Latest news - 24 hours of Le Mans Virtual

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Deleted member 24698, May 15, 2020.

1. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

This is amazing news well done, can’t wait to see what the F drives like!

R.Noctua, billyblaze, Dookie and 4 others like this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

"The Ferrari 488 GTE and GT3 will be added to our already big roster of Endurance and GT racing cars. If you already own the Le Mans track and other items from that pack, you will be able to buy the new cars to complete your content library."

Do you think we will have other cars than the 2 Ferraris in this pack ?

A track also perhaps, probably not ? SPA......

Very happy to have Ferrari.

3. Connor

Connor Registered

Woah ! Molto Bene !! Buon lavoro :D:D:D:D What a great bit of News Fairplay & Welcome To rf2 Ferrari :cool: :)Now where can I by Virtual Turtle Wax :);) Fangio.gif

4. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

Holy plot twist Batman!!!....incredible news!!!

R.Noctua likes this.
  5. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

F me all night long!!! (it's a 24 hr. race):D

Emery and DrivingFast like this.
  6. Ermz

Ermz Registered

That's awesome. Congrats to 397 for tying up that partnership for the virtual Le Mans.

Any news on release date for the Ferrari cars? Need to cover this on the channel ASAP!

Levelup1 likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

prior to the Le Mans event so June at the latest.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What did you understand: that there would be new cars that were mentioned or that maybe there will be other cars with the Ferraris ?

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The only cars mentioned were the GTE and GT3 variants of the Ferrari 488. That does NOT mean, hopefully, that other cars may also be included...(new Vette for example, since Corona has cancelled the real car making the show) or turtle-slow Ligier perhaps???

10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

"The meek shall inherit the earth".
    As the current world order has strapped many of the pro racers to simracing seats the marketing saavy of iRacing brought them on board at first gaining fame, followed by notoriety of how lousy the iRacing compares to the real world. No racing simulation will ever exactly replicate the real thing, but rFactor2 is so far ahead of the pack with real world fidelity it was inevitable that it would have been chosen as the ultimate substitute.

That said, its not just any mod that meets that level of fidelity, in fact few of the 3rd party mods ever seem more than about 50% complete with physics development. It seems that over the last year or so S397 has taken their products all the way to bright.

Getting the physics right takes an incredible effort in testing, tweaking files, and can seem like an endless rinse & repeat until the developer has reached the level of reserve levels required to provide the most realistic handling and tuning responses.

Many 3rd party mods seem to feel like they took the approach of "just add water & stir". Not so with the S397 mods.

I'll gladly pay for S397 mods, and for those high quality 3rd party mods I'll gladly donate "a couple cups of coffee". I know it takes a lot of time to get it right, but frankly I would much rather drive a "Clear Body" car with correct physics than a pretty model that handles like it was straight from iRacing or ACC.

rFactor2 maks this fidelity possible through the way they handle tire physics. Its extremely complex to model that enables vastly more efficient and accurate algorithm which in turn enables all the other physical algorithms to run at much faster rates, and thats what's required to give fast enough driver feedback to closely simulate the real world.

Indeed the meek is beginning to inherit the earth in the world of sim racing.

11. Comante

Comante Registered

It seems you are right, but I don't think Iracing scored a point. On the contrary, THE-RACE has a LOT of stars, even from Indy, and they will held a Indianapolis event too... I don't know if it will be a 500 miles, as other races were short events, but we will have a chance to make comparisons.. and IRacing event was ruined as we all know by few people.

12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I guess it would be good for S397 to have both an "all star" indy 500 and a "sim racers" 500. Since there are quite a few real drivers that don't take it serious, it's up for the sim racers to show how it actually can be (look at the difference between the real driver grid and the challenge grid on FE for example. The ones causing the ruckus in the challenge grid are the invitees and real drivers)

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Yesterday I've watched the All Stars race at Zandvoort 2020 with the Brabham BT44s, among the partecipants there was Emerson Fittipaldi (yes THAT Fittipaldi) and was the first race for Fernando Alonso. What is apparent from seeing the race is that real driver miss the ability to turn their head, yes they all have huge monitors, but none seems to use device like Track-IR, they have serious problem reentering the track or from time to time in seeing someone on their inside/outside. Beside this problem, that only experience in gaming can cure, I've seen good racing of quite good level. If the real driver won't give up simracing once they can have the real deal again, I think they will turn very very competitive and clean even on the simulator.

vittorio likes this.
  14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I was cheering yesterday for Fittipaldi and I am very happy he made 10th place. Thats just awesome. A 74 year old guy, once one of the best drivers in the world, still showing the youth.

Regarding awareness about drivers around you. Yes that is a major problem in simracing i couldn't solve with single screen for many years. Even not with Track-IR. It was my Nr.1 problem in league racing. Finally the best thing i could do with single screen was to configure two buttons on my wheel to look 90° left and right. Still for me not a solution.

The only thing that really works is VR to get awareness (I use now for years) and probably triple screens (but never tried triple screens). In VR you have minimum 90° FOV for every headset on the market. so moving your head 45° gives you a total of 180° FOV (completely natural and not artificial as using Track-IR).
    Having 180° FOV and using mirrors should give you everything to be aware whats arround you. Of course there are even better VR headsets with way wider FOV than 90° (like Pimax 180°, Valve Index 130° and most others > 105°).

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    atomed and Remco Majoor like this.
  15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Quite a lot of the pro drivers have only started sim racing properly (or at all) in the weeks following everyone going into lockdown. They're still learning.

David O'Reilly and Remco Majoor like this.
  16. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

A lot comes from experience too. Definitely when not used to 2d it's hard, definitely for the older generation, to adjust to such a big change

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes. For me it is just awesome Fittipaldi got 10th place. Fighting against a lot of younger famous drivers.
    But lets face it. Although simracing is very near or similar to real racing (comparing to other eSports), it is still something completely different. In real racing you do most by feeling with your guts or butt and a mistake can take your life. In simracing you have no feeling with your guts and butt (only simracers with motion sims have) and never lose your life. This is independent to VR, 3D or triple screen 2D or single screen 2D.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Warning - a quick sidetrack. Racing drivers will look left or right, but they very rarely turn their heads to look. They rely on mirrors. In most open wheel cars or wearing a HANS device pretty much makes side to side head movement limited and even a pain in the neck - literally. VR is great for 1st person shooter games. To use the mirrors you need high enough resolution, and 4K works pretty well for that.

Emery likes this.
  19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

The VR headset HP Reverb gives a lot of resolution too. (2160x2160 per eye, or >4K when compared to single screen). Still this discussion will only end when there are 8K res VR headsets with 210° FOV. Which expresses the capability of natural human eyes. Then VR headsets are like good headphones now are. By closing your ears and using your VR headset, you cant tell anymore if real or not what you see. Try that with your 4K (or future 16K) monitor.

EDIT: By the way, my former 55" single screen TV even only gave me like 30° FOV when i set FOV to be realistic. With that FOV you might see your whole racing wheel, but not your mirrors by any chance. If you do, either your FOV is completely wrong set or your nose touches your monitor. As said, all VR headsets have at least >105° FOV. Others even a lot more.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

That's why you should never set a completely realistic FOV on your monitor, easy as that. I have my single monitor basically almost in front of my nose (maybe 40-50 cm distance at max, my monitor is sitting over my wheelbase) so i can use it pretty confidently with narrow values and even then not totally correct, combined with left/right glance buttons, look into apex and spotty.
    But setting it totally "right" is indeed...wrong, without using helpers.

As long, as VR is warm like crazy in summer times on longer runs, still not being totally clear in image quality and being as pricey, as it is, to make it run brilliantly on higher settings, i just think, it is better for most people, also oldschool racers, coming to sim racing, to still adapt to the 2D world and it is totally possible to do.

Regarding the immersion and corner attack, VR is a whole f***ing different experience, though and i was just be able to test it on a PS-VR by now and this was already NASA level for me. I was half drunk and wore my glasses under it and for the short term, this was something, i've never experienced before, in terms of video games. The perception of speed alone is....frightening. Also other more "casual" tech demos i was trying were "interesting", to say the least. I really hope, this technology keeps on developing a lot further. (And it will. The PS-VR has a 720p screen per eye, while a Reverb already blasts almost 4x of the whole deal)

McKiernan likes this.