POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok that was a fecking amazing race at Sao Paulo! Having a good time tonight!

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.
  2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Best night so far, superb!

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

Sorry I couldn't join tonight, will be there tomorrow night if it's up, I hope!

Paul McC likes this.
  4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Must correct myself here, thought I could do that, turns out I can't it's an N/A option in the JSON file. Sorry

5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I'm trying to get the word out at as many places as possible, Racedepartment would be great but your not even allowed to post about your own casual server in there or ask folks to join you for a race in a private message, which is why I will not sign up for premium membership with them. Might try the Rfactor Discord channel!
    My thoughts exactly on S397 running a casual server, if they helped my fix my pc heck is run it for them!

6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Should be mate, be great to see you there, tonight was a blast!

7. Karsten Hvidberg

Maybe it could be countered by saying the races always start at specific mins on the hour?
    That way people would know not to try joining during those 10 mins sessions?

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Not gonna happen I'm afraid, there is overlap in-between track change overs and in-between sessions, everything would go out of sync gradually.
    The races are only 10 minutes long so my best suggestion is if you join and it's in a race session you get in, find there's still 5 mins of race time. Well, your already in so do what I do, go have a cuppa tea and come back in 5mins and boom! Your racing!

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Completely understand. It would not make sense on top of all you already do. It would only be possible if some rf2 server settings made it possible to happen automatically.

It's GREAT as is!

Paul McC likes this.
  10. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Oh I see the problem why I couldn't join. I don't like the offical version of Sao Paulo. I have the better version from Digga. And because I have a Sao Paulo and don't need a worse version it's not installed. But now I know and I'm looking forward to join this evening.

Paul McC and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thanks very much mate glad you're enjoying it! Have just spent an hour and a bit gathering some video clips from the replays to make a highlights video, hav'nt got time to edit them all into a video now though as its Saturday and nearly 12 o'clock, so i guess its time to start the server!

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Thought that might be it, its not too bad a track but I gotta use it and not Digga's (nice as it is) because the point of the server is easy access with content most are likely to have, might change a few things based on feedback, no time just at mo, cause its Saturday and i better start the thing!

Looking forward to seeing you online mate!

13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks it's Saturday, it's 12 O'clock and the server is now up! After some positive feedback I've made a couple more small changes:

Rain chance has been lowered a little more, so should be dry most of the time but still expect surprises, because some folks find these insane cars a bit of a handful in the wet and others say they think it's great fun, so I'm going for a happy comprise here.

It seems it has been universally agreed from conversations I've had on the server that these little beasties love SILVERSTONE, so I've reconfigure d the tracks to include all 3 layouts so, more SILVERSTONE! :)

So there we are! My car will be at the track all day as usual however because of life I may not be, so as always please don't be offended if you message me and I don't reply.
    Right, I've gotta go out and do some shopping for me Mum, I'll be back later with meat and veg, and hopefully no C19. I wanna come back to a packed server so we can have an Rfactor party, so get in there folks! We've already got customers! Enjoy and have some fun!

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

P.S. if you get in there and there's a race going on, stick around! You've only gotta wait a max of 10mins before you can drive so leave the car in the garage, go have a coffee, feed the dog, play a bit of guitar, have some cheese on toast, or whatever takes 10mins, come back and drive! Let's keep the numbers up, the more cars in the server, the more drivers it attracts, wouldn't it be grand to have a full grid today!

15. U. Daniel

U. Daniel Registered

Hi Paul, what you're doing here is great, it's the only server I can join without worrying about having to install some unwanted mods. At the time I can't join as much as I want, being locked up with the missus, and she get's bored if I sit for too long behind my steering wheel. How about using some of the Tatuus some days, they're good fun as well and a bit easier to handle. Keep on rockin'.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

They did for a long time but hardly anybody joined. Most users are league drivers and if they are not racing are setting up on their league server. Unfortunately that’s the way it’s been for a long time and mostly due to servers set up with obscure content, servers with A.I. and badly et up severs with no auto download of content..

17. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Excellent concept Paul!
    S397 cars including the updated ISI cars are simply top tier quality. There are enough of them available to choose from to meet just about any desires for type of car to race.

I tried the Sao Paulo/FR 3.5 server last night and took it from practice through race to give it a whirl. A few folks jumped on than off during practice but ended up solo. So long as there aren't party crashers who join this will be an excellent direction to take.

Thank you!

atomed, Paul McC and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Shutting down for a bit now to make some changes, will post here when back up, but need my PC back to do some imortant stuff. Cheers all! Been a damn good day so far, lots of drivers!

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Server back up!

20. atomed

atomed Member

Is the server name the same as in post 1? I don´t see it.

Paul McC likes this.