POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

As l said they have often had S397 servers up. They tend to do it with new releases and updated mods

Paul McC likes this.
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

Hey Bwana,

Yes, thank you, I just really like that this server is not related to only a new release or a static setup over multiple days.
    On Paul's server the rotation of content with various combinations right now is GREAT! And it benefits S397 that he's doing this, I think. Right now there is the official server with Zandvoort & Renault. Ok, that is fine, but it gets tedious with the same thing all day, every day. I much prefer it this way & think it is what will keep people coming back for more. I don't even have to scramble looking for servers. I have 1 favorite on my list & this is it.

Yesterday there were at least 6 or 7 others on the server with me and people coming in & out, but on the official, that I happened to log in to by accident, there were 2!
    That is despite it being official & should have gotten some more PR.

So really I think S397 should:
    * Profile their official servers more on their website, NOT just in some server selection list.
    * Rotate the content throughout the day, MANY times over.
    * Profile affiliated servers, like Pauls.
    * Reach out to Paul and have him manage 2-3 official servers. It comes with both intelligent selection AND the human touch! Paul is there with coments & so on when we join. It is AWESOME. I also know it of course will have to end when Paul stops, but that's why S397 should pick his effort up with him right away...

I'm a fan of rfactor2, fearing for the future of it & only want the best to happen. This seems like an opportunity to me.

Paul McC, U. Daniel and bwana like this.
  3. bwana

bwana Registered

I agree about advertising and rotations. Early days of ISI in rf2 they did have similar setups. Back in the rf1 days Bro’s servers where packed 24/7 using mostly one car ( Meganes )and 3 or 4 tracks . One problem with S397 is the much larger amount of quality official content , everyone has their favourite but not everyone is the same.. damned if you do damned if you don’t ...

Paul McC and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  4. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

Thanks a lot Paul, your concept of short races is just perfect for me and each time I join it is tremendous fun. Keep it up mate

Paul McC likes this.
  5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Good morning folks! Things are a'foot! Will sort out server for you all V soon!

6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks SERVER UPDATE!

(Before I start thankyou for all the feedback yesterday, I will try and get back to you all)

So it seems from the feedback and server activity that the Launch of the 'Tatuus F4 Short Track Tour' has been a big success! Everyone seems to like it, so lets have some more.... Apart from a very small issue, that requires a very small change, that may have a BIG impact on the racing today!

So i've discoverd whilst doing this whole server thing that realroad user auto save does not seem to work when running multiple track rotations.
    Before I started this whole thing, if I ran a server it would be one track and I would set practice to 'user autosave@ and quali and race to 'naturally progressing', and hey presto, the track would get more and more rubbered up through out the day. This does not seem to be the case if there is more than one track on the server.
    So you may have noticed if you've been regularly attending that every track starts out green, no rubber down, and when it comes round again on rotation (If you've stayed in the server that long), Its back to green again, no rubber or wear left from previous sessions. Well, thats about to change!

What I have done is set the practice session to real road preset 'Heavy' and quali and race for each track to 'Naturally Progressing'. So each time a new track comes round in rotation it will already be a bit worn in and rubbered, and progess through the sessions for that track.

Small change, but should put a smile on your face, its the little things in life!

Server up and running now!

7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Server up and running now!

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Have been in and checked server, real road preset seems to be working! :)

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

BTW! If anyone from S397 is watching here and you know how to get the user autosave working on a server with multiple tracks, I'd love your input, as I could of course be doing something wrong.

10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thank you v much mate! I hope your son's ok?

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

No problem! Much appreciated, enjoy!

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Fecking great ar'nt they mate! ;)

13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yes mate! Recommend it to all my friends!

atomed likes this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thank you so much for your kind words mate! I really appreciate your feedback and I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

I really don't want to stop doing this, it is becoming a bit of a full time job so it's great that I've got all this free time to do it. I'd love to do something like this full time, and I could take on something like this even when Covid is over as I could work it around my gigs and events as most of the week days I'm at home, prep for events is done there, I'm only at the venue's when I'm playing. Unfortunately having pretty much zero cash and a computer with a dodgy bios is rather limiting, if I had the means I'd be doing a heck of a lot more and running 24/7 servers, but for the moment I'll do as much as I can and keep dreaming! Cheers mate!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    bwana and atomed like this.
  15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

But damn sure having fun doing!

bwana likes this.
  16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Brilliant mate! It's a real joy for me to just jump on and catch a race in-between life. Loving it!

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Is there a specific reason for wanting to use the user autosave.?
    Have you tried just setting each session of each track to naturally progressing as explained here by some bloke with a beard.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/real-road-through-the-sessions.56897/#post-904685

Paul McC likes this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ!

So im gunna be changing the name of the server soon to avoid some confusion over its current name, its gunna be easy to remember, but obviously I don't want to loose you all and have you wondering, where the hell is the server! So im letting you know in advance that the servers name will be changing to :pOTATO. Followed by what every event title im running.

At the moment its still under the original name: S397. 3 AI MAX! LETS RACE! but that will be changing soon.

So in future all you have to do is search for POTATO and it should find it weather its called 'POTATO.F4 Tour' or 'POTATO.Open wheel' or 'POTATO.Tin Tops' or whatever. It will always start with POTATO

PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD TO EVERYONE YOU MEET IN THE SERVER!

Cheers!

bwana likes this.
  20. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Here's another video of some of the past server action on The Potato!:

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.