[REL] RF2 Audio Overhaul 1.3 (Final)

Discussion in 'Other' started by doddynco, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

That is really a great thing. Thanks for that. 1+

doddynco likes this.
  2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Comparison video on first post. For the sake of the video, the default sound has -5dB gain (to compensate for loudness).

Liuke44 and t0p5ecret like this.
  3. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Got to say mate this is great work totally transformed some of my favourite cars, the Porsche GT3 and the new Cup car.

doddynco and CrimsonEminence like this.
  4. AUSTmike

AUSTmike Registered

how do i get the other cars engines to sound louder!..this is an issue for me in rf2!..trying to find the ai car sounds in a config file or some other file!...cheers

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

In the Audio settings turn up the Opponent Volume Ratio or if that is at maximum turn down Player Volume Ratio

6. AUSTmike

AUSTmike Registered

Thx ADSTA!..that fixed my issue..its a simple fix but one that easily overlooked cheers!..i have loader AI sounds now!...

my player volume was at 100%..and when iturn this volume down to 70% i got much louder ai or other cars engine sounds!.now!

ADSTA likes this.
  7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

8. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Registered

I'm using the mod since 2 months ago and it's nice . Possibly for later updates you may should increase the outside engine sounds. In external cams the engine sound is too low

Thanks

mixer61 likes this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I wish I could but every car has a different engine volume level. The idea of the mod was to give more headroom (dynamic range) to the audio. It's less tiring on the ears and genearlly sounds better to me. I would say to adjust engine audio on the fly for different cars, but that is a pain. So I just leave it at about 40% and this is where you get decent headroom for most content, and without some cars engines going too quiet.

The way S397 have done the sound is to effectively make the engine sounds harshly compress against the limiter, so you end up with a flat (boring in my opinion) audio signal. The problem is high dynamic range audio requires that the .sfx files for the content is mixed with that in mind - none of it is.

This 'overhall' isn't really an overhall, it's just a quick dirty 'how can I stop my ears bleeding from maximum compression' fix.

Rf2 content's audio is very messy right now, and I think it would benefit the game massively for s397 to dedicate a sound engineer to do an audio pass on every peice of official content, and to do so with the goal of fully utilising the audio engines potenial for proper high dynamic range audio, whilst perhaps adding a few new things to the audio engine. Once this is underway, a standardised audio guide for modders is needed.

Unreal 5 is about to take video game audio to a whole new level. In a few years Rf2's audio will feel desperately poor compared the competition unless S397 do something about it.

Edit: I just want to add that, the guys doing the sound for the new cars are for the most part, doing an excellent job with what they have as a base, and knowing that they have to work to the current 'max loudness' standards. They surely know these limitations better than anyone. I just hope that everything can be standardised and with a different approach to loudness.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    mantazzo, badun, buzz hornet and 5 others like this.