Simhub - missing class position in shared memory data

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by ThomasJohansen, Mar 8, 2020.

1. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Im trying to make a multiclass leaderboard in simhub, but missing some data varibles for playerclass position and opponentclass position.

Is it a simhub fault or shared memory stream missing the info?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

No idea really, another option may be the data is not exposed by the game. @The Iron Wolf may be able to shed some light on the subject.

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

This info is not exposed via rF2 API but you can do your own calculations by using VehicleScoring::mVehicleClass. However, keep in mind that very few series use mVehicleClass to denote "Class", most use it as "make" or "team", so you would need to group them into logical class, just as Crew Chief does it.

Goanna likes this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

@The Iron Wolf - wow and thx for the info, but it might be out of my capability.

The more I dig into this overlay stuff, I realize how much basic info is left out of the api.

huge respect for Mr belowski's crewcheif...... Are you him?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

We work together as a team :)

Well, API has to be fast and simple, so it is a bit of work to derive information you need, timings were especially hard to calculate right. But all that's better done outside the game. I can tell you rF2 provides hands down best data (complete and reliable) of all the games supported by the CC.

I never looked into SimHub (past ShakeIt) but I if am not mistaken SH has its own data model, maybe class positions are calculated there? You might want to ask on their Discord. But grouping cars into classes would still need to be done by hand.

We may also be exposing Crew Chief data in the future, we just added mechanism to do that.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  6. ThomasJohansen

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

@The Iron Wolf

Why the api has to be so slim? I don't get it...

I don't know if they use the api data to draw the MDF data on screen, but since dx11 we have a lack of basic information for drivers and for broadcast in screen, why studio397 can't do the basic stuff like all other sims?

Some extra bytes not gonna destroy the performance, but all this 3rd party software that we need to use to have a decent experience is influencing on the performance, sometimes with a lot of JavaScript involved, and if someone wants to do some malicious thing? the game is very sensible with stuttering already.

I need all these extra software, because they can't do a simple relative time screen, pedals input, ffb clipping, spotter. Is risky to race without some of this info, you can easily cause a crash playing online.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Actually rF2 Internals API is one of the best and richest ones available, and one of big advantages of rF2 vs competition. For example - iRacing is too restrictive (your team cannot see you lost wing on TV, or you don't know your position till you cross s/f? come on) and ACC is simply broken. rF2 has the most immersive CC integration, thanks to its great API. And the fact that some fields need extra calculations in the client and are not there on a plate with silver platter - well, that's programming.

If anything, my guess in the future you will see data reduced because a lot of it gives you competitive advantage. I keep getting messages like "could you help me automate start procedure" ... but anyway, I really hope that at least for offline use data stays unrestricted and gets richer - there are some blind spots, and they can be fixed/improved. Restricting it too much will hurt immersion as it does with iRacing.

You can build any UI you want using SimHub, and the fact that rF2 does not have UI like "black boxes" in iRacing, that has nothing to do with API.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  9. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

I thought there was a getclassposition (or something like that) method in the Ncalc functions ...

Pretty sure there is as I've built a Custom leaderboard with class position in it.