Kickstarter to speed up UI, servers and ratings development t?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

Having been a happy Rfactor2 user and buying all Conte t to support the developers it saddens me to see how things seems to be deteriorating, even as new content is added.
    To me it indicates an understaffed effort on the dev side of things at least, both programmers and Conte t creators.
    So the few devs are prob. drowning in work and new requests and at the same time ha e no way of delivering both new code and maintenance of what's there.

I for one would happily support focused efforts to fix and improve the Sim, if possible in any organized way.

Could a kickstarter be an option?
    Kickstarter to pull in $1000000 to specifically get this thing to the next level or something like that.
    NOT to be spent for other parts of the org than specifically development and qa. NOT management, sales or anything else.

atomed likes this.
  2. atomed

atomed Member

Good idea.

3. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Kickstarter for what exactly? They are chipping away bugs slowly and adding content. Lately they have had big events, they started up GT pro and challenge series, had the Race. More money isn't going to change that I think

McFlex likes this.
  4. benkay

benkay Registered

As much as the intention is good, the chances of raising a Kickstarter to the magnitude of 1,000,000€ is next to 0.

1/100 of that would be a struggle.

5. Karsten Hvidberg

It's in the title:

"Speed up UI, servers and ratings development".
    Yes, money would change that.
    Also "things seems to be deteriorating, even as new content is added" was in the text under the title.
    That is a big issue too.

New UI is not finished and seems to have a really long way to match anything else out there, from a usability point of view.
    Slow loading track times.
    Bad sounds.

The list goes on.
    To me this sim has a good feel to it, but the others are now fast catching up.
    That's the last stand, as I see it.
    When that falls, what would keep me here?

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining. I am trying to suggest anything that will give this sim a chance.
    I do feel it is too little & too late now, though.
    & I am sure the few devs that are on it are struggling. Hence my suggestion.

Maybe other better suggestions for how to staff it up?

Adam Helyes and atomed like this.
  6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

How would more money help that when they have the same people doing it?

7. atomed

atomed Member

More money means more staff they can hire to do the job.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

More money doesn't necessarily mean faster development, Star Citizen is a prime example of that amongst many other failed Kickstarter programs.

Besides with the way the world is going right now i think people are less inclined to throw money away, especially when that money could be spent on DLC in this or another sim title.

9. Karsten Hvidberg

You can always do things wrong & throw money away, correct. Not sure what that has got to do with anything.

You might be right that people would not back up rfactor 2 over other stuff, I am just not sure what your contribution is here?

It helps nobody that you contribute a "nay".
    Any ideas that can help rfactor 2 to produce better quality & more content?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well this is an open forum, if you didn't want opinions don't ask for them!

If you want a more constructive answer then; Leave them be to get on with what they are doing, the devs are in the best place to know exactly what they need to progress the game further, not you nor I.

Trust in their development process, personally I just enjoy each sim for what they offer me at that moment in time and no amount of extra money being thrown at any Dev is gonna change anything.

It's easy to pass judgment being on the outside of the team, but unless you know the inner workings of the company then really any "ideas" you have about Staffing levels or Output are just wasted breath IMO.

11. AMillward

AMillward Registered

In such a niche market, I doubt a million Euros is achieveable.

avenger82 and lagg like this.
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

I enjoy each sim too. I would like to keep on enjoying rfactor 2 in the future too, hence my post.
    Who knows, maybe many people would have checked with a "hell yeah", so I thought it was worth it.

Imo it is not hard to see from the outside that the studio is struggling. I've been in the industry for 30 years.
    I am not passing judgement here (maybe you just picked a wrong wording or I understand it incorrectly). It just looks that way & I suggest others might want to help this sim & studio along as well...

Re: "If you want a more constructive answer then; Leave them be to get on with what they are doing, the devs are in the best place to know exactly what they need to progress the game further, not you nor I."

- Instead of leaving them be and assuming "the devs are in the best place ...", I would like to help monetarily, but there is no meaningful way set up for me to do so. Hence my original question.

Re: "and no amount of extra money being thrown at any Dev is gonna change anything."

- Just plain wrong, meaning: I def. don't agree & have been developing my whole life (the intention would be more devs, not rising the salaries.).

We do really disagree on many points & that is fine.
    But can I ask politely that you don't tell me that I pass judgement(when in fact I have not) or that I need to "Trust their dev process..." when this has never been brought in to question by me.

Maybe a kickstarter is not be a viable way to go.
    I would think $1mm is prob. out of reach too.
    But I would just really hate to see rfactor2 disappear & am willing to help, maybe along with many others if given a way to do so.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

How exactly are they struggling in your eyes? You haven't actually explained that bit in any detail yet, as you know so much from being in the industry and all...

14. Karsten Hvidberg

I am sorry, I really don't know why the sarcasm.

I like the sim.
    If you think the sim is doing great, like for example(among other thing):

- It works as it should.
    - Important issues are being addressed timely.
    - New important features are being added at a good pace.
    - New content is rolling out in good quality at a good pace.
    - Old content is maintained, optimized and improved to match current expectations.

Then no need to worry about it, I agree.
    That is not my feeling.
    Also, looking at the dev team(that I have been able to find by searching around) points to a very minimal crew. I could be wrong on this one. So if the points from above are met, then it would not be that important. If they are not, then it becomes more important, imho, since staffing up maybe could help in that case.

Adam Helyes and atomed like this.
  15. lagg

lagg Registered

Out of curiosity, how do you arrive to the $1.000.000 amount?
    That is to say, why not $100.000 or $10.000.000?

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Just a number.
    Prob. $100k would be more achievable & still help.
    Maybe also kickstarter would be the wrong place, possibly starting in this forum would be more fruitful...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You've not answered my question.

18. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes,

"That is not my feeling." was my comment to the list I posted.
    So the answer was that in my perception they struggle on all the items listed, at least.

You can of course hold a different opinion to that.

To me it's a matter of time to market. It does not matter if these things are in place in some distant future. It matters that they are in place now or at least somewhat soon-ish, since it will be customer bleed until that happens, I am afraid. And I REALLY would like this sim to succeed!

I have been trying hard to be nice in the last responses, this one too, can I politely ask the same?

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I'm going to think about this.
    I imagine that i have a personal project, where i put all my effort during years, working as much as possible.
    And the same day that a guy registers in my web, in his first post, tell us that he is a big supporter of my project, but the result of my work is that day by day the things are going worst, that no one of the departments of the company tries hard enough.
    That he would support the effort to fix and improve my project if it's in an organized way.
    Resume:
    • Day by day the things are going worst.
    • The departments don't put effort in their work
    • We are not well organised.
    For sure that at this moment i'm in love with this guy.
    And furthermore, he has the solution. We need a million dollar to solve the project.
    Hallelujah!!

But (always there is a but), he doesn't know if the quantity is OK, and he doesn't now that this is not the first guy with this idea in this forum, and he doesn't realize that it's a lack of respect to S397, to try to manage their company without knowing anything about them.

Cote Dazur and jayarrbee36 like this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah you obviously are stuck behind a language barrier as you're still not explaining exactly what they are struggling with. Either way unless they actually come out and ask for a Kickstarter it's not gonna happen, nice idea in theory but not so great in practice, have a nice day.