S397 AI Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip00, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Dear S397 and All,

Recently I installed RFactor 2 again and I was amazed how much the game improved since the last time I played. I am more of an offline gamer that is why the AI behavior is really important for me, and I was really happy to see how much the AI behavior also developed (especially defending behavior and player vs AI collision detection).

Before, I was playing a lot with Automobilista, where the developers put a lot of effort to the AI behavior in the last part of development. As AMS 2 will not support mods, so I kind of lost interest (but I am sure it will be an amzing game). That was the moment I reinstalled RFactor 2 to try it again, since at the moment this is the only game with mods and still in development, and I think this is really important for the gaming community.

As I started playing again a couple weeks ago, as I mentioned before, I was completely amazed, but noticed how much the game could be even better if certain bugs could be fixed and slight developments could be implemented regarding AI. I summarized a couple of suggestions that was available in AMS, which could improve this game into the highest level, not just online, but offline as well.

1. Better overtaking behavior with actually utilizing the draft (slipstream). I saw other threadsd and suggestion regarding this,so I will not go into details.

2. Add function for AI to slightly lift during in and out laps in practice / quali (implement blue flag behavior in quali/practice as well)

3. Add function for AI to lift back to the pits when car has substantial aerodynamic damage. This can be implemented, for example, in HDV there could be an AIDamageLift=0.0 row for this setting or fixed in other ways globally.

4. Add AI function to be able to customize the time or lap limit to prevent pitting to tire change before the end of the race - even if they cross their tire wear threshold.

5. Expand track GDB tire compound parameters to set different compound restrictions for different series, and define which of the allowed compounds AI qualifies & start race on.
    For example:
    CompoundsAllowed
    {
    RFMname
    {
    Quali=4,1,3
    Race=4,5,1
    }
    RFMname
    {
    Quali=1,2,3
    Race=2,3,4
    }
    }

(The numbers are representing the different compound order in TBC file.)

6. Add AIRaceCompoundSwitch parameter to RFM files - if set to 1 AI is forced to switch to the next tire compound allowed in a tire stop (if set to 0 or not present AI will continue on the same default compound). My idea is that the RaceCompoundSwitch should follow the compound order defined in TBC file.

Example 1: in the TBC file order is the following:

Race=1,2,3 (where 1=Soft, 2=Medium,3=Hard)

The AI at the first pit stop changes from soft to medium (because of they reach the pit threshold), at the second pit stop, they changes from medium to hard. In case they pit again, they will conitnue to change to hard as this is the last setting.

Example 2: in the TBC file order is the following:

Race=1,2,1 (where 1=Soft, 2=Medium,3=Hard)

The AI at the first pit stop changes from soft to medium (because of they reach the pit threshold), at the second pit stop, they changes from medium to soft again. In case they pit again, they will conitnue to change to soft as this is the last setting.

7. Add new TireManagement to driver RCD files - the lower the first value, the more the AI will wear its tires.

8. Add AIqualLapsperRun parameter to HDV files defining how many laps AI is supposed to run in qualifying. For example, if I set AIqualLapsperRun=4, then the AI will fuel up for 4 laps, then return to pits and later it goes out for another 4 laps again. In this case, we can set the QualifyLaps to unlimited in the game without the AI goes out to the track with full tank.

9. Add function for AI to coast to the pits after checkered flag (rather than racing on at full speed)

10. Bring back the old GDB features (PitStopStrategies). I will not detail this either as others already mentioned it.

11. Add Racequalratio to AIW so we can adjust the qualifying and the race pace

I also exerienced that the AI is stuck behind another AI when lapping, but I think the improvement mentioned in the 1. point could solve this issue.

These improvements could make the RFactor 2 the best offline simulator. My hope is that because the RFactor2 and AMS have similar engines, these improvements could be achieved. I collected these improvements, because in the last roadmap I saw that the AI is also part of the development. I know that you are developing other parts of the game also, and you need to prioritize tasks, but I hope that because there are lot of gamers offline also, and because lots of league uses AI online as well, maybe you could see how much is the demand for these improvements.

It might sound silly, but if you need any help, just let me know and I will try anything to help you. If others have any other suggestions, feel free to leave a comment.

RFactor2 is an amazing game and I enjoy it very much and I would like to congratulate for developing a game like this.

(If this post is in the wrong section, please help me to transfer it to the right one)

Thank you,
    Philip

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Bernat, SharD, datasting and 13 others like this.
  2. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I understand you at 100%, but how they could improve the AI if they can't make first a good AIW like for Azur ?

Levelup1 likes this.
  3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

The question may sound strange. But is it possible to make AI faster on the long straights? Every time on the straight it is as if I have 50 HP more power than the AI. I mean, is it possible to set the AI so that it has the same power on the straight as me? Because it is unrealistic that I always pass her like this. I hope you know what I mean. Best regards.

2ndLastJedi and atomed like this.
  4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

You are right, but unfortunately I think have lack of resources so probably they think that the AIW prblem could be fixed by us with the AIW editor, however the tthings that I listed could only be solved by the developpers. Since they mentioned that they will work on the AI, I thought collecting this list could help them, but you are absolutely right.

5. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Are you playing with mods? Usually it is a mod problem, however if you are playing with less than 100% AI Strength there is a trick in the plr file.

Change AI calibration from 7 to 6

"AI Power Calibration":6,
    "AI Power Calibration#":"Adjustments with AI strength (0=none, or add the following: 1=power, 2=gearing, 4=fuel)",

Like this, becasue the power is out of the calibration, no matter how you set the AI strength, in the straight they will go as if setting would be on 100%

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

AI can't slipstream, that's why you overtake them easily....

memoNo1 and DrivingFast like this.
  7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Usually with at least 100%.

8. atomed

atomed Member

Great suggestions Philip00, 100% agree.

9. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thank you, I hope the developers attantetion will draw to this post as well :)

Stefan_L_01 and atomed like this.
  10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

The sim is really good. Unfortunately there are open construction sites everywhere ...

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  11. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

yes, but s397 needs help,they struggle in every part.

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I really don't believe that.
    They know very well what they are doing. You can see that in the content.
    But I think they are mercilessly understaffed.
    I don't think that the income will bear any further personnel costs.
    The guys, every single one works deep into the night. I think so.
    But due to a lack of staff, the cat keeps biting its tail.
    I hope and give them the big leap to expand.
    Because they are definitely masters of their field.
    Only the implementation is sometimes very chaotic in my eyes.
    But well I prefer to keep sweeping in front of my own door ...

t0p5ecret and atomed like this.
  13. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

The one thing I would love to see is the ability to create a first lap path with a unique identifier something like FAST_FIRST that all cars would use to run a clean first lap that way you could ensure that there aren’t any of the typical first lap pileups that generally occur, the cars could cleanly navigate that lap spread out a bit in a realistic manner and then transition onto the FASTEST path as they cross the line.

pkelly, Mitch9, 2ndLastJedi and 5 others like this.
  14. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I wonder if any sim will ever get first lap AI right? Having a huge gap at the first corner that nobody dives into is certainly immersion breaking.

15. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I think it's doable I implemented something like it for the first corner of Macau, but the cars do go a little wide, however they all make it and they all take it at speed. I would be fine with that just for the first lap or even the first half of a lap until the cars spread a little.

16. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Registered

Phillip have you done any AI mods for AMS? Sounds like you really have your head around that AI.

17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

little question about AI, I have raced Nordschleife at 21h00, but there are always 2 or 3 AI who don't have the headlights on....How to force AI to have the headlights on at 21h00?

18. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Yes I've converted Rfactor mods and modify the HDV, TBC, Series file to get the best possible AI. Let me know in PM if you have questions.

19. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Is HeadlightsRequired = true line included in this form in the GDB file?

20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

yes it's true, with 19 AI, 16 have headlights on, but always 2 or 3 have the headlights off.

Nurburgring_Nordschleife
    {
    Filter Properties = rFRS TMOD *
    Attrition = 30
    Max Vehicles = 36
    TrackName = Nurburgring -- Nordschleife
    EventName = Nurburgring -- Nordschleife
    VenueName = Nurburgring
    VenueIcon = Nurburgring\NurburgringIcon.dds
    Location = Nürburg, Germany
    Length = 25.378 km / 15.769 Miles
    TrackType = Permanent Road Course
    TerrainDataFile=..\Nurburgring.tdf
    HeadlightsRequired = true
    FormationAndStart = 2
    RollingStartLoc = 0
    FormationSpeedKPH = 120

NumStartingLights = 5

GarageDepth = 3
    RacePitKPH = 80
    NormalPitKPH = 80
    QualPitKPH = 80.00

TestDaystart = 8:00
    Practice1Start = 9:00
    Practice2Start = 10:00
    Practice3Start = 11:00
    QualifyStart = 8:00
    WarmupStart = 9:00
    RaceStart = 10:40
    RaceLaps = 200
    RaceTime = 1440

Latitude = 50.336629 // degs from Equator (range: -90 to 90, positive is Northern Hemisphere)
    Longitude = 6.952836 // degs from GMT (-180 to 180, positive is East)
    RaceDate = June 27, 2019
    Altitude = 600.0
    TimezoneRelativeGMT = +1.0 // hours compared to Greenwich Mean Time (should be negative to the West)
    DSTRange=(70.0, 308.0, 0, 9999) // (start day 1.0-367.0, end day 1.0-367.0, start year, end year); multiple lines allowed

HazeDepthMult=1000
    HazeDepthBase=1000

EDIT : at 21h30 they all have the headlights ON, but I prefer racing at 21h00...