Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. massimiliano1970

massimiliano1970 Registered

lagg likes this.
  2. massimiliano1970

massimiliano1970 Registered

Thanks, I tried to put true, I had no improvement

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  3. Ronaldoz

Ronaldoz Registered

I'm not entirely sure and have not read this thread that much, but to ensure it is not your hardware, I think you need to check:

- there are no computer updates (Windows) going on, you all probably checked it, but oke..
    - if it's not 1 CPU core that is probably working at 100% (this is different then general / package CPU usage)
    - if you are not running out of GPU video memory
    - if the GPU does not hit 100% (I guess that means the CPU core clock)
    - if your power supply unit, does not use more wattage then it could handle. (you never know)

I do have a bit faster PC then I used a couple of months ago, and I do not really got any performance issues anymore. Also not with replays. But at the somewhat older PC, I did have issues. But they where related to the hardware.

!? //In general I would just lower some settings. What I find usefull is to lower texture and detail related settings. Because that actually can make those stutters / freezing happen.

I hope someone could actually test that last suggestion. It helped me a lot, because I think rFactor 2 is heavy on texture / details kinda settings. Beside night / much AI / rain off course.

4. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

However, this really appears to be very much game-related.

The freeze occurs only once (to me at least), at 33 or 35 minutes (don't remember exactly) into the session, whereas the rest of the session I am running at 100+ FPS without a problem. This is regardless of the track, the FPS, the memory usage, the replay settings, etc.

I am on a reasonably modern system (Ryzen 3600, 32GB, GF1070, SSD's...). I don't experience anything similar in other games. If it were to depend on a 'faulty' system, people wouldn't be experiencing the exact same issue at the same interval. It would be intermittent. Instead, this problem is very much reproducible. It only appears to block the renderer now, whereas before it also blocked the physics. The car continues to drive on while the screen is frozen.

I checked the activity during the freeze, and the CPU and GPU activity actually drop considerably, as if they were idle. IMO there is something in the game causing a thread to hang for a short period.

That said, there might be ways to reduce this freeze. People have been trying to change replay, graphics and Windows settings throughout this thread, but nothing really conclusive to where the problem might be.

5. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Can somebody explain why setting "Inactive Sleep Time":-1, in player.json changes game snappier? I was in belief of that setting effect only when game is on background..

6. kashif

kashif Registered

I think I'm having the same problem as you.

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

This correspond with my pause I had in a league race last night.
    I joined the server about 6:55pm and had a screen freeze about 7:30pm.
    Also steam made a Dump. The timestamp is the same as the pause.
    Capture.JPG

I am confused, this 35 minute bug was fixed in one update, then broken in one of the next.

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I again have to repeat my whish to get an option that deactivates these logs.
    I don't understand why this option can not be implemented.
    It can still be set to log basic files by default, but it should have the option to deactivate it.
    You have written, "Just to be clear, this logging is only enabled by default for a limited time. As soon as we have a better grip on this issue (or issues) we will change this logging to become optional."
    So please, add the option to deactivate it.

McFlex and Davvid like this.
  9. Filip

Filip Registered

Answer lays within the quote.
    I guess they still don't have a better grip on the issue.
    These problems can be hard to track.

Why do you want to turn off this logging?
    Does it affect performance or just fills the disk?
    Remind me please as maybe I want I want to turn it off too. I completely forgot about this.

Lazza likes this.
  10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

For me it's a basic thing, because i hate to have things running that are not necessary and/or not wanted, like, for example, background activities from installed software, that grab and send informations to the developer of the software, that can not be controlled by the user.
    Such things, whenever i notice these, get eliminated immediately.
    And if not possible, the software gets uninstalled in most of the cases.
    And in this case, i also don't understand why there can not be an option to completely deactivate it.
    There is absolutely no reason for that.
    To get that option, has no bad influence or restricts something.
    The default setting is "activated at low level", then you have the option to activate the higher level and the option to completely deactivate it.
    Where is the problem?
    And that writing data to an ssd wears it down, is just another argument.
    If it's not necessary to write the data, because i have no problems that have to be logged, it's annoying.
    And to the people that maybe again call me selfish: it has nothing to do with being selfish, because i don't take away something from others.
    I just want to be able to turn off a for me unnecessary function.
    Is that so hard to understand?

M Lynn and Davvid like this.
  11. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

I don’t recall the folder those logs are stored in, but have you tried making it read-only to see if that prevents them from being created? Maybe the game will just override the permissions again, but worth a shot :)

12. Filip

Filip Registered

I understand your point, I was just asking for my self.
    I also try to minimize or remove unnecessary process for one reason only: performance.
    But I guess there is no significant performance impact nor disk occupancy so I won't bother with it.
    Or has anybody done test for different log levels?

Btw you can try what Tygernoot said.

13. Ryan_Walker

Ryan_Walker Registered

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

15. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@Bernd one option which can he turned off/on, maybe you want to try
    Disabling Windows RAM Compression
    As administrator on PowerShell (right click on start...)
    Check current status (prints on screen):
    Get-mmagent

Switch off:
    Desable-mmagent -mc

Switch on:
    Enable-mmagent -mc

Restart computer after change.

For me it "flattens the curve" on VR frametimes and makes snappies windows.

lagg likes this.
  16. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

So, after testing further, I STILL get the occasional big freezes. What's more, I've been checking the time in-game that it happens, and the biggest one usually happens between 32.5 and 33 minutes into the session, which sort of agrees with what Tygernoot says above. It's happened several times now, big freeze and the car carries on and I run off the road. It doesn't happen with other games or sims either.

17. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@M Lynn which tricks you have tried for fixing it?
    Ok my case stutters originally started alongside with some windows update, after that I have altered several settings and current situation is stutter free.
    Kinda list of my changes,
    dropped older nvidia driver (439 if recall right) because then newest wasn't working fluently with shadow play and older gives better performance.
    Disabled cpu's "external" SA sniffer, chip on mboard, controlled thru USB2 logic (this makes dirt rally 2 stutter a lot)
    Lockeed AVX 1:1 with cpu multiplier
    Updated ignore list on antivirus
    Switched off windows disk cache flush
    Switched off replay compression - game
    switched off texture compression - game
    Switched off background delay timer - game
    Switched off windows RAM Compression

What things you have tried?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  18. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Some of these points sound interesting and i haven't tried them yet. But i can't a lot of information about some of them and to be honest: I'm not sure i want to mess around with any system settings to get just one game to run better. Also i'm afraid those changed may cause issues somewhere else.

Haven't tried this and i can't find any information in google about it. How do i change this? Is it a BIOS setting? And does it work with all mainboard/cpus (i'm using a Ryzen 3600X on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite)? And what exactly does it do? Can it cause issues anywhere else?

Basically the same questions as above.

I could do that, but i heard it can cause data loss if something bad happens (system crash, power loss etc.) Is it safe to use on the game SSD only (and does it do anything if not enabled on the system SSD)? Don't really want to risk anything with my system SSD.

Just tried to find this in the config files ... is it in the player.JSON? Only thing i can find there is "Delay Video Swap" and it's on "false".

I read about this some time ago, but i also read that windows doesn't use RAM compression if there's enough free RAM left. I have 32 GB, so i don't think rF2 + Crewchief + VR software will ever use all my RAM. Is it still worth a try or is this something i can ignore with 32 GB of RAM?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can check for yourself any time you want via the task manager, but it probably is doing some compression - right now I have 8.9GB free but 446MB compressed RAM (from 1600MB uncompressed).

Does it effect game performance? I think it's a long shot, as Windows does actually tend to be fairly smart on what it does and doesn't compress, but I guess it's something to test. Probably in isolation, to eliminate it as a cause.

20. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

You're right, most of the stuff in my RAM is uncompressed, but a few MB are not. I think i'll try this later.