Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dan Bull

Dan Bull Registered

2. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Just curiosity asking next,
    Could someone who's having constant freezes switch replay file packing OFF and report is he having any difference on freezes?

Because it looked like always when there's diak io activity those freezes might happen, my own 'last' freezes died after turning replay file packing off.
    Also one major freeze killer was to switching off windows file write cache flush, even windows and steam+rf2 are both on SSD drives.

Is there some problem with disk io calls between windows 10 past year versions and rfactor2? Or is packing algorithm something what makes windows file io cuff? My own first freezes appeared on around time when I had big windows update, also sometime after that updated my free avast to paid one.
    I'm using Avast virus protection, paid one, weirdly don't remember ever having freezes prior paid one.. Also disk io...

Just my 2cents..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    M Lynn likes this.
  3. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

I'll be trying that, thanks. Don't know about turning off write cache flush though, it could cause other system problems, it's not something I'd want to disable on a regular basis.

4. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Right, this has been happening to me as well.

After about 30 mins into the session or so, the graphics/sound freeze for a second or two, and your car finds itself in a wall or opponent when the graphics come back.

I'm kind of fearful for my next league race. From my initial experience, these freezes only occur once though... Last league race I joined the session, had the freeze in the training, then kept that same session open until the race. I managed the one hour race without any freezes.

I'll switch on the logging and monitor my system this evening to see if I can find something there. Then I'll try the replay file packing trick from above. I'd be very hesitant in turning off write caching though...

@Marcel Offermans mentioned the join lag/freezes were going to be fixed in the next update, but unsure about this particular bug? Would be nice to know if/when this'll be fixed, as it's rather game breaking :/

JimmyT likes this.
  5. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

It's not turning cache off, only forced cache flush will be switched off. Normally windows flush cache to drive by its own triggers, periodic or other windows decided timings will occur when to flush(write) cache to drive. Turning off means only at windows won't force flush(write) cache to drive, it will write it without forced events.
    Only case when you might have problem with off switched cache flush is when your computer i.e. blue screens, or jams. If your computer doesn't suffer random boots or jams, then there's nothing to worry.

6. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Yeah, that's what I meant. The risk of data loss if you have an unexpected shutdown. Going by Murphy's law, although I'm not suffering from any computer issues at the moment and have a UPS, those kind of things usually happen at the worst possible time :D

Anyway, I switched off the zipping of the replay, and didn't have any freezes during our Sunday's league race. Of course we also just had a patch for rF2 which fixed the join lag again, so now I don't know yet which of the two fixed it :). Next training session I'll switch replay compression on again to see if the freeze comes back.

OdeFinn likes this.
  7. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I turned replays and even hotlap recording off, I still got the freeze.
    Received later update for fixing join/leave lag, still got the 5+ sec, race ending, graphics freeze, it's still there.
    As mentioned above, it will only happen once, either in practice or in the race, that is so far.

M Lynn likes this.
  8. Dan Bull

Dan Bull Registered

Buen día a todos, les puedo decir que encontré el problema de congelar mi instalación, después de buscar y buscar encontré este video en YouTube y resolví mi problema de congelar la pantalla, aquí les dejo el video.
    No he experimentado congelación durante una semana con cualquier mod que use, espero que funcione para todos.
    Perdon por el ingles

9. Lorenzo Arisi

Lorenzo Arisi Registered

I had a freeze of 3 seconds during a 4h endurance race, yesterday:
    It was a weird one because after the freeze i didn't find myself at the same spot as when the freeze started but some meters ahead.

I enabled advanced logging and there it is:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjyp8lv5bobcb5l/Logs.rar?dl=0

10. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Unfortunately I had the freeze again last night. I guess sometimes you just don't notice the freeze, because you're in the pits when it happens. Will enable logging and monitoring next time.

11. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I have also noticed that your position no longer freezes. Maybe they changed something (unnoticed as so often) in the code which results in this. Or this freeze is not physics related but graphics related. Anyway i think it's better this way as a freeze no longer would ruin other drivers race around you crashing into you.

But i am quiet disappointed in the silence of devs in this thread. I have the feeling that they are no longer interested in fixing this bug. Maybe they have to run again into a disaster race themself before they put it higher on ther priority list. Pretty sad....

M Lynn and Adam Helyes like this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I'm sure this is a TOP priority for them, but maybe they couldn't yet found the problem and that in fact worries me a LOT!

13. McFlex

McFlex Registered

If it is top priority than the devs should be a bit more active towards this thread and other bug reports. I mean i read a lot in this forum and my overall experience is that the devs give a **** about all those bug report popping up. There are so much reports and i see barely none of them fixed. I could even instanlty report at least 10 more bugs but i am not very much encouraged to even spend my time writing these because even if it would be 5 minutes of time fixing these things, they wouldn't get fixed and than it's a waste of time for me.

14. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

The lack of response is rather frustrating for us end-users, not knowing if the issue is even being worked on. Lots of other threads as well complaining about the roadmap being more of a eSports and DLC promo rather than clear plans for features and bug squashing. It's all shrouded in mystery of what's being worked on.

I don't know if there is even a point in posting these logs. They just show physics and frame times, but I'm not sure how this is going to help pinpointing the issue. If they are actively trying to squash it, I hope that by now they are able to reproduce the issue. A heads-up would be nice in that case. Just a one-liner on the forum would do... And if not, they should more actively be asking for logs and people's systems to understand what the issue could be related to, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I wonder what % of the users suffer from this particular issue...

It took a disastrous eSports race for them to kick into action on some bugs (like the rejoining), and then they have proven to be able to investigate and fix a ton of stuff that had been plaguing rFactor for ages.

M Lynn and Adam Helyes like this.
  15. Marisa

Marisa Registered

To be fair, they did include a list of issues they are working on in the last 2? posts on the main site.
    Nothing about the freezes though.

Attached Files:

Tygernoot likes this.
  16. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Ah indeed. It's mostly related to the new GUI, but that's exactly the sort of transparency that provides confidence in the evolution of the product :)

17. McFlex

McFlex Registered

These are just known issues with the new UI

18. Marisa

Marisa Registered

They acknowledged the AI throttle behavior in the post before the latest one.
    I hope this means it's high(er) priority and will be fixed soon.

Attached Files:

19. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

I've spent the last whole week trying to eliminate the cause of this, installing new drivers for everything, testing, turning off plugins, testing, different video modes, testing, third-party apps, testing, various tweaks, yep more testing. Hours, hours and hours I've spent, testing, tweaking, reading forum posts, all kinds. And just had another HUGE lag, it happens nearly every session now. So much time wasted on this, I'm sick of it, I give up. I don't hold out much hope it will get fixed any time soon either.

McFlex, Rui Santos and JimmyT like this.
  20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I'm hearing you there. Having the same freeze issue in most sessions now, can be driving, then graphics stops but car, sound, FFB, motion platform, keeps going, then (if I'm lucky) the graphics will return but I'm in a wall somewhere. It's extremely irritating when you are 2 laps from the end of the race and doing OK and then you're in the wall with no engine or one of your wheels hanging off (it nearly always happens in a friggin corner) or, worst case, it doesn't come back up and you have to do a reboot to get out of the sim and my expensive equipment is bashing itself to pieces because the sim still thinks it's halfway through a paddock somewhere. (I'll send the bill for that later o_O)
    I've been pretty tolerant of the bugs and lack of communication with regard to most of them, but it's wearing pretty thin. It's like S397 don't want to acknowledge that they have this freeze / lag issue, kind of like
    "well we saw we had a problem so we got some logs and changed something so it should be all good now, thanks"
    That is starting to hurt a bit at this stage.

My 2cents worth. Thanks for listening (if you did)

M Lynn, Marisa, McFlex and 1 other person like this.