Building a setup list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheBigDawg, Mar 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

So Im building a ton of setups...i mean a TON....and wondering what the community would wanna see. So as long as i have the track and car or someone can provide it id be glad to build it. I have 14 years almost sim racing exp. I also drive for Xtreme Performance Motorsports in iRacing and Im on standby for a couple of teams here in rf2 and have helped beta some of the newer cars that have been released recently by 3rd party guys

2. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

As someone who finds setups to daunting to approach (except for rear downforce and gear ratios), I would love to be able to benefit from your knowledge. However, from what I've observed, fast drivers use "aggressive" setups which are too demanding for less talented drivers like me. I am currently trying to get competitive in any of the GT3's around Le Mans with the AI at 100% and aggression to 55%. The only car I can put near the front is the AMG, where most people seem to prefer the 720S which I can't drive consistently at all.

Would you agree that to be fast you need a setup that is inherently more challenging to drive?

3. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

Theres a saying - "Gotta be comfortable then learn to be fast." I know at Le Mans i was running for a team in p2 i had never really driven the oreca. we went though the setup and i just went with it. it didnt seem to be lightning quick but it seemed to be very racy, i picked up 23 seconds in learning the car and the setup. If you learn what the car will give you you can get that much more out of it

Eric Rowland and atomed like this.
  4. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Great saying. I'm generally most comfortable in the 911, the Bentley and the AMG. However, at Le Mans I'm 3 seconds quicker in the AMG than anything else. Did very little as far as setup on any car. Lower rear wing and tyre pressures.

If you wind up posting any setups for Le Mans, be they GT3, LMP2, LMP3 or
    the Senna, I would love to try them. I can't drive the GTEs competitively since the last update.

Many thanks.

Marcus Battaglia likes this.
  5. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

i gotchu man

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  6. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I've played with setups a little bit, but I tend to create more problems than fixes, but once I get used to the setup I can run better laptimes.

I don't know if that's because the setup is "better", I'm driving around the problem, or I know the track better.

I think rather than saying "here's the setup i use for X at Y, you should use this." We need a proper guide as to what changes have been made from default and why.

One of my frustrations with rF2 is the lack of information once you're in the game. Rebound setting for example, all other settings you click on the right arrow to increase the value, on rebound (on some cars at least) is the opposite.

Also, knowing the minimum and maximum for each setting would be handy, without having to change everything up and down to find the extent of the changes.

Great idea though, would love to try some setups from fast guys, as well as see what changes they're making.

ItsBillyFrazier and atomed like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Springs and dampers get too much attention. It's mostly about the nut behind the wheel.

8. atomed

atomed Member

Yeah but that has no possible fix :D

9. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

What we need is a place where people can post their setups, and others can download them. The setups also need to be posted with the name of the car, class of car, track, and possibly speed. Downloading a setup without knowing where it's from or what it's for is useless.
    I've downloaded a few from Race Department, but once in game I could not tell what car, class, or track they were for. The saved setup name had no hint of what it was.
    Something like : AudiGT3Spa would be very helpful as a setup name.

atomed likes this.
  10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The setup files are stored in the track folder for where they were made, which are found \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\Track name\car setup.svm
    You can open the svm file with Notepad and the first line is eg: VehicleClassSetting="GTE GTE_Porsche_991RSR"
    So checking the car is easy but nowhere I could see in the svm does it mention the track.
    So as far as I can see, you have to take the word of the person who uploads the setup that it is for the track they say it is for..

atomed likes this.
  11. atomed

atomed Member

12. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I move all my setups into one main folder, rather than having then separated into track folders, much easier to find previously saved setups, then tweak to suit the current track.

atomed likes this.
  13. atomed

atomed Member

Yeah, me too, but i think that's ok for individual use. For sharing you need some structure.

Dave^ likes this.
  14. Stevy

Stevy Registered

So now the "let's make money with setups" aka Craig Setup Shop, VRS, PRT etc is coming to rFactor2 ? :D

15. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

the Mega folder was a thought i had but with as small as the file size is im gonna make a new google drive acct for them and build them folder by folder. and im also going to be building by mod. so stuff like wiggums 86 f1 will have dedicated time, gte and all that will get time. so that means a TON of hours lol. but again anyone has any mod/track combo they want to see a build for or are stuggling with i can try to bang it out ahead of time. and im doing this for free so....while i applaude VRS et al with what they do....they do it for the money i do it to make the world dance (if you get the song reference i applaude you)

pkelly, ItsBillyFrazier and atomed like this.
  16. atomed

atomed Member

Appreciate It Dawg, if I can help in some non expertized mode please let me know.
    Cheers.

17. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

gotchu man

atomed likes this.
  18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

The first thing to learn with setup is to turn off driver assists.
    Think about how the weight shifts under turning, braking and acceleration on practice laps.
    Become familiar with the tuning adjustments and think about what each does.
    Take a few laps, enough to bring tire wear down to 95% and while building speed and when you feel slippage think about where the weight transition is at that moment. Than make small adjustments and repeat. Yeah, it takes time but after about 8-12 hours of that you'll get the basics. Baseline tuning is just that - baseline. Different drivers need different setups to find the last second of performance.

David O'Reilly and atomed like this.
  19. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

Whats good John is I dont run with assists (unless the car comes with them ie protos, gte, etc) and i build for a style that is smooth and fast. so while its NOT EXACTLY baseline its also easily adjustable for people who might want the car to perform one way or another

Mark Lloyd, pkelly and atomed like this.
  20. redapg

redapg Registered

@TheBigDawg Maybe this could be something useful for a Setup Database.
    I have build the Site a long Time ago and was again working at it in the last Weeks, to again offer it for Sharing Setups.
    The Site is still WIP.

alehop69, Corti, Dave^ and 2 others like this.