround, is to use the fixed setups function.
    Maybe that solves the problem.
    And some, if not all, dlc content allows to edit the tracks aiw and also the upgrades.ini of the cars.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

What car and track are you using?
    Does it happen with more cars and tracks combo?

6. atomed

atomed Member

I know your problem was with the starting fuel, that´s why I think letting AI practice could help.
    AI pitting ruins it since they automatically change tires even if they don´t need to, so best thing you can do right now is turn fuel consumption off. The alternative to that is you also changing tires, but the time it takes differs a lot from some cars to others so there´s no close racing and strategy possibility with the AI if they pit, it´s too random.
    DLC tracks are not encripted so you can edit the AIW, only cars are encripted. I told you that because:

7. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

I did some testing,so the numbers are:
    20 cars
    Sebring,20 laps,GT3 various cars - always from 60% to 80% of tank capacity
    Sebring,60 laps - only one time I saw a car with 40%,others from 65 to 95
    Guapore,20 laps,Oreca LMP2 - all cars have 46-47%
    The only problem with low fuel at start is with few (3-4 of 20 grid) cars from kartsim mod and it happens with only rental kart wich fuel amount is locked and not possible to change in setup.
    No matter how much starting fuel I have, no matter if I use fixed setup or not.
    Thanks to all, problem doesn't exist))

lagg likes this.
  8. Aceking

Aceking Registered

I recently been investigating why some car mod's "AI" are pitting far too soon as ex. in 15 laps with a 25 lap race stint even though they have a full tank load of 67 laps and in this case i determined the AI are pitting for "Tires". In my further investigation with the car mod in question i found the AI settings were not calibrated to correctly function in a endurance type race so with several tests and adjustments i'am happy to say that the AI are now capable to race without needing to pit unnecessarily for tires. :)

Bottom line: Your AI pitting to soon may also be a "Tire" issue!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    McKiernan and atomed like this.
  9. atomed

atomed Member

What? This is the best news ever for offline racing!!! So the mod should change some of it's settings or it is something single users have to reconfigure? Man, I'm so happy right now :)

Aceking likes this.
  10. Aceking

Aceking Registered

Well, i believe many of these car mods really were designed for online racing with little thought going into the AI settings. Some people have the belief that it must be the Track's AIW at fault which in many cases it may be but there are also cases when the blame lies in the Car mod's AI settings not calibrated to their best capabilities!

I won't state which Cart mod has this issue but it no longer has a tire pitting issue since i calibrated the AI for personal use!
    Note: I need to do further testing and calibrations to be 100% certain it all works without affecting the human side of it.

Yes, single users with the knowledge will be able to make these corrections as long as the files are not encrypted and if you use the update method as i explain below, then you will have the best of offline racing with "no" online mismatches to boot. :) https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/track-aiws.64102/page-19#post-1025913

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    McKiernan and atomed like this.
  11. Corti

Corti Registered

In some notes from Acciarri published in 2017, he explains a bit about the factors that influence fuel consumption. Not only the mod, but also the GDB and AIW of the track affect this consumption. What I don't know is if AI takes these factors into account :rolleyes:

atomed, Aceking and McKiernan like this.
  12. Aceking

Aceking Registered

13. Aceking

Aceking Registered

Hi Yurich,
    Are you experiencing AI cars running low on fuel or tires thus making them pit earlier than necessary?
    TEST: Turn fuel "off" to determine if it's a fuel issue or if it's actually a tire wear issue!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  14. atomed

atomed Member

That's great news Aceking, I hope you suggest corrections based on your findings to mod makers. You made my day!

Aceking likes this.
  15. Yurich77

Yurich77 Registered

I'm sure it's a fuel issue. I'm using log analyzer tool to see "fuel on start" statistic for each car in a race and this info is strictly correlated with AI pitting - cars with very low fuel amount on start are pitting on a 1-2 laps, some cars with medium fuel amount are pitting later or at last laps and some cars wuth fuel enough aren't pitting at all.
    I can reproduce this low fuel issue only with kartsim different cars and only in about 15-20% of my testing races. At least some of 397studio mods I've testing do not have this issue.
    Note that in every race with the same car and track, AI cars fuel amount on start is differ from race to race.
    I'm strongly beleive this behavior is hardcoded in game engine.

Offtop: from the early rF1 times till now offline players are crying to ISI and now to 397studio to let them possibility of tunning AI for offline races, but for some reasons developers are definitely do not want to do this.