Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

NUC126JPG.JPG
    NUC126_on_DeviceManager.JPG

This is not used by CPU control, it is only for user to see what voltages there are, cpu/bios values are handled on other hardware, so safe to disable.
    If you see that "NUC126" and values under it on HWINFO64, then it's enabled, and after disabling and restarting HWINFO app there is no NUC line when successfully disabled. On upper picture it is enabled to show you what it shows.
    yes it might be a bit hunt to find right USB Input Device, but usually its one of last ones.

In BIOS called AVX offset, change it to 0, if you have overclocked heavily your cpu, then just remember at it will pump heat on synthetic stress testers, my i7-8700k is pumped to 5ghz all core, and AVX 0 will put on those testers thermals pretty high, none of actual real world app do that.

only marginal risk increment, can be activated/disable per disk
    disk_cache_flush.JPG
    disk_cache_flush2.JPG

player.json
    inactiveslöeep.JPG

windows RAM compression is always activated as default, how much it will analyse/use you ram content is up to windows.
    you can check status of state on PowerShell, and sort of active compression is shown as @Lazza told.
    mmagent_stat.JPG

texture compression on player.json:
    textures.JPG

my nvidia system info and settings
    nvidia_SI.JPG
    nvidset1.JPG
    nvidset2.JPG

Neawoulf likes this.
  2. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@Neawoulf AVX is not a problem to you, just noticed at you are running on Ryzen, different thing on there.. Probably not using NUC either..no NUC used on GB boards, MSI will use..

Neawoulf likes this.
  3. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

That's a lot of info, thanks! Will test some of that some of that later. I already did those changes to the player.JSON file, but maybe disabling that RAM compression helps.

4. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried a lot of things, more than I should need to for a game that should work well with default settings. Most of this stuff we are trying should never be needed.

I tried installing new drivers for everything, turning off plugins, different video modes, using third-party apps, various tweaks. Hours spent testing, reading forum posts etc. One thing I found that cured the micro stutters for me was buffering replays to RAM. But, I still get the big freezes that end with the car running into a barrier, often but not always around 33 minutes into a session. So annoying when on a quick lap, but if it happens in a race then your race is over.

A lot of those things you mentioned are platform-specific so don't apply to me. Of the ones that do, I've now added my rF2 folder to AV exclusions, so we'll see on that one (not expecting much), I won't turn off disk cache flush (I shouldn't have to and I won't risk data loss), I've already tried turning off replay compression, I can't see windows RAM compression affecting anything but I'm willing to try it, I'll also try texture compression. Background delay timer is a new one on me, where do I change that please?

5. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Risk of losing current replay or other just waiting to be writed stuff isn't big deal, it just sounds scary thing, but actually it isn't, if you want to make sure at that is not a case, then do it a safe way, switch off entire caching for test, then you don't have any risks. That is the upper checkbox.
    Player.json around 207 row.

6. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Ah, you mean Inactive Sleep Time? Can't see that helping, it only does anything when rF2 isn't the active application.

7. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

New log. I turned off texture compression, went into a session, 33 minutes later, surprise surprise, big freeze and crashed into a barrier. So, texture compression does nothing to fix this problem for me. The full log and replay are here https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hfz4fu4rcv38qi/Zandvoort Freeze at 33 Minutes.7z?dl=0

The freeze is at the end of the replay.

Note the remaining time on the dash of a 2 hour session.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  8. It would be very good if you could share the link to the file. Not sure if this is your local link and it works. But we cant download it.

9. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Sorry, I'll fix it now. Post edited, it should work now.

10. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@M Lynn even some of those doesn't feel to make sense, please test all, then you know and us at those aren't your case.
    I had freezing problems, not anymore, those are things what I did and get it end.
    That repeatable ~30min sounds to me lot of data io problem, even disk writing, memory dumping, or even schedule memory scan, but definitely data io problem.
    There is two windows services which are acting bit on that way, for testing those could be disabled, full memory scan, run by AT scheduler, and superprefetcher service, names aren't probably correct, but I can check those later and put here. Those aren't suggested by me, only for testing purposes, because those deactivate bit more windows functionality, nothing drastically.

11. That works. Thanks

Which build/branch are you on?

12. lagg

lagg Registered

OdeFinn likes this.
  13. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

@OdeFinn Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. I'm aware of superfetch and I have that enabled, not sure about full memory scan though. I agree that it could be IO related.

@Jimmi Allison I'm on the current non-beta branch at the moment, old UI.

@lagg Thanks, I've just looked at that thread. Sounds like the same problem, although it also happens offline.

OdeFinn and lagg like this.
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes i don't think that this has anything to do with being offline or online.

M Lynn likes this.
  15. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

16. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

You could be right. It can't all be down to Microsoft though, other games aren't doing it, there must be some sort of workaround.

17. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes but why at the same time?
    It's strange.

18. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Rf2 base is older than any current other sims, older than win10 and tweaks inside windows memory management. Probably some urgent 0day vulnerability patch broke something.. Who knows, but I'm willing to believe at main reason is on windows and they broke something old what rf2 is still actively using.

There's ton of different timed triggers on AT scheduler tasks, huge amount of different triggers waiting to break when we're gaming.
    Is it counting "idle" time wrong end launches something.. Who knows.

M Lynn and lagg like this.
  19. stonec

stonec Registered

But why would Windows cause a freeze that always repeated at the exact same time while in the game? If it was something in Windows, you'd think it would trigger sporadically. This sounds like something that can only be fixed inside the game, actually there was an attempted fix at this here. I wouldn't waste time trying to turn Windows services off. Btw, there are lots of old games out there, iRacing has used more or less the same base for 10 years as well, so I don't think it's much of a problem.

Filip likes this.
  20. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@stonec and that occurs only few persons and few recovered from by rollbacking nvidia driver.. Well, dunno, just trying to help, mine is currently working fine, no stutters.. Maybe DDU?