Can see server, but some cant join it

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by KCW, May 13, 2020.

1. KCW

KCW Registered

Hi all,

i have a bit of an issue with the server not being able to be joined by some people. I am able to see it in both LAN and WAN lists from both my computers (i have two steam accounts and bought two copies) and both computers are able to join it without any issue from either the LAN or WAN listing.

I have had a couple others confirm they can see it in the WAN list, and clicking on it allows them to join and it starts their game, but only makes it as far as the car screen, where it says attempting to connect and stays like that until it times out.

I have also had one other person tell me they see it in the list, but clicking on it does not allow them to join as it comes up with an error "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

I have the ports forwarded both in the modem and the router, as per the ones listed in the setup file, and as per seen on here and other locations i have found whilst searching.

Those are:
    54297 both TCP and UDP
    27013 TCP
    27014 UDP
    27015 UDP

I there any good reason to use those ports or will any ports do the job provided they're forwarded? Any preferred ports that should be used?

I have tried using DMZ which did not change anything.

I have turned on the ICMP Ping setting with no change.

I have forwarded ports also in the inbound and outbound rules of Windows firewall.

What else can i do or try to be able to get this to work?

Thanks everyone

2. KCW

KCW Registered

Another thing i can add to this is that in RaceRoom i can join the server from my computer on the LAN, but there is no ping shown on the list, and if i try to join it from another internet connection it will show an error at the top of the screen after i pick a car.

Assetto Corsa shows a ping, but clicking the server usually would bring the info up on the right, that will time out and say something about the host not responding in time, if on different internet connection. I can join Assetto Corsa no problems from within my LAN as well.

Something seems to be stopping some items from showing a ping, and something else is stopping some connections. I dont know if Spybot Search and Destroy may have something to do with that.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Have you checked in your multiplayer.json on your server/host PC that the ports you have selected are the ones noted in there? (the ones listed in my example are the default setting I think)
    The lines to look for are:

"HTTP Server Port":64297,
    "HTTP Server Port#":"range is 1025 - 65535. Used for file sharing",

and

"Simulation Port":54297,
    "Simulation Port#":"range is 1025 - 65535",

4. KCW

KCW Registered

Yes i have, i say in the first post there which ports i have configured, they are in the file set that way. (You wont see the server on the list at all if you dont have them set matching the file)

5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions then.

6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Do you have either a AC or RR server running at the same time as rF2 server? If so there may be a port conflict as AC in particular uses some of the same port range (27000-27031).

7. KCW

KCW Registered

No i changed the ports on them for that reason :)

other items were using ports in that area.

But i did not have them all running together though while i was testing

8. KCW

KCW Registered

No worries mate, thanks for giving it a go :)

9. KCW

KCW Registered

Ok, i got it working, i had to buy a different modem and it worked straight away. No idea why some could join before but some could not.