Absurd Problem That Somehow Makes Me Slower

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by SETHONMETH, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SETHONMETH

SETHONMETH Registered

I really don't want to reveal my name associated with this account.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

It's for sure a bit strange to have one core loaded like that in rF2, I definitely don't experience this. My guess is it might have more to do with Windows core scheduling or Nvidia driver than rF2 physics itself (look for Nvidia "Threaded Optimization" setting and/or Windows 10 rF2 process affinity). Judging by how low your in-game physics thread usage is, I bet the core running at 100% is actually occupied with rendering or as @Lazza mentioned, some controller related stuff.

3. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I run single screen. And I found out my core is on full load with every sync except video, also when setting a framerate limit of 70fps only. For video, if I run windowed or borderless, i get serious stutters and freezes while driving as the framerate in game is 60fps but the refresh rate will allways reset in the graphic settings to 50hz. Setting full window mode allows for 60hz and I dont experience those stutters and freezes.
    However in video the input feels allways little bit laggy?
    T300 wheel.
    Edit: the shots were made with sync none and a limit of 121fps afair

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  4. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

You might know answer to this, if I change post processing effects to none at graphics options on rfactor launcher, then I have lot of more grip on Porsche GT3 Cup, specially noticeable on rear tires, versus any other post processing option, why?
    8700k @5ghz, ~4000mhz cl16 16gb, ssd, 1080ti, running 1920x1080 resolution.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you have a repeatable, measured change in grip by changing that setting, you should be talking to S397 - not me.

If you feel more grip with that setting change, you should first try to measure the difference - but it won't be easy, and could be impossible to isolate because of all the variables. If the feeling is consistent, or seems to be, you should try to set up some blind testing for yourself. A script that 'randomly' changes that setting in the config perhaps, you can run ~10 tests logging your impressions and then check against what the script says it did. If you get 75%+ correlation you might be onto something. As for why that might happen, I would suggest any extra lag would be one potential culprit for a disconnected feeling that can seem like less grip, especially on the rear.

6. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Repeatable, yes, measured, no and as you stated, it would be really hard to measure. Only measurement is slower lap times.
    Maybe just asking more people to test, am I having mambo Jambo alone with my setup.

7. lagg

lagg Registered

I suposse that a way to measure it would be using the AI with static real road.
    The AI doesn't use the same tyre model but if the grip changes the lap times will be different for them too, no?

8. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@lagg I'm questioning how constant lap times AI will lap.. This PP thing isn't a problem for me, I know (feel) difference and I know how to set graphics for me. :cool:

9. lagg

lagg Registered

It's easy to check. Repeat the same test several times and you'll see if the lap times are different, or not.

10. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@lagg no help, ±.060, first lap always fastest, when using AI control on my car and 40min duration.

11. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

I couldn't check personally different hardware setups on exactly the same car, same track and same conditions.....But I think would be great that developers guarantee that physics are exactly the same no matter what processor, graphic card, or memory you use...

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

They have already guaranted that a few times in different situations, but it's useless anyway, you just need someone spreading a rumor and the users won't believe the devs ;)

Remco Majoor and juanchioooo like this.
  13. stonec

stonec Registered

This isn't a problem. Every now and then somebody comes on forum and claims they notice a discrepancy, but they never follow it up by proper testing. rF2 engine isn't like the early 90's sims where physics rate depended on CPU speed. ISI's physics engine of rF2 is used as base in professional sims like rF Pro and is the result of 20 years of development. Besides, graphics and physics are decoupled in rF2 so that physics run on a separate thread, so it would almost be impossible to even create a scenario where a graphic setting would affect physics in any way. Placebo.

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

So we are expecting a 5 year old laptop to be the equal of an elite desktop? GPL was famous for rewarding more powerful systems, i.e. achieving 30 frames per second. There are too many possible computer concoctions to guarantee equal performance. I think we've seen more issues with weak systems just not loading rF2.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, there'll always be a lot of variation in performance and perception by the user, due to different hardware and software configurations. Forgotten things like screen settings (extra PP, effectively) can have a big impact on how the game feels (physics). But that's not something for the game to worry about - as long as it runs the physics in realtime and does it the same way for all systems, everyone's at least starting on a level playing field. As far as we know that's the case with rF2, perhaps more than most.

But those days of time-dependent physics are long gone, in the rFactor world at least.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

If the lap times are the same, it should mean that the different settings in PP don't affect the grip, no?

17. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

.. First lap fastest, then going slower and slower(there was realroad activated, test car alone on track).. Not enough data to say a thing. I don't mind, I'm happy without PP effects, it might be placebo to someone and that's fine for me, my system has just enough power to run game without PP and I'm leaving it as is. If there's actually interested people on solving this placebo, just put a PM or ask here, I can drop all settings from my nvidia and rfactor 2 to set similar settings for testing purposes.
    No hard feelings, every people got religion.

18. lagg

lagg Registered

The real road and the tyre wear are different things. You can have the RR static, but activated the tyre wear, and the lap times will change.
    You can lock the tyre wear in the Session Settings

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Even if you turn off wear I think thermal damage still works btw (or something like that, don't remember well now, I read about it long ago)

20. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, but the AI lap times should have a repetitive behabiour, no?