The Brave New World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John R Denman, Mar 21, 2020.

1. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

As the globe hunkers down from COVID-19 it's opened new doors to simracing.

F1 having a deal with Codemasters has announced a series featuring some of their drivers taking to the field with F1 2019, although they'll be using fixed setups and driver assist. Perhaps a testament to their more arcade like physics.

IMSA followed suite with iRacing, a decision made in a large part due to the commercialization that iRacing has always focused on. Its the only sim package that I'm aware of thats actually paid known name drivers to regularly compete online.

IndyCar just announced a virtual series, like IMSA they teamed with iRacing for an undisclosed contract.

I wonder if this Brave New World is doing anything to boost rFactor2 sales?

2. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

The BNW or NWO..?;)
    I know what you mean.

Sarcasm off..

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Sorry to say it that hard, but i just saw something, what i find absolutely hilarious and i post it here, because i find no fitting thread right now:

When i see, how broken the track limits on Buckmore are in the AlphaLive Kart Sim eSports qualy competition right now, i really ask myself, if this sim should be used for "eSports" at all.
    You can basically cut everything, exploit even a run-off far of a kink next to some track barriers on the left.
    This is not a showcase for competitive sim racing at all, if you want to be taken seriously and don't get me wrong, i like sim racing for the fun and i normally give a dang about eSports competition and the marketing value around it, but this is just ridiculously over the top. rF2 is already exploit heaven and this does its reputation no favour at all.

5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's most likely a track issue and has nothing to do with rF2 itself. Next to the fact that S397 is not responsible for the KartSim tracks, I see all kinds if exploints being used in various sims. You should watch Nicki Thiims last iRacing stream and you will see what I am talking about. rF2 is ready to be used for esport competitions as any other platform out there, the question is if the content in use is up for it?

6. CrimsonEminence

With iRacing, sh** just hits the fan right now, because of their censorship way of doing things, shutting down drivers comments about some content and a guy named Penske, maybe heard of him, is really p**sed right now, it seems.^^ The comparison lacks.
    Nicki has showed often enough, how "serious" you should take iRenting after all. :D

Also the Kart Sim Pack is using all systems, that rF2 utilizes and is also a representation for the whole sim at all, that's the reality, nobody asks, if it comes from S397.
    One is not without the other.
    "The others also have problems, so it's fine" is not the kind of defense, you should apply here, if you're interested in progression and not the burst of the whole bubble, that is blowing up right now.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    memoNo1 likes this.
  7. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

the pro's don't come by themselves on rf2 like they do for iracing or acc it's that there is a problem, and it's great publicity for the simu they're on, Lando has 8k viewers on every stream!
    tracks and "complete" series are for me one of the weakest point, there is a nice gt3 and gte tray but they have many gaps especially in the finishing...
    only 3 superbly fun f1 1975 (go for more effort!) but no vintage track...
    a serious lack of official laser tracks, with properly placed TV cameras and flattering external and internal sounds.
    no cockpit view for streaming competitions (we all know why...) colors or texture (I don't know) not flattering or realistic enough for nice streaming races, It's not bad, but there's much better elsewhere!
    Crashes, freezes and lags at high level competitions don't pass!
    rf2 has a lot of assets to show but unfortunately wasted by some shortcomings not corrected or added.
    I know the studio is working but it's much too slow unfortunately!
    it's going to be very hard to make a place for yourself in the esport.

CrimsonEminence likes this.
  8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Guys, i know where this is going and I partially agree with some of the points you bring. Especialy sounds and cameras for better broadcasts. But you can't blame S397 if the KartSim devs don't get their track limits setup properly - something that even iRacing and Codemasters don't get right. This is not looking me for an excuse, but a simple fact. Now we could argue that locked systems might be better compared to open platforms and that S397 should have more control with the 3rd party content, but I think it's important that we have one open platform left. And I don't share the doomsday sentiment that some of you gus have. I embrace what is good about each platform and enjoy the racing. From the broadcasts that I watched, rF2 was certainly not the worst and offered some great exposure for sim racing with over half a million viewsers and some great motorsport legends having a go and some mighty fine online racing. Sure there is stuff to improve, but how about enjoying what you have at some point and acknowledging that the glass is half full and not half empty. Especialy now, that there is much more important stuff to worry about. Be glad if you are safe and that most of the sim devs are still around in the current situation. High five :)

McKiernan and pkelly like this.
  9. CrimsonEminence

I could continue with something, that was said about the broken Tatuus braking behaviour (official content) by some drivers, i've reported something like this months ago, btw., but i will now better go and enjoy, what i have, instead of caring for this hobby as a long term thing. Why should anything improve, the others aren't improving, either.
    Sorry, but in terms of polish, the most sims, that are used in televized competition, are delivering a way better system, to broadcast a race. Driving and system wise, most of them are broken anyway, so why even bother to improve on this. :rolleyes:

10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Relax dude. Nobody is saying that things shouldn't improve. It has happened just recently that rF2 got so much exposure in broadcasts that things seem more obvious and important now that weren't high on the priority list before. Few months ago people would have given a huge facepalm to S397 to fix cams and sound systems before anything else.

On that note I would just emphasize on the fact that we have a few throusend deaths caused by this situation, so you can infact be glad if sim racing broadcasts are your most important concern.

11. CrimsonEminence

Like the more and more strange physics for example? I'm relaxed btw., thx.
    I would be glad to hear about an improved sound system for years now...i think many do.
    Mate, we know it already. We have a pandemic. You can stop now hijacking this topic for your defense. This situation wasn't the case one year, two years, even 4 years ago, when questions for fixes were similar things, in comparison to now.
    At least some things improve and i'm nowhere asking to get the dev' running hotter under the current situation, i've nowhere stated that, so you can stop this now.

memoNo1 likes this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The thing is, S397 worked on other stuff the last couple of years because people in the community asked for it. One year ago S397 were voted for sim dev of the year, while one year later they seem to be the slow snail terminators of doom for some people. That's how fast people change their mind. And the horse has been beaten to death why things took longer than expected, so I see no reason to give the horse another kick in the nuts. It's actually quite simple: vote with your wallet and your seat time if you aren't happy with where this is going. We are spoiled for choices, since the release of AMS2 even more. ;)

13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I have watched all the iterations of the high profile race drivers events.
    Nascar on iRacing
    F1 2019
    All Star events on RF2.
    In my view RF2 came out very well.
    "The Race" made a very good decision to have 3 heats for real life Pros and one for elite sim Racers. That meant the final had plenty of famous names and the creme de la creme of sim racing which was fantastic for all. The Legends event blew my mind. Emerson Fittipaldi twice WDC and twice Indy 500 winner and a roll call of superstars.
    The physics and racing were first class and Jack Nicholls (who got his start in FSR and was a sim racer) and Jolyon Palmer did a superb job in commentary.
    They took it very seriously and professionaly.
    The Legends race and the pro race have seen two impressive things happen; the older legends have encouraged their mates to get involved. The real world pros have been practicing hard to close the gap to the Sim pros. Ruben Barrichelo who won last week is a veteran sim racer.
    They were also brave enough to make bold decisions on car and track combos. Those decisions have played out well.

The pro events in low aero cars has seen RF2 experts Rudy Van Buren shine. The high aero events have seen Jerni Simoncic shine. Stoffel van Dorne is a FSR alumni too.

Bottom line is they have liked it and are taking it seriously and hundreds of thousands of people are seeing it for the first time.

The first F1 2019 event at Bahrain was just a celebrity giggle, but even it was pretty good in Melbourne where Le Clerc won. Verstappen won't drive the Codies title any more. The world has discovered Jimmi Broadbent.
    iRacing on ovals had only real drivers but featured very slick real commentary.

The one that I watch for a genuine event is The Race which is on RF2. We get the best of both worlds (virtual and real), great racing, great physics, legendary drivers.

In my take RF2 has nothing to be ashamed of as millions discover sim racing.

McKiernan, Remco Majoor and Spyro like this.
  14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

One of our own featured on the BBC news
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/formula1/52010757

Rumours that
    A) Lawrence Stroll has sent out feelers
    and
    B) Vijay Mallya has tapped Jimmer for a loan.

I seriously expect to see Jimmer in the paddock as a proper guest soon.

McKiernan likes this.