Simtek vs Apex vs S397 GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Feb 11, 2020.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've been saying recently that the old Simtek mod was too fast for the S397 DLC cars, but I have to apologize and retract that statement. The Simtek cars are much slower. I had un-installed the Simtek mod once the S397carpaks came out so I lost touch with the mod. I seem to remember the URD GTE cars were not matching up with the Simtek GT3 so I guess I carried that memory with me without checking.
    Anyhow, as far as merging the Lambo and Ferrari into the S397 carsets, that gap is actually larger than I expected, but slower. The default Lambo setup felt like air was packing under the nose, high speed corners would result in a light feeling via the FFB and reduced cornering. My first impression was similar to the S397 Mercedes, but I quickly realized the reduced grip went along with the light FFB on faster corners. Top speed at Sebring was 8 to10 kph lower than the S397 products I've driven lately.
    With rf1/gtr2, it was fairly simple to check AI performance as the hud was displayed when using the swingman camera, But I'm not aware of that option in rF2. I'm not sure how much time could be recovered with forcing AI setups.

Maybe it's time we ran a full testing program to find the strengths and weaknesses of each mod.

2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I recently re-tried some Simetik GT3s and indeed they understeer too much in high speed corners. From memory, You can adjust engine mixture for better lap times and perhaps force setup for AI.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks for jogging my memory, the Simtek cars do have adjustable fuel mixtures, but no setting to adjust the ABS brakes.

4. AustinIsCoolBeans

AustinIsCoolBeans Registered

IIRC, the issue with the AI being too slow and understeering is because the default rear wing angle is set wayyy too high, they top out at ~155mph, after lowering the angle, the simtek cars start to outpace the 397 gt3's

atomed and Mangoletsi like this.
  5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

It’s not only AI understeering with Simtek. I found the cars are just underseery at high speeds

6. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

The Simtek mod is unfinished. It was still WIP and than suddenly they quitt. Just before they actually wanted to release the Audi R8 LMS. They had renderings of the Lexus as well. Such a shame.

7. Depco

Depco Registered

As I recall the Simtek Mod contained a single car rip from another game and they were either forced the abandon the project, or decided that it was not worth the effort to complete the project with scratch made cars (S397 official releases probably did not help their motivation)

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Multiple, not single.
    But yeah, that's probably the way it went indeed. Which is a shame... GPfan was and is extremely talented - borrowed 3D meshes or not, he spent incredible amounts of time getting to look right and feel right.
    We could do with his efforts still with and without borrowed stuff.

The Iron Wolf likes this.