Latest Roadmap Update - April 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2020.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

So if it doesn't fit your argument, it's suddenly not right to compare Reiza and S397? This is not about a poll or about who will win, it's about stating facts and taking the information given by both devs and counting one and one together. S397 was voted dev of the year on RD just one year ago and now suddenly Reiza, who are delivering something that is three years overdue are better? I can't follow your logic, not at all. Btw, don't get be wrong. I enjoy AMS and will certainly give AMS2 a try in the future, but to think that Reiza are the masters and S397 losers is just abysmal. Given the fact that Marcel helped Reiza in the past, you should know how senseless those polls on RD are btw and how much meaning they have in this fast evolving niche business.

2. Filip

Filip Registered

Could be the case and surely backward compatibility is a heavy burden but it doesn't change the fact development is slower compared to others and doesn't make it right to say other studios are incompetent.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

For the sake of the dev team mental health I hope they stopped reading these threads long ago xD

Dookie, Reiche, Ariff and 11 others like this.
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I agree Will.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    S397 are under no obligation to tell us anything about the development.
    They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Dookie, Reiche, Ariff and 10 others like this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

I don't know where these expectations to have access to developers issue tracker come from.
    Is that a capitalism consumer rights stuff, customer is always right bs or just spoiled kids?

atomed likes this.
  6. atomed

atomed Member

I own rF2 and all DLCs, how much is it, like 100€? A single track day with my MX-5 is somewhat around 300€ in case no mechanical or tire issues happen. I'd love to see faster development too but complaining about this is ignoring cost/benefit balance. What you get from what you pay is a great deal, cry all you want.

7. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What I'm about to say is nothing personal.

You have 4 types of people here.

The haters, the people who are fans (and not fanboys) and who make CONSTRUCTIVE AND LEGITIMATE criticism, the people who do not care and who make varied and sometimes interesting comments, and the fanboys who are also fans but are not objective and refuse most of the time to criticize (EVEN CONSTRUCTIVE AND LEGITIMATE).

This is the user panel that you hear on this forum. I am personally one of the fans (as opposed to fanboys) and yes, when necessary, I am to use your term "noisy", and it is very legitimate.
    I am largely also noisy to highlight and highlight the fact that rF2 has incredible advantages, which justify that I only use this simulation elsewhere.

So what should we do ?

Muzzle our word so as not to displease S397 and the fanboys ????

memoNo1, Ariff and Remco Majoor like this.
  8. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

i´m glad we have some great modders for rf2!

Filip and atomed like this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

#1 If your point have been made and if it's one of the bigger areas the devs already know it thus if, IF(!!), they want they'll fix/update it, move on
    #2 Remember that you are talking to human beings not machines, negative posts sooner or later hit you if you have to read them daily. For you it's your single post, for them they read the same thing from tens or hundreds
    #3 STFU
    #4 Go play another sim
    #5 If no sim can cover it for you and rF2 issues are hitting you too much take a break from sim racing or leave it for good
    #6 Again remember you are talking to human beings that have to read the same crap from tens or hundreds
    #7 STFU
    #8 Human beings, remember
    #9 STFU
    plenty of options

This is worth for myself too of course (I have plenty of complaints about this sim and simracing overall, especially now that esports seem to be above real life racing as devs targets).
    Dev team should either stop reading these threads or start using the ban hammer on the people turning every announcement into the same thing, this is cheaper than a psychologist bill.

pkelly, jayarrbee36, atomed and 5 others like this.
  10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Good point.

Ariff, atomed and Remco Majoor like this.
  11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This is very true. My comment wasn't made at the criticism. It was aimed at the people who look at it very black and white. The rF2 is dead comments etc. which are just nonsense comments just to talk bad about rF2. Those are comments made from people who for example have said they were going to drop rF2 a ton of times, yet here they are... again.

What should we do?
    Well, we know where rF2 stands. We know what is going on, we know that stuff is taking longer than ever planned (understatement). But we know what their priority is right now. We know AI isn't going to be a priority in the near future, physics improvement comes after UI and bug fixing (from what I understood, and that might have changed already). So complaining about that stuff not being in the road map, even though we know it's not going to be, is just wasted energy. I can make hundreds of threads about stuff that rF2 is missing and how I would want it, but they have different priorities now.

So in short, be patient, and if you can't be, explore other sims

pkelly, Filip, jayarrbee36 and 6 others like this.
  12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The bit I want adding in rf2 hasn't been done either. But there's nothing I can do about that.

Ariff and atomed like this.
  13. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

RF2 development is just very frustrating due to old code base and the small team (lack of experience in certain areas..) and I suspect tight commercial constraints. For "fans" of the sim and probably also for the development team themselves. These forums have a lot of understandable frustration.

However for modding there is no other option. In my view it's driving feel is also still the best.

I will continue buying the DLC to keep it afloat unless they are really bad.

The roadmaps are a bit of a joke. My suggestion would be to only do them after some substantial improvement/DLC release. I keep reading them and they keep being dissapointing (delay, "almost ready", "ready but not released quite yet", "eSports I don't give a toss about"). Maybe I should just not read them :).

Ariff and atomed like this.
  14. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Rf2 has a construction yard feel to it; one in a Mediterranean country where funds have been slow to arrive due to the crisis and things have been on hold for a couple of years :D. Once in a while they upgrade the plumbing once the new pipes come in, but the building doesn't have any windows yet.

I love it for what it is though, one of the best driving experiences out there and containing many fine mods to enhance the available content. But yeah I think it would be wiser to get the game in a state that looks more like a finished/ up to date product first and then focus on releasing more DLC for it as people have either lost interest or are losing it fast at this rate. And once the Rona blows over this Esports boom will settle down again.

Marisa and Remco Majoor like this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Do you really think that it makes you a normal fan if you write such comments?

You start your comment with "What I'm about to say is nothing personal" and in next sentence you start putting persons into categories. So much about that.

I have no issues with people criticizing this product and pointing out bugs, because we all have run into them. What I don't understand is people saying "the zim is ded" and it's over when they are pointed in a very different direction with the information given, because it creates nothing but trouble. Best example is how people state it as a god given fact that development is slow. How in gods name do they judge that? Might be just that creating a certain component for this sim takes more time. Backwards compatibility is propably one of the best advantages of rF2 but it also makes testing more time consuming. That's just one example. Another comment was that Kunos rewrote the AI from scratch, yet it's still not where it should be. Same could be said for the beta UI in rF2 btw. If you have a fleshed out engine like Madness engine or UE4 that was developed with completely different budgets in first place btw, then some aspects like UI implementation might be much easier to do for example. What I am trying to tell people is to get a bit more balanced with their views and put everything in context. No other developer has to worry about mods or packages these days, so they will be able to pump out updates faster or spent their time elsewhere. That's just the nature of it and now you can choose what you value more and be glad that you even have a choice. Do people really think that Marcel and the rest of the team are slow amateurs? Or how do people judge that they are understaffed? There will allways be limiting factors.

Bottom line: if you aren't part of the development process, then everything we do is speculating and sharing halfknowledge. Maybe they are slow, who knows. I would certainly not claim to know it when I don't know the inns and outs.

Ariff, pkelly, jayarrbee36 and 5 others like this.
  16. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

I hope with this upside world the S397 team can take advantage of the opportunity of the great visibility that simracing is having. ;)
    And a big hug to the PM's of S397, they must have a lot of work to reorganize and prioritize again. :p

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks for the update, hope all the team is safe and well.

Looking forward to the new content and updates when they arrive.

pkelly and Patrick Craenmehr like this.
  18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Exactly.
    I've told people that unless you are actually competent to be doing the work, how in hell can you judge what is happening.

JimmyT likes this.
  19. Patrick Craenmehr

Patrick Craenmehr Registered

I have to say was a bit disappointed that none of the things that were mentioned in the March roadmap, were released last month. But reading this new roadmap and knowing what is going on in the world right now, put things in perspective for me. There are more important things to be worried, concerned or upset about. Sim racing is just one of my hobbies and rFactor, being my favorite sim, is the main part of that hobby. If Studio 397 needs more time (also because of unforeseen things happening), then that's fine with me. There is enough already to enjoy the sim and new content is also available via modders in the Steam Workshop. That's fine for now, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Ariff, Manfredk2, JimmyT and 7 others like this.
  20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

S397 giving us Roadmaps every month is a service for us customers (we never got something similar from ISI). But if we customers don't appreciate it and every month it is some kind of a nag fest (not enough new news or people are just disappointed), maybe 397 should overthink that concept and only release a Roadmap every second month or quarter (when there are enough news and people are less disappointed).

Last edited: May 1, 2020