Low framerate at Nurburgring Garages

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by vmgn021, Jan 8, 2020.

1. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

I couldn't find a specific previous post for this, hope this is the right place.

My fps gets cut in half, dropping from 70-80 to unplayable 30 or less whenever I'm near (within roughly 500 meters) the garages in any Nurburgring layout. When starting practice in Nurburgring from inside garages, it's horrible, but no such thing in Nordschleife versions. Like the whole paddock building was heavily unoptimised.
    VLN layout becomes playable as soon as I enter Nordschleife section.

Is this a known issue and will be taken care of? No other rF2 tracks or even other sims have such huge fps drops in specific parts of their tracks for me.

My specs: i5 4670K@4.68GHz, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM, single 2560x1080 screen.

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

These are a few things in the player.JSON you could try. I haven't tested in a while if they even still do anything.

"Extra Visible Vehicles":0,
    "Extra Visible Vehicles#":"Extra vehicles shown in non-driving situations",

"Garage Detail":0.1,
    "Garage Detail#":"LOD multiplier when vehicle is in garage (0.01-1.00)",

"Pitcrew Detail Level":1,
    "Pitcrew Detail Level#":"0=Off, 1=Player Only, 2=Everybody",

DrivingFast likes this.
  3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I had the same issue and it took me a fair bit of tweaking to get my FPS back to a normal level, but this section of the Nurburgring is easily the most demanding for me - in terms of GPU utilisation for any racing sim and any track (as you've noted).
    I use the same GPU as you, same memory and probably roughly similar CPU (I'm running an overclocked i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz - it still meets my needs, so I haven't bothered replacing it).
    I had to turn a couple of things down a notch to recover FPS and used that track for as a benchmark for rF2 (for obvious reasons).
    My graphics settings aare below, but hopefully the track gets optimised a bit better in the future.

Nvidia Control Panel settings for rF2:
    rF2 Nvidia CP settings.jpg

rFactor 2 display settings (I think I had pretty much everything on max settings before, but had to make a few changes like I said to get the Nurburgring back to decent performance). I typically run offline races with 19 AI cars and I'll test a couple of different ones to make sure my FPS is consistent. Lately that's been ASR F1 cars (usually the 1993 car set as opposition, with me driving whatever car I feel like from the 90's) and the Oreca 07 LMP2 car, with that and the LMP2 cars from the Enduracers mod as opposition. Basically my advice is test it with the sorts of cars you normally use and be wary of using low quality cars (for testing purposes).
    rF2 Display settings.jpg

...lastly - and excuse me if I'm telling you something you know already, but do check your GPU settings and make sure it's running as well as it can. My overclocking settings are below - I use MSI Afterburner, as I like it's layout, even though I have a Gigabyte GPU.

GTX 1060 settings.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Turning rain drops off will gain you some fps when it's not raining.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The Nurburgring GP is much less optimized than the vast majority of the Nordschleife.

In particular the stands and the big wheel (merry-go-round wheel).

Hope it will be optimized soon.

6. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

So, after setting Post Effects in launcher settings from Full to High, and Player Detail from Full to High it became playable. Shame, because I had everything maxed out to get that sweet replay look S397 shows us in screenshots and trailers, and on all other tracks I got more than 75 fps, which I need for my single monitor.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you are interested in 'sweet' replays, then run things on max. But if you are racing, tone it down, heck if it's just playable, then drop down some more.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

In the S397 Nurburging, especially on the GP, turning down the graphic setting "circuit detail" from full to high allow to have a significative FPS gain, but the nords trees are not enough detailled.

9. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

So lowering player detail and circuit detail didn't help afterall. Fps still goes horribly low when driving on pitlane, and garages are not even in sight. I also edited garage detail in json to 0.1.
    At this point it's easier to just stop raging, forget my money spent on this and go play other sims with this track that are made properly.
    Good luck to S397 on continuing beating this dead horse of a game for few extra dlc bucks.

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I also have terrible performance with Nurburgring i just bought... is there any update planned?

11. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

No word about it in last roadmaps. rF2 just keeps reminding me how much of a garbage it is. Was just playing and had issues with Tatuus cars, but I don't even see point reporting it. Just don't buy the official content, it's rushed and abandoned.

pety100 likes this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

It's frustrating because i have around 130 FPS average in several tracks and in Nurburgring GP i have max 90 and minimum 30...

Didn't even tried Nordschleife...

13. vmgn021

vmgn021 Registered

Nordschleife is better once you get past the start section. When garages are out of sight and you go to Flugplatz the fps is ok.

pety100 and Rui Santos like this.
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

How much VRAM does your GPU have? My bet is you are probably running out of VRAM as these kind of frame drops typically happen when rF2 cannot fit the entire track inside GPU memory. The most obvious settings to alter VRAM consumption are to lower texture and circuit detail, in that order. Opponent detail also has a small effect, but each opponent car only consumes around 50 Mb of VRAM even on max settings. Lowering AA and resolution will yield some improvements, but not very significant.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I have GTX980, i was driving alone on track...

Also, i don't have issues with other tracks...

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So 4GB? Checked vram usage?

17. lagg

lagg Registered

I have preformance problems in the main straight of the GP with a 2080TI (VR)
    The Nords runs perfectly.
    It seems to me that there is a problem with the objects of the main straight of the GP.

Neawoulf, DrivingFast and Rui Santos like this.
  18. ItsBillyFrazier

ItsBillyFrazier Registered

GTX980ti/i7-6700k @ 4.8 Single screen - Agree with others here who experience big FPS drops around the pits and grandstand straight right through to the Ferris wheel corner (Mercedes Arena section?). After that FPS returns to normal for the remainder of the Nordschleife (i have FPS locked at 100)

19. franser

franser Registered

The Nurburgring GP circuit is very poorly optimized, I have a Radeon RX 570 4 GB and with everything full it works for me at 145 fps max and 110 fps min on all tracks including Sebring (scanner version) but in the nurburgring it drops from 100 fps to 25 fps in straight sector and first sector. I hope they optimize it and it works like the other tracks

20. stonec

stonec Registered

It isn't poorly optimized, the track just uses more VRAM due to the huge area. The combined Nurburgring layout has a length of around 25 km, contrast that to Sebring's 6 km. That alone means there would be four times more geometry needed for Nurburgring, but it's actually even more if you compare the areas since the area grows as square. 4 GB VRAM is nowhere close to enough to run this circuit maxed, you need to go down at least one step on circuit and texture detail.