POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

As far as I know that's not possible, you can have a multiclass server, but then everyone can pick whatever car they like,

Goncalo Costa likes this.
  2. Goncalo Costa

Goncalo Costa Registered

Ah shame but maybe you could change the car every once in a while?

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well yes but this is only the second day of running it

Goncalo Costa likes this.
  4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

This is great, we currently have a former UK Kart champ in the server! Interesting chat about the sim

atomed likes this.
  5. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Ooh. Just saw this thread. Sadly it’s now bedtime in Japan, but I’ll be joining this server in about 21 hours! Hopefully the ping is less than 300ms.

Karsten Hvidberg and Paul McC like this.
  6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Great stuff, haven't had a bad ping yet (figures crossed). It's not a 24 hour server btw, I'm literally running it off my home pc so it's on when I'm up if you see what I mean, but I leave it runni g for as long as possible, over 11 hrs yesterday. I will always post hear when it's up or if I'm shutting down so keep an eye on this thread!

marvelharvey likes this.
  7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok so, UPDATE!

Have just changed session times to 20mins for Qualify and 15mins for race, just to keep racing a bit more frequent. Hope this pleases folks!

atomed and Karsten Hvidberg like this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

Thank you for your server, finally I can jump in, make a quicky, and leave. not a lot of people, but always more fun than being alone.

atomed, Karsten Hvidberg and Paul McC like this.
  9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Cheers mate! I really appreciate that! I've had quite a lot of visitors throughout the day, enough that would fill the server more than once, just not all at the same time! I am advertising on here (over 400 views so far so common folks, where are you?) Updating as often as possible, plus I've found a sim racing Facebook group with over 4k members which I have also advertised on with a direct link to this thread.

I will be posting some videos, but I can't use my PC for anything else whilst the server is up because due to a bad bios update the PC is unstable. Since the update every now and then it will randomly shut down hard, and I mean lights out hard, and then restart, watching YouTube videos is a good trigger for it. However if I'm in a game it does not ever do it, so I literally have to have my car parked up in the server even when I'm away from the pc to keep the game running so it doesn't shut down on you guys, and of course I can't be out of the game with the server running and be doing other things on it. So with the game running for 11 hours a day you can guess how much juice that's sucking out the wall.

This is whilst living on less than £80 benifits a week due to C19 ending my work, no savings and debt.

So having a server that I can jump into whenever with you folks is my little pleasure.

Even with this awful bios problem the little old thing is doing pretty well! This is your server:

C2400 3.10ghz CPU
    GTX 750ti 2g gpu
    4g ram
    SSD hd

I know right, poor little thing, and the desk wobbles like a jelly when I'm racing

Think I might write a book about this period of time called' Rfactor 2 On A Potato '

Attached Files:

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.
  10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well, thats 9 hours of it today, bit tired so gunna shut up shop. Lets see what tomorrow brings, with 531 views logged on this thread so far, you'd think we might see a few folk! Maybe i should get in touch with Jimmy Broadbent or something, help me out with a bit of pluggin!

Cheers to all who raced today, much enjoyed!

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

Thanks again for doing it Paul, first time there's actually a place to race rf2 socially all day easily!
    See you tomorrow!

Paul McC likes this.
  12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Woke up and open again, but probably just for one race then back to bed, I'm such an addict!

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That picture is universal.
    At least you don't have castors on your seat like my first setup 13 years go. I went and got some deep dish castor cups to stop the chair moving.
    My rig has changed just a bit since then. ;)

Paul McC likes this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Universal, How'd you mean?

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I just imagine everyone's first time sim racing is with a wheel clamped to the desk with the keyboard pushed to the side and either an office or kitchen chair.

16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

See, not actually my first setup but it's the earliest pic I could find.
    Picture 001.jpg

pkelly likes this.
  17. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Hmm, much better wheel and 10x better pedals, wouldn't mind a nice comfy chair either, this wicker thing is bloody uncomfortable and really does my back in! 15882954638012299270501416965865.jpg

18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Is that a G27? I had a G25 about 16 years ok for all of a couple of days, had to take it back though, shifter was faulty

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ahh the old RF1 V8 mod, what a great thing that was, still got it installed!

20. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You are so welcome mate, I'll be there!