Released Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1117 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I fired up rF2 today... while rF2 tried to install SaoPaulo (actual ver. from ws), rF2 freezed and i had to reboot the pc to get that solved. :mad:

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Was that using beta UI or default?

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

4. philman

philman Registered

Are weekly update cancelled?

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Don’t think so, this quote from Christopher on discord 3 days ago.

6. philman

philman Registered

Which is really the official forum?

DrivingFast, Emery, Marisa and 5 others like this.
  7. Depco

Depco Registered

While this is the official forums, the Dev's rarely post here unless it is official announcements like new builds or releases of official content. If you are looking for a more direct path to speaking to them or getting an answer to a question you may have then Discord is your only real option. They are pretty active and responsive over there. The forums appear to be going the way of snail mail. Still used, but a quicker variant now exists.

8. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

The problem with using Discord to convey information, is trying to find that valid info in all the garbage if you only check once or twice a day. All I tend to see on Discord, is talk of pizza, rohtkohl, realism and other sims.

Ho3n3r, sg333, Obbzy_XR_ and 20 others like this.
  9. Juan_L

Juan_L Registered

ESTIMADOS

UNA CONSULTA

CUANDO VAN A MEJORAR EL TACTO DEL EMBRAGUE Y EL CAMBIO EN H QUE NO ESTA SIMULADO PARA NADA BIEN EN RFACTOR2?

GRACIAS

DEAR

A QUERY

WHEN WILL THE IMPACT OF THE CLUTCH AND THE H SHIFTER BE IMPROVED WHICH IS NOT SIMULATED FOR ANYTHING WELL IN RFACTOR2?

THANKS

Marisa likes this.
  10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

My guess is that won't happen until after a shifter with motor driven feedback to emulate shift capability is on the market. It won't need to anyway. Once you've driven a cog gearbox you'll know why I say that. It would be like adding force feedback to the steering wheel when no steering wheels with force feedback exist.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand where you're going, and I look forward to that too - but the realistic shift plugin/program shows what the game should do at least, and some extra simulation and wear under the hood would be good as well.

That's not to say anything about trying to force people to shift properly in competition, which is an entirely different (and fruitless) can of worms.

12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The clutch is properly simulated in at least two aspects.
    If your car goes backwards, for whatever reason, and you don't push the clutch in, the engine could stall.
    If the engine does stall and you have momentum you can clutch start the engine.

Emery likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You've actually understated the first one, as you don't need to roll backwards - sufficiently low revs without clutch (or auto-clutch) will stall the engine, and that can happen when rolling backwards, at rest, or even moving forward (at low speed or too high a gear). (mod-dependent - some out there can recover from basically 0 RPM, which is a shame)

But that's pretty basic functionality, and in my opinion doesn't take away from what Juan has said (or, indeed, what many have said over the years, including back in 2013 or so when it was said the drivetrain was going to be worked on). There are certain realism aspects that are perhaps less important in a racing sim than in a learning-to-drive simulator (like a change in clutch friction if you burn it - though knowing the former ISI team they'd probably not miss something like that in an implementation anyway) but there absolutely needs to be an option for a gear to NOT be engaged if you haven't used the clutch or adequately rev-matched when you change gears - with the various permutations and available techniques dictated by the car.

Seven Smiles' plugin has replicated what the old 'Grinding Tranny' plugin from rF1 did, and I think he'd do more with it if he had the time, but this really needs to be in the game because it's so content dependent. And it's certainly something a user shouldn't have to seek out for a racing simulation.

The downside is people thinking that because it's in the game, they should be able to force proper shifting as a server option and expect that there'll be no workarounds - but that's really a general state of play in online games.

@ADSTA I'm not saying what you said was wrong, and I know you weren't doing the same to Juan - but it could come across as a "but the clutch works pretty well" sort of comment, which is only true to some extent, and is false is at least one fairly major way.

avenger82, The Iron Wolf and Marisa like this.
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

billyblaze likes this.
  15. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

That's a good start. Taking it all the way to bright would include a mechanical feedback timed to a range mismatches in speed between the engagement dog teeth. Add the two general configurations of synchros such as the common brass taper coupling and the Porsche style cast iron ring with toe ramps. They definitely feel different as the Porsche has a very aggressive "bite" as the toe ramp has a non-linear clamping rate.

As for non-synchro my personal favorite rev-it and stuff it is forgiving on mismatch but too much mismatch beats the heck out of the dogs, bends shift forks, and sometimes twists the input shaft just downstream from the clutch splines. From personal experience.....

Emery likes this.
  16. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

ummm wow...i had not seen this, very impressive job (his dashboard setup too!)...i use the clutch on upshifts but not downshifts, i just be sure to blip or shift late - i can drive any sim on the market like this, but in rF2 you won't miss a gear if you screw this up like you will in AC or AMS 1 or 2...