T500RS FFB

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by colinL, Jun 18, 2019.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The question to me now is: Does the T500 actually output a higher peak force beyond around 60%? Say you have a sustained 100% signal coming from the game, does the wheel actually deliver a higher peak force at a setting higher than 60% in TM profiler?

From my experience it feels, both physically and audibly, like the wheel hardware clips around 60% in the profiler, assuming 100% signal going in from game. Going over 60% is just a compressor as far as I can tell. I suppose there's a way to find out so I will perhaps do a nm test when I get chance.

Edit: One last point, just to clear it up, is that there are 2 clipping stages; the first one in the game should be maximised, then one built into firmware/hardware, which i suspect is actually reached at 60% in the TM profiler.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, let's assume the hardware force is maxed at 60% in the TM profiler for the T500. Why isn't that the case with the T300?

3. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Yes, exactly. Do you want to make the test with a t500? Unfortunately I don't have a kitchenscale useful for the test.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. colinL

colinL Registered

Ok, so to sum it up, which settings should I change? I've changed steering resistance coefficient to -0.6 in the Controller.JSON but I can't really figure out the rest at this point.

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I
    If you send me your controller.Json, i will send you back a properly configured t500 file with all your other settings left as is.

6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

the overall strength is decreased by ~50% ? feels to light, i stay with the old values

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think he mentioned you now had to increase the TM Control panel setting to 100%

9. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

ah ok thx, i wont do that anyway ;)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

60 to 100 is a 66% increase, so easily offsets the reduction. There's no harm in running 100, and it leaves more room generally to avoid/reduce clipping, but it must be done in conjunction with lowering the FFB Mult in most content. Otherwise the clipping will run the motor hard and risk overheating.

11. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

This discussion was ongoing in PC2 forum for a year or so ;)
    this "could" be ok if you ignore TMs advice and if you use only one sim. If not, you have to switch profiles with weird software. thx but no thx ;)

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Surely other Sims can be set to 60% instead of 100? So they end up doing the same thing.

Does TM advise not to use 100 in the CP as a rule?

13. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Sure i can set the Cp panel back everytime for other sims, or use some old software for that. But i really dont want to, because i will forget it everytime i bet, means game stop and restart. Thats highly unpractical.

TMs advice is 60% max strength for the T500. there is a doc somewhere on TM site and the driver set it as default.
    And (if i remember correct) the PC2 FFB guys measured somehow you get the best linear output at that strength.What a surprise.

Btw, i dont understand why one would decrease the overall ingame effect strength by ~50% and then increase the overall TM strength by ~50% :D (Ah no i dont want to discuss that again ;) )

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, that's not what I meant. I mean you can leave the control panel set to 100%, and change other games to 60% FFB, and they'll end up doing the same thing as CP:60 and game:100. So you only need to set those games once, no swapping required.

Do you have a link? I know the driver is set to 60% by default, but many games have lots of FFB clipping so that's a sensible decision. It doesn't mean they don't recommend 100% if done properly.

It is a surprise because that's not how electric motors work. They're probably quoting WheelCheck, which isn't measuring raw force.

It's very simple: 1.0 * 0.6 = 0.6. Same as 0.6 * 1.0 = 0.6. So overall strength doesn't change - but by setting the game to 0.6 you have another 66% room for stronger FFB instead of clipping.

DrivingFast likes this.
  15. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

16. Marc Christopher Harris

Marc Christopher Harris Registered

Hi Doddy.
    Your FFB settings have transformed my sim, thankyou!

One quick question. I am setting the FFB minimum torque at only 4.

If I set it any higher (no where near the recommended of 60-100) my wheel will violently shake when it is straight, so going down straights, sat in pits etc. There seems to be a half an inch 'zone' almost where this occurs, but doesn't anywhere else. Very bizarre. Any ideas what it could be?

17. doddynco

doddynco Registered

That's great to hear Marc :) - i'm glad it's working well for you.

I think you have those settings mixed up. Try this:

• 'FFB Minimum Torque' (inside RF2 pit menu) should normally be set between 3-6%.
    • 'Car-Specific FFB Multi' (inside RF2 pit menu) should normally sit between 0.60-1.00. This setting should be adjusted for each car; you should use a FFB meter, like the one in Simhub, to help set the FFB for each vehicle properly.
    • The 'Overall' setting is in the Thrustmaster control panel, and should be set to 100%.
    Hope this clears things up.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  18. luciano mangone

luciano mangone Registered

Hi, this json works well for a ts pc racer too?

19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Nope

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

There is a preset profile for the TS-PC Racer.