Why I can't love this game at the moment. The AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stockers, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Stockers

Stockers Registered

Hi all

I really want to love this game but feel I can't in it's current format.

The DLC Le Mans track appears to be broken. Vehicles including the Mclaren Senna GTR & Porsche 991 GTE when driven by the AI slide around a lot at the last 2 corners of the track and spin out which is not realistic. It can happen 3 laps in a row.

I've tried AI learning & adjusting AI settings but no luck

Whilst not an issue with Studio 397 (But it's in the game) there's issues with the URD PX cars.1. At some tracks inc Indianapolis, Spa & some others the LMP1 cars tip over as they go over the curbs. Mainly occurs again with AI.

At Le Mans the Aura's appear so much faster than the Darche & the Darche's fuel capacity is a lot less & I find they pit earlier than other PX1 cars. At Le Mans they pit 3 laps before others & their fuel capacity isn't as high.

The AI generally is broken in this game which is a shame. I'd rather they spend less time on making the game pretty with the UI and concentrate on the gameplay and the AI.

I just find this game so frustrating. Some aspects of it I love but some I hate.

I have emailed the support team.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    J7166, DriverJay, UGM 133A and 3 others like this.
  2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

URD-stuff you can discard as being the modders fault... I've corrected the fuel consumption myself...

The AI has fundamental issue though... Faster class cars not overtaking slower class cars down the Mulsanne straight is pretty lame...

atomed likes this.
  3. Ariff

Ariff Registered

yea, a lot of improvements need to be made on the AI, hopefully the next roadmap isnt an update on whats coming out in the next roadmap.

DriverJay likes this.
  4. Pales

Pales Registered

Stockers, like others have mentioned, some of these can be addressed by adjusting the corresponding cars files. However, the bigger issue here is the AI.

If you spectate and observe the behaviour of AI cars in the same class, they’re unable to utilise the slipstream and overtake due to flawed logic. It was reported many, many, many years ago, the developers are aware but choose not to fix it.

You’ll also find that AI cars intending on pitting do not overtake any cars either, so you could have an LMP1 behind a Renault Clio and it would just sit behind it speeding up and breaking all around the track until it reaches the pits.. so for a track like lemans, you can see my point..

Lemans is a beautifully designed track but with the current state of the AI, it’s currently pointless.

Studio 397 do not care about the offline version and portion of the game. This is easily demonstrated by the lack of transparency and clarity from the developers, where they make absolutely no effort to discuss things with their player base. Just look at the forums, barely any involvement at all and if you contact them directly on discord, they generally ignore you or answer other points that do not relate to the AI.

so yeah, very unfortunate but that’s just how things are.

There is also an outstanding issue with the break and throttle spamming of AI. That was introduced in a 2018 build. For whatever reason they decided to make a change to AI at low skill levels (which no one even requested) and it subsequently resulted in the behaviour you’re probably all too familiar with now.

again, reported in 2018, made several threads about it and all we get is “it’s on a to do list” despite them causing the issue...

iRacing AI is going to be the next best thing, it’s just absurdly expensive and they’re still phasing it in, so not everything has been released yet. This is my plan upon its full release.

5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

If you want to enjoy your Sim as an offline player (like me) you should simply switch to another Sim. I've been looking at this for over a year. That was enough for me. the community here has been fighting for years to change something. To be honest, I don't feel like it. And you cannot recommend this construction site at all. No matter how great the FFB and the Physic may be. That `s not worth it.

6. Pales

Pales Registered

I imagine I will get a handful of responses to say I’m overly critical and negative as well... but when a staple part of your game remains stagnant with no refinement or improvements over all these years, people can vent. All we’ve seen over the years is excuses.

“our AI programmer is currently working on the grand tour game” was a brilliant one. Look how that turned out.

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I've got to agree here . If you want offline racing go to rre or even ams1.
    I've uninstalled rf2 and hope one day one year they will address the offline part of this sim. But for now I look here now and again and see constant disappointment about AI.

Pales and the rest of you.... think it's time to move on. Rf2 is clearly focusing on mp competitions from here on in and good luck to em. But that's not what I want out of rf2, so like I've been for a while now - im concentrating on other sims! The physics just don't carry this game anymore as others have caught up and even surpassed rf2.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  8. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan Registered

I think S397 should make an offline forum for offline players. this is getting really boring. all this whining and crying over AI is ridiculous. it's been reported so many times and yet we still see people open new threads about the subject. and on the top of it all.. in wrong part of the forum. so i guess this isn't even a bug report, just a love letter to devs.
    Bug reports here:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?forums/bug-reports.141/

bwana, Filip and Juergen-BY like this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Well, the thing about S397 is, is that they shifted focus to MP (first ened the new UI though) (while writing this, I see loki posting the same). For you guys it might not feel like a good move, but looking at the steam numbers and the state of the world right now, I think it was a pretty good one.

Not everything turns out how you like it to be. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying new stuff though. Try something, does it not work out, learn from it and move on.

10. Pales

Pales Registered

I am not discrediting the game, it is more the fact that the game released a long time ago. Yet we have actually regressed with ai behaviour since then..

RoboCAT10, Marisa and Ariff like this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I partly agree with the whining comment, personally I've added a fair few to my ignore list as it's the same posters crying over & over again, bumping age old threads like it's gonna change something - newsflash...it's not!
    Now I partly agree with you because there are new posters starting threads about AI issues, which goes to show it's not just the "usual suspects" kicking up a fuss. Sure they can post to the correct forum, but IMO the more new posters raising their concerns the more the issues become apparent and eventually dealt with.

Fortunately I'm someone who has patience on the AI stuff, sure I would've loved for it to be properly dealt with years ago but I fully respect the decision that S397 have made with their game. They've given us great content, with big upgrades in various areas of the code and they'd be stupid to ignore the online capabilities, which is something I know they have been working tirelessly on for ages (long before this recent virus crap). Sure those fans of Offline Racing will feel hard done by and I sympathise with them, but the blatant fact is S397 are not a huge company with devs sitting around twiddling their thumbs wondering what to code next, they're just a small team working hard to project their vision of a Sim into the world for us all to enjoy and we can't ask much more than that, one persons priorities are another persons bottom of the pile list and that's just the way it is.

So suck it up, play another Sim (I do!) and wait for that day when AI fixes come about or enjoy the RF2 AI for what they are now - which is still very good and raceable AI.

12. Filip

Filip Registered

No, you are wrong.
    I enjoy racing against AI in sprint races, no problem.
    You can find also on youtube many people enjoying rf2 offline.

13. Pales

Pales Registered

I think we all do. There are just too many underlying issues that's all.

coltair and Stockers like this.
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I'm delighted for you..
    But don't tell me what opinion I have! My opinion is that the offline mode can only be used to a very limited extent. If you are happy with it, nice for you.

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

As the constant whining is posted so is the same usual crap about getting over it and such. From the usual suspects. Don't like don't read. Yeah there is a lot of ai threads. Duuurrr theres a reason for that maybe?!

Anyway my time of checking this forum is over, cya in a few months.

RoboCAT10 and Pales like this.
  16. Filip

Filip Registered

The problem is YOU were the one claiming nobody can enjoy rf2 offline. Read your post again.
    Speek for yourself, not everybody shares your feelings. In fact most don't.

bwana and The Iron Wolf like this.
  17. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan Registered

I have no problem with rf2 AI. I use it many times to spice up my training when no playrs are on online server. I usualy start from the back and try to progress with zero contact and clean overtakes. I let them practice and qualy. Sometimes theres major accident on lap 1, but hey, this also happens in a lots of online races and in real life too ;)
    Multiclass is so unique, that it's really going to be hard to reproduce authentic online/rl experience with AI.
    And I really have no problem with people complaining and reporting things that they think need to be fixed. But do it on the right location for the sake of devs and other users, please :)

atomed and Filip like this.
  18. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Where can you find the words that nobody can use this Sim offline? Where? You understand it more as you want it.
    And I don't recommend this construction site to any offline player.
    I have given my opinion again.
    Constantly "howl" people around (it is said), then come around the corner people, who "howl" constantly about the people who are supposedly only "howling" Who is better ? ;) ).
    My friend, nowhere in my words does it say that the world cannot use the Sim offline. Or? Do you like the sim as it is? Good for you.
    So and before it gets out of hand it was that .

19. Filip

Filip Registered

Here! You are implying that all offline players cannot use rf2.
    I am on offline player and don't tell me what I should enjoy and which sim I should play.

RoboCAT10 and bwana like this.
  20. Filip

Filip Registered

Exactly.
    And if the devs don't respond bear with it. Maybe they really don't care. But being a parrot repeating same old thing over and over again in non related threads is irritating.

bwana likes this.