Rfactor 2 on a potato (GTX750Ti 2G & 4G of system RAM)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Go ahead, rip me to shreds!

Here's the Youtube vid description, please read before watching, or dont:

System Specs:
    Core i5 2400 3.10Ghz CPU
    Nvidia GTX 750ti 2GB GPU
    4 GB RAM
    SSD HARDRIVE
    Windows 10 OPERATING SYSTEM
    MSI MOTHERBOARD
    Onboard sound
    Single screen
    Logitech Driving Force Pro STEERING WHEEL
    Game: Rfactor 2

Senario: Official S937 Content only! 16 GT3 cars @ Le Mans Race starts at 3pm. Time acceleration X25. Starts out clear and sunny, rains near the end of sunset and goes into full night time until i pit and quit.

Performance: Between 40ish and 60ish FPS, no higher than 65FPS as I have capped the frames due to my monitors max 60hz refresh rate, and an absoloute low of of 27FPS for about half a second.

Why Did I Do This?: Backing up an online disscussion. Rfactor 2 is my favorite racing sim, I love it. It also drive's me up the wall and through the roof! It is the most unreliable, poorly optimized and difficult to run sim on my PC, and ive played em all, well, pretty much! I moan and complain about it all the time, but I love it so much I have tweaked the hell out of my system to breaking point so I can have a decent race with the A.I, using all of its features i.e. real road, weather, time cycle, and have a race that is at least playable. To do that on a 750Ti based machine with sod all ram it means putting up with low res, low settings and low FPS. How low? Well seeing as lots of consoles run at 30 to 60 FPS I'll take that as playable/driveable. Lots of films are shot at 24 FPS so at absoloute lowest I'll take that, but i wanna be between 30 & 60 pretty much all the time, so I'll put up with the odd 1 second drop down to the mid 20's for a split second but not constantly.

Anyway don't expect high res and settings but for a GTX750ti, I don't think ive done too badly! It looks..... ok, and res is only what you'd get off a modern VR headset so I can see what i need to see. Most settings are at low, but all cars are visible and shadows, raindrops and reflections are still active.

I was gunna do this with 18 cars which I thought I'd loaded but when i got to the track i realised id only got 16, however because of RF2's immensely long loading times i could not be bothered to reload.
    Also do bere in mind that with screen capture on im stressing the system more than if i were just playing the sim normally, so without that it runs even smoother, at higher FPS and doesnt kill my puny 4G of system ram. See if you can spot the moments where the system hits the end of the VRAM!

Maybe this will give some hope to those on crappy spec systems like mine..... Or you might just think it looks SxxT!

So there you are. GO little 750 Ti GO! Be all you can be!!!!!

MiguelVallejo, Corti and atomed like this.
  2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Deliberately done on RF2’s most graphics demanding track bar The Ring

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The most poorly optimized track on rF2 is the Nurburgring GP.

Try the same test on it, you could have bad surprises !

4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yeah, the ring, that’s what I said! Already have done mate, will make that my next video!

DrivingFast likes this.
  5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

One ring to rule them all, one sim to laser scan, one ring to optimize & in the darkness race them!

Emery likes this.
  6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

More to come folks, let’s see what this little old potato can do!

7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Remember that once you have loaded the track you can still add or boot AI cars.

DrivingFast likes this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Please also include some benchmark results and the exact settings you use, that way other people following this thread might get something useful out of it.

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Please include a little more sarcasm and i might think about it!

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Just gives the resolution, the level of AA, the level of Post Effect, the precise settings ingame of the graphics engine (all), the number of visible AI and tell us if the Auto FPS function is activated.

Also test on the Nurburgring, which is, as you know, the most poorly optimized circuit of S397.

Of course, nothing forces you to do it, but as Stonec says, it would bring important information.

11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Which I will of course do. I just pick up on tones pretty well

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Plus I was busy all afternoon and evening yesterday

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

No problem, take your time and you have no obligation.

Paul McC likes this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Sorry, read your message wrong on a cracked phone screen whilst half awake and got the wrong end of the stick. My apoligies!

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

So as requested by Stonec & Driving fast here are all my game settings and also very importantly my Nvidia settings which have made quite a difference. Btw, no overclocking here, im not gunna go into it but RF2 does not like it one bit, not even just a little overclock. At least on this system. ___ rFactor2 ___ Video Setup DX11 v2.2.0.0 26_04_2020 21_10_06.png Screenshot 26_04_2020 21_11_45.png Screenshot 26_04_2020 21_12_07.png NVIDIA Control Panel 26_04_2020 21_12_49.png NVIDIA Control Panel 26_04_2020 21_13_24.png

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I wont go into it just now but there are also tweaks to windows 10 that have helped slightly. Definately run game mode btw!

17. Emery

Emery Registered

OK, I'm impressed your YouTube video was so good at that resolution! Everything else is what I'd expect.

Paul McC likes this.
  18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Cheers! Thats probably down to 3x antialialising

Emery likes this.
  19. Filip

Filip Registered

Are you driving in the rain?
    How is fps in rainy condition?

EDIT:
    I see in that video that you do. Never mind then, was gonna recommend turning off rain drops if you don't race in rain.

Paul McC likes this.
  20. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yeah there are certain thing that would give me more FPS I could turn off but I have my limits on how much emersion I will sacrifice

Emery likes this.