POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

I totally agree, Paul only uses official content and he informs everybody what content is used. Today I joined the S397 server and it installed the Renault Meghan, that doesn't happen with Paul's server. All the other servers I don't even try, because you don't what nasty surprise awaits you

Paul McC and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

What a nice race just now!
    Great little scooter that tatuus thing 8)

Thanks all!

Paul McC and atomed like this.
  3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

So on the multi player launcher it's telling me I've got 19 drivers on my server when I know there were only 7. That's completely fecked!

4. Karsten Hvidberg

I saw its the same issue on the official one. It stated 46, while there were 2.

Paul McC likes this.
  5. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

I also had the same issue with the official server, it said 46 and there was only 2. On Paul's server the number was right when I joined, but it was when he started it, I think the counter adds player, but doesn't take them off when they leave.

atomed, Paul McC and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Fuck(sorry, Feck! I meant) THAT WAS AWESOME!
    Great idea doing the small zandvoort and also Lime rock. Both running tatuus!
    That car is PHENOMENAL!
    And fit those circuits perfect! Nothing beats new, awesome combos! NICE!

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Paul McC likes this.
  7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Server closed for the night, Sorry about lack of communication been very busy and tired today. Cheers all!

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

By the way, these cars are alot more manageable compared to the last little beasties so I'm wondering if folks would like the chance of weather back?

I quite miss it as it made things v interesting, it would always be less than 10% chance of rain so if it did rain it would be v light and short lived and not v often at all, track shouldn't get much wetter than about 30% at most so still manageable on slicks, so you shouldn't have to bit, just means you'd have to adjust to slightly less grip, and after it stops raining the dry line would quickly start coming back to normal, adds variety to the race.

Not sure if folks understand the weather system and seem to get nervous and give up at the first spot of rain so let me just explain:

It works like this, you can set a percentage of rain chance, this means it may or may not rain (unless of course set to 100% then it damn sure will) the higher the percentage the higher the chance it will and for longer. I'm proposing less than 10% chance so it should hardly ever and not for long.

Also how much rain comes down in one weather slot seems to be affected by the type of slot so a light cloud & rain slot is quite light steady rain, where as with a storm weather slot it comes down like the thunder and the track turns to a mirror of water pretty quickly!

Now in the part of the HUD you can cycle through for pit, lap times and such there is a part with time & weather, it tells you % of rain coming down at a specific point and also track water saturation %. The later gives two readings 17% - 30% for example.
    What I have worked out is that the lower number is dryest part of the track (i.e. dry line where cars have been) and high number is most wet. It truly is amazing because you can make the choice then of staying on slicks and tacking the dry line with every so slightly less grip than usual but no need to put, but if you go off line you need to slow up, but no need to waste in the pits, or if there's loads of cars on track and lots of over taking going on, or you simply don't like the line that's getting cut most, change to wets and have more grip offline when you need it. It's a real game changer, makes things very strategic!

Anyway, got some testing to do before server goes live, in mean time let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ah, seems my first post today before this last one did'nt go up, which was to say:

"Good morning folks! Seems the Tatuus F4 and short track config was a BIG hit! So today more of the same, but an expansion on the idea, yes folks im reconfiguring the server with a few more surprise's for you all. Once tested and re-packaged should be up fairly soon!"

So even if we don't want to bring the weather back, there's still a surprise to look forward to today, watch this space!;)

10. redapg

redapg Registered

I, of course, can only speak for myself and i have another Reason, why i hate Rain in a Video Game, even if it's a Simulation.
    I live in a Town where we have a lot of Rain.
    So i don't need to have even more Rain, when i want to play and enjoy a Game. ;)
    And besides of that, i prefer the Atmosphere when the Sun is shining and not the depressive all grey Ambient Color, when it's raining.
    It's simple like that (for me).

bwana and Paul McC like this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well, it is a sunny day here in Norfolk, few clouds but bright!

12. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

imo rain would be ok in longer races or for the whole race, but changing weather in short races is a no go. And it very much depends on track. For example Interlagos is just undrivable in rain because of the broken reflections

Paul McC likes this.
  13. Comante

Comante Registered

As I said: if you want AI on track, you should not have rain , because they pit even if unnecessary. With races so short as you say the effect of rain is marginal, especially with winged cars.

Paul McC likes this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks, after well over two & a half hours of testing setting up, discovering bugs, The Potato getting a bit sick and having a hard shut down & Mum Mum scaring the shtx out of me having a scary coughing fit, scary because Dad had one two days ago and actually was choking, had my fingers down his throat pulling out bacon rind, scary!) The server was finally live!

Sorry its taken so long, video coming up explaining why very shortly!

So... Welcome to the Tatuus F4 Short Track Tour! Today we'll be traveling round the globe at short tracks all under 2 miles in length and as usual all tracks you should have or will auto DL from steam cause they are all S397 Content! And no, there will be no rain (as long as the settings have stuck!)

We're going to our old favorites of course so we've got:
    Silverstone (Northamptonshire UK) national which The old M23's loved and it seems the F4 does to!

Lime Rock Park (over in the US), Always great fun, its the West bend chicane layout this time.

Zandvoort Club layout (Netherlands) This twisty undulating track has been of much enterainment and this shorter version is perfect for the F4

Then we also have:
    Botniaring (Finland) Yes I know its Finland but its a far cry from a rally, very smooth tarmac here and a bit like the new version of Zandvoort, banked corners!

Monte Carlo 1966 (Principality Of Monaco) Yes folks we're travelling back in time to The Riviera so get your sun glass'es and Trilby's on. This version of the track is just lovely, dunno why more folks don't use it (it will be part of another rather special car/track combo soon). Tight and twisty so choose your overtaking zones carefully!

More's (Italy) Its not a Ferrari or Alfa but the Tatuus is right at home on this short Italian track, shortest on the calender infact!

Atlanta MP (US) We're back in the U.S. at this Tight & Twisty track recently voted one of the Top 10 Tracks in North America by Road & Track Magazine! Lots of elevation changes and a blind up hill right hand corner (be careful of this a sub 30 mph corner in some cars and situations) Another S397 track I don't see on the multiplayer alot, dunno why, its great fun!

And finally we're delving into the virtual world for two tracks that actually only exist there! NOW HOLD YOUR HORSE'S! Before you say, what! Fictional tracks, no way! These two are Legendary! It is of course Toban & Mills! Both fictionally situated in the US, these two tracks take me back to the days of RF1, they are wondefully designed for racing and the wto short versions ive choosen work like a dream with these cars! Also in reality, they are as real as all the other tracks, cause all of these tracks are virtual race tracks, just most based on their real life counterparts. Maybe one day we'll see life imitating Art and someone will build a real life version of one of these two masterpieces, now there's an idea hey!

So go on, get out there and enjoy the tour!

Cheers!

bwana and atomed like this.
  15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

P.S. Thanks for all the feedback on the cars, tracks and weather! No wet stuff today!

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Here's that video, this is the first time you get to actually get to see me aswell so im very sorry if your screen cracks and you through up!

Mark Lloyd and atomed like this.
  17. atomed

atomed Member

I love the rF2 definition on the video: Go to Steam and buy it :D

Paul McC likes this.
  18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

How about ~isr~* servers? They seem always up but almost no one playing?

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I visit their servers sometimes infact their A"Race Every 25mins" server was originally my server idea but I couldn't keep it going at the time so they thought it was a good idea and ran with it, they've got proper 24/7 servers and that particular one is open and running Clio's. Infact I need to go have a look and get involved with one of their events sometime!

20. Karsten Hvidberg

damned, I am receiving this on clicking "join":
    upload_2020-5-5_19-31-50.png

absolutely no clue from the system on what is wrong or missing...

NOOOOOOooooooooooeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.......

Ok, noticing it's trying to download "F4 Short Track Tour.rfmod".. Must be what's failing me...

No luck.. Buhuu... Was looking forward to this all day 8(

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Paul McC likes this.