AI : That the level of the AI evolves during the race in a dynamic and automatic way

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Apr 27, 2020.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

What I am asking is not correlated with a search for more realism, but with the desire to be able to take full advantage of races against AI (offline races).

First of all, the observation.

For the races to be interesting, and therefore to have fun during the races, it is crucial that the level differential between the AI and the player is balanced.

Excluding this differential can vary enormously depending on too many factors :

1) Factors linked to the player :

- Tired
    - Concentration
    - Constancy
    - Variable ease with the car used
    - variable ease with the circuit
    - Setup
    - Etcetera.

2) Factors depending on the game or car mods and circuit mods :

- Different settings related to AI and different for each circuit, which can vary greatly.
    - Different settings related to AI and cars, which can vary widely.

What I want is that :

1) The level of the AI is adjusted before the game and can be adjusted during the session without the need to restart.

2) That the level of the AI evolves during the race in a dynamic and automatic way, within a limit (in + and -) according to an algorithm predefined and updated frequently.
    (1 time per minute for example and varying the level of the AI by increment of +1%/-1%, within a limit defined by the player before the race (for example between -2 and + 2%).

I know that this kind of thing exists on many video games.
    Even if rF2 is a very pointed simulation, I would love to have such a feature incorporated, of course it would be optional !!!!

Thank you.

@Marcel Offermans

pilAUTO, atomed and memoNo1 like this.
  2. Pales

Pales Registered

Sorry to burst your bubble but the ai has not been touched in about five years and this will continue for sometime.

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

You cannot know it.

I think S397 will partially review the AI and debug the rules (full course yellow for example).

At least I hope so.

Many people are hoping for an improved offline gaming experience.

If they don't care, I think it will be trench warfare between S397 and a significant portion of their users.
    I regret it, but it has already started.

You may be right, but I prefer to believe that it is possible.

For the first time we may have a credible alternative in terms of physics and FFB against rF2 :

Indeed, apparently, the last update of AMS 2 brought AMS 2 closer to the rF2 experience (FFB and physics).

Maybe in 1 year and even less, we can do without rF2 thanks to AMS 2.

memoNo1 likes this.
  4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I disagree.
    We have other (AI) problems which need to be fixed first. And (dynamic) AI strength is not one of them.
    Also I don't think your problem is anything important for this game.
    I have no problems with the AI strength whatsoever and I play just offline.
    Also should the competiton system become what everyone thinks it will be,
    and we get a "iRacing" like online "life", I don't think AI will be anymore important than what it already is.

Emery likes this.
  5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Thumbs up buddy!!!:cool:

6. Pales

Pales Registered

Whilst I don't want to appear overly negative at this time, realistically, things just aren't going to change. I appreciate that you're very passionate about racing offline, but Studio 397 are very much focused on the competition system and online portion of the game.

To illustrate my point:

- Following the introduction of Studio 397, the AI behavioural traits and characteristics have actually regressed. This can be seen in all of the recent builds, where they have erratic throttling and break behaviour. If you revert back to Build: 1109 (example video: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....e-behaviour-not-fixed-yet.65632/#post-1021861) you will see a huge difference. I actually reported the change in behaviour the very same day the update was released (they obviously did not test it and it was released back in 2018!!) and was simply dismissed. We're now two years on and that same behaviour remains in the game - despite it impacting speed and track times... It is astonishing.

So yeah, that just gives you a perspective on their practices. I could even go further and say that we still have offline bugs that were reported and acknowledged from over five years ago, yet they are still on a "to do list". I don't wish to put a downer on your day but you have to be realistic here. If they had the required skillset to make these changes, they would have done it by now.

What is the most concerning is how we have an issue from 2018 (which was introduced by them) still not fixed. That tells me all I need to know that they have no idea what they're doing with the AI code.

7. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't play offline.
    But this is the Drivingfast wishlist.
    Why not let him to desire what he wants?

atomed likes this.
  8. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

UP !!!!!!

Hi @Devin , you are working on the AI at the moment which is fantastic IMO.

So I take the liberty (for 1 time) to tag you.

What do you think of this idea see above ?

Note: DrivingFast is my old nickname.