Thrill of this game...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Mar 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Rapala

Rapala Registered

I've been away from RF2 for some time because my taste runs more towards easy access online competition, so IRacing, SRS and more recently ACC. After a thoroughly unsatisfying race in the iracing porsche cup on it's new ice rear tires, I decided to fire up rf2. Selected the EVE F2 1968 and went to Nords. Wow, just wow! Suddenly I felt like I'm actually connected to the road, the tires behaving in a believable, yet terrifying way. The dynamics of the car truly coming alive and feeling a thrilling sense of speed. I was transfixed and just utterly hypnotised, doing lap after lap for an hour trying to find places to gain a bit of time without risking my 'life'. I can't imagine the thrill and terror the guys who did this for real back in the day must have felt, all I know for sure is they must had to use specially designed jocks to carry their massive balls! (And this was only F2)
    It's exciting to know that RF2 has an upcoming competition system, I really hope it is going to be taking the format that works, scheduled races with an Elo system. I feel sure it will bring people flooding to join as the sheer thrill of driving in RF2 is just amazing. Pair that with a good online racing system and we have the ultimate sim!

atomed, Levelup1, bwana and 2 others like this.
  2. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

:cool:

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Fast forward and the modern F1 champion is more worried about how his hair looks after a race. :confused:

I had a go with the F1 Legends Racing 2.0 Season 1967 mod a few weeks ago.
    Driving with a H-pattern and heel / toe shifting certainly makes the popular modern GT3 cars very sedate in comparison.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    bwana and memoNo1 like this.
  4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Now you have made me curious. I've never driven boxes of these so far ..

5. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

rFactor2 is perhaps too good, it seems to consume much of my time :)
    Race sims are simulators and won't ever duplicate the full effect of the real thing. Same is true for CAD system modeling like stress/thermal analysis, or electronic circuit simulation. But some are far better than others. rFactor2 is simply at the top of the stack in terms of fidelity.

No doubt rFactor2 lags others in online play, and I suspect that's partly intentional. rFactor1 was far easier to find and communicate with others in the lobby of Matchmaker and even in those days it was best to join or form a league.

So many great mods too.

As for crashbox (H-pattern) shifting there simply are no shifters on the market that can replicate the feeling to a point where its worth it IMO. Likewise none of the sims have provided the tunable elements required to support crashbox shifting. I suspect that will only change when (not if) someone like Fanatec develops and ships them, and even then it will take a large enough installed base of crashboxes to make code development worthwhile.

atomed and bwana like this.
  6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Given the choice of either spending $200 odd dollars on my Thrustmaster TH8RS to use when driving cars that have a H pattern box or having to drive those cars using paddles or sequential shifter, there is simply no choice.
    To me if feels unnatural to drive, for example, a Datsun 510 or a Lotus Cortina with anything but a H pattern.
    I also don't mind a relaxing drive in truck sims and because of having a H shifter I have learnt how they select gears in a 18 speed Eaton Fuller truck transmission to name one.

atomed and ItsBillyFrazier like this.
  7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Understandable. Having raced for over ten years with Hewlands and Webster boxes I'll take the paddles myself.

ADSTA likes this.