Latest Roadmap Update - March 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

Cheers was popular, and I am from Europe.
    It was 30 years ago though.

davehenrie and McKiernan like this.
  2. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

How that ctrl-c graph should read? Can you explain, tried few tracks with rain and 1080p, 8700k, 1080ti didn't feel cuffing, but what those bars represent?

3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Green bar is for GPU usage, 100% means you using the max processing your card could do (no problems here).
    Pink bar is for CPU usage, above 50% can cause you problems, the game could go "out of time", letting you with stuttering. Normally, other Windows applications using CPU or excess of AI cars cause these problems.

OdeFinn likes this.
  4. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Ok, and what are those up and down going bars representing? Green up/down vertical bar moves few pixels on sideways, pink less. What that vertical bar means and what means that bat position on horizontal axes? Green horizontal bar stands 100% all rime (probably because nvidia tells to keep max boost), pink horizontal bar lives bit on horizontal axes..
    A) can live up/down and move right/left, why?
    B) stays pretty much 100% all-time
    C) can live up/down and move right/left, why?
    D) stays there with small horizontal size change
    Screenshot_20200412-074639_Chrome~3.jpg

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@OdeFinn Marcel was asked what those vertical lines were in discord about a month ago, his response;

https://discordapp.com/channels/253557076645773312/253557076645773312/687416493327122446

from my understanding green(graphics) should be full or thereabouts ie all the way to the right
    Purple(CPU) if it goes all the way to the right you start getting the out of real-time issues.

OdeFinn likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@OdeFinn the top and bottom parts are called histograms. It's a frequency distribution of the 'frame time', in graphics (top) and physics (bottom). The bar shows the CPU use on each core for graphics (top) and physics (bottom). The top histogram can often show a few dots here and there as load and scene complexity changes around the track, while the bottom will tend to be quite consistent (indicating a very similar time for each physics frame) as generally not a lot changes as you drive, load-wise. Sometimes driving at or past the limits of adhesion or possibly certain terrain can lead to some variable times, so you end up with few shorter 'buildings' surrounding the main one.

As for the bars:

The graphics (Green for Graphics) being full is normal, it'll only be less than full with certain combinations of FPS limiting settings.

The physics (Purple for Physics) should never be full, if the load is consistent you can live with it constantly up around 70-75% and run the game ok, but it's better if it's at least less than half to allow some leeway. I think most recent processors of a decent speed will have it sitting around 20-30% like that image you've posted, which should be absolutely fine. Be aware running more AI will push it higher, so if you start having slowdown issues you should check that and maybe reduce AI.

Emery, pkelly, OdeFinn and 1 other person like this.
  7. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@Lazza thanks, Image was from rain test with 19 AI and pretty high everything(video on my post), need to test how suddenly it start to rise when adding more opponents. Then tweaking rain scenario "better" with different humidity levels..

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Marcel Offermans

For next roadmap (april) :

As a fan of rF2, and we are many I think to want to, can you please do a much much more precise and detailed roadmap (it does not matter if it is long as long as one is well informed), explaining where rF2 is going in the next 6 months (precisely), and we give more visibility on the short and medium term future of the game.

You have noted all the impatiences, they could be greatly reduced if the communication via the roadmaps brings us "a big appetizing bone to eat away".

Thank you.
    A real rFactor fan who just want your success.

9. Comante

Comante Registered

You should not make promises that can't be honored. Even if they release TOMORROW 10 GB of content updates, new content, core updates, time the next week you would have people complaining for lack of this or that or for a little strip of tape in the steering wheel of a specific car, or the tone of green of grass blade at 15.32 PM. There is a reason if they seldom listen to forum chatter: is mainly a disearthening waste of life.
    Why they would make a 6 month detailed roadmap (who is able to stick to it in the real world)? To have people jumping at their throat:
    A) for the order it was written
    B) for the number of entries (too little)
    c) to be used as a club to bash each update because it was from few hours to few weeks late.

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

In fact I just want them to communicate better, more precisely, to give us visibility on the short term future of rF2 and in no case promises and commitments, and that they finally take into account comments and concerns from the community.

S397 are very poor communicators (who can say otherwise ??????!!) and it's a shame :

1 FINALLY well done roadmap just 1 time per month does not seem to me too much demand, AND WILL CALM THE COMMUNITY.

VirusGR42, Adam Helyes and Marisa like this.
  11. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

There can be little doubt now that things have gone very awry for S397. I asked two questions in the last roadmap: first, plans for competition infrastructure + completion of UI; and what esports events/series were they going to be able to do, given the upswing this had seen with the virus, to capitalize on it. I didn't see answers to those; there's not even anywhere on the website or the forum where there is a list of such esports series/events.

Facts are, improvements to the code have pretty much dried up. The UI hasn't had much done to it for a couple of months, so we'll see if we really do get a 'release candidate' at the end of April. Major content adds have also completely dried up. At the end of Dec, we'd had the BMW M2, updated Audi GT3, FT-60 and the full Monaco circuit. We were told that, following complaints of no updates, we could look forward to more frequent (weekly) updates in Feb onwards. After 3 weeks of that, it also stopped completely. No fixes to content (which very badly needs it, especially the nerfed GTEs).

2019 had been a good year for content (911 Cup, M2, Tatuus, FE Gen 2; Monaco, LeMans and Nurb) and there had been some welcome code improvements following multiplayer issues, and more work on the graphics front. By contrast 2020, there's been almost nil. One area in desperate need has been completing the graphics work (and UI work) so that modders can bring their content up to new standards and adding more content; and this has basically had zero progress as well, to the point where, you have to question whether there is any commitment to modders and third parties at all now. Even once the specs get published, it'll take months to have content updated/created, and if I were a modder, I'd not be sure the whole thing wouldn't completely change again inside a few months making the effort put in pointless.

Quite frankly, all my enthusiasm for the rebirth of rF2 has drained away in the last six months. It's impossible to stress enough how important it is that the UI gets completed, and a startup of the competition infrastructure for regular users (and not the pathetic elite GT series that currently exist). I'm not inclined to buy any more content until the online competition systems are delivered and proved to work; its been 3 years, enough is enough. So its not about publishing roadmaps any more, its about actually completing stuff that is in the prior roadmaps. And that hasn't happened since fall last year.

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

How about just having a pot of tea and see wich stuff from the last roadmap - wich is a roadmap and nothing more - gets realized until 30th of April? Now that people are at home everyone is going grazy or what have I missed? And suddenly a monthly roadmap isn't good enough? I don't get. From my perspective they should just shut up an work away. Everything else has caused nothing but drama so far. Maybe we get Portland as a modding template, an UI update aswell as an upgraded Silverstone track in the next two weeks. What's not to like?

Gasper Zupan and pkelly like this.
  13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

You read me wrong, I think.

I ask no more than a roadmap, but just a quality monthly roadmap, which has never really happened.

Adam Helyes likes this.
  14. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Don't forget the All Star races, guys! This must be a huge task, and a huge benefit to learn from about online competitions. I guess it's the top priority for S397 now.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

@DrivingFast , you want a "more precise and detailed roadmap (it does not matter if it is long as long as one is well informed)" and a "quality monthly roadmap"
    Almost nobody reads long posts. Why to write more?
    Quantity and quality are not the same and a Road map is not a "to do list"

16. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

I would read them... I can read veeery long posts. Test me, S397! :D

17. lagg

lagg Registered

Me too, but it's the same with long videos, audios, etc.
    People want almost all things quick

18. Marisa

Marisa Registered

I don't think it's about raw word count but more about the contents. These roadmaps are supposed to give us some insight about the development of rF2 but they seem more about promoting new content and events, giving very little insight about what is going on. IL-2, DCS and AMS2 are examples on how to do this right, IMO.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Well, they told you what they are working on and what they are planning in the last roadmap(s). AMS2 is in early access with Reiza being how many years late? And it is quite clear that they have lot's of little stuff to fix and talk about and I have read enough content promotion from Reiza even before release abut upcomming DLC? Where is the problem? I don't think that rF2 users are poorly informed either. It is just that they don't get their desired content and features fast enough wich just leads to people overanalizing or simply ignoring stuff that is wirtten in the roadmaps. Forgotten are the times when they released Le Mans out of nowhere. :)

I had several hours fun with VLN cars at Nords and the newly updated Kartsim content that got mentioned in the last news on this page. Screw S397 ...

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No roadmap this month?☹️