G29 FFB Problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by jimst57, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

I can't seem to get the ffb the way I want it to feel with my G29.
    I race mostly NASCAR type cars and ovals and I'm looking for a less "chattering" or "skipping" feeling in the corners and more smooth steering resistance in the corners.
    I've played with many settings in both the game and the controller.json file and haven't had success.
    There are so many variables in the .json file and I'm not sure which ones will affect what I'm looking for.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

No thoughts?
    Is there an description anywhere of what all the settings in controller.json do for FFB?

3. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

No ideas?
    Is there a description anywhere that explains what all the FFB in controller.json do?

4. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@jimst57 put some "ffb smoothing" on ingame settings

5. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

This is deeper than that. I've tried all the in game adjustments. You shouldn't have to turn the "smoothing" up to about 20 to make the car feel reasonable.
    I'm trying to feel smooth resistance in the turns that increases as you turn more and gives way when the tires lose grip. What's happening now is a "clunking" "chattering" mess. I suspect it's the car mod because some cars feel exactly like what I'm looking for. So I'm trying to find an explanation of what the controller.json FFB settings so that I can maybe setup a controller file just for this car.

6. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

As an aside, I think this whole FFB setting thing is designed ridiculously difficult. Cryptic settings in a .json file with no easy to find explanation of what they do.
    For my purposes, the whole thing could be done with a few in game sliders. One for the amount of steering resistance you want to feel, one for the road effects (bumps,etc), one for the off road effects strength. Then anyone, including the average user could easily tune it.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think you are best off starting back at day one with fresh default json files.
    First step is to close rF2.
    Then delete the Controller.JSON found in the player folder.
    Next is to open the Controller folder and delete any JSON file you have edited, created, renamed etc. Including the Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB.JSON

In your Steam Library games list, right click rFactor 2 and select Properties / Local Files tab / Verify Integrity of game files.
    That will replace any of the default controller preset profiles that you deleted.

Start rF2 and go to Options / Controls.
    Select "Load" then find the G29 profile and load that.
    It should have the G29 profile name written beneath "Save" if all went well.
    Now click "Save" and give it a unique name like: A_jimsg29
    If you name a profile with A as the first letter, it saves scrolling through the list trying to find for example: jimsg29

Now you can assign all the controls to whatever buttons etc.
    Remember to save your profile.
    Before you go editing any json files this time, have a good tweak of the Car specific, smoothing and minimum torque settings.

If you do go to edit any controller jsons:
    1. Do not edit the Controller.JSON in the player folder.
    2. Make a backup copy of your custom A_jimsg29 profile by saving it with a different name A_jimsg29_BAKUP
    3. Now you can edit your A_jimsg29.JSON.
    4. Always close rF2 when editing json files
    5 After editing, start rF2 and go to the Controls page and Load the profile you edited.

8. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

1. Adjust the overall strenght of FFB so its as strong as possible but not clipping (check from motec the channel "FFB output", google what ffb clipping is to get an idea what to aim for)
    2. Adjust the minimum steering torque as high as possible, but once it starts oscillating in the middle, then reduce it 2 clicks
    3. Adjust the smoothing as low as possible, but high enough that the gears are not clanking and the bumps/flatspots are not giving you vibration disease.

Then you will have a 1. fairly strong FFB with 2. good resistance in the middle and 3. less chattering and vibration

9. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
    But is there no known documentation as to what the settings IN the controller.json file do?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You shouldn't need to adjust much in there. If a particular mod has poor FFB you can't really fix/fake it with json settings - the FFB comes from the physics.

11. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I don't think you ever acheive what you're after with a G29.

I have the G920 (essentially the same) and gave up a long time ago trying.

I have smoothing off, and most cars set at around 0.70.

12. jimst57

jimst57 Registered

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking as well.
    Some cars feel great with the wheel, but this particular one is bad.