How do Yellow and white flags work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remco Majoor, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

So last VEC race, we ran into the back of a slow driving GTE (doing 80 where normally you do 250-300) after he hit the wall at 200 kph, and flipped a total of 8 times (which makes me question the damage model a little too). The video below shows the live stream we had from our car at that time

https://streamable.com/hcgoh

To my surprise there was no yellow flag (even with a rear wing laying on the track) and also not even a white flag (with that much speed difference).

My question is; How does the flag system work?

And maybe this might need improvement (if it's not already on the long list)

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

aren't flags controlled by the online admin for VEC races? Just curious, was never good enough to join them.

3. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

no, pretty sure its not

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yellow only shows if a car is below a certain speed or stopped on track I believe. There is no flag for slow moving cars, unless they are very slow, then the yellow should be shown.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

How slow is slow though? is it relative, or a static limit?

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Probably static. You can test it by just driving slow and see when it goes yellow.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It'll be relative to the expected speed at that point on track based on the AIW and the car.

8. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

As what's available to an admin for any series, a live steward can only throw a full course yellow, AFAIK.

In VEC, a code 80 is sometimes called for slow cars or other major problems on the track. This requires all drivers to slow to 80 km/h (pit lane speed limit) within the enforcement time.

But it's not possible for someone to see all issues and call a code 80 or throw a yellow flag, which is why it would be better for the game to show yellow or white flags at appropriate times.

As far as people being good enough, there are drivers of all abilities in VEC. And people should be less hesitant to race online, they might be surprised to find that they are as bad as they thought.

At which point shouldn't it show a white flag instead a yellow flag? Yes I know rF2 doesn't support white flags, but maybe that could be a future enhancement.

ItsBillyFrazier and Remco Majoor like this.
  9. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Registered

A question to full course yellow: Is it possible to disable this?
    After i bought the Nordschleife when it was released last year yesterday I wanted to try it with AI for the first time (the UI has kept me from doing so far). I tried for a few hours but not one time I could get a race up and running. Each time after a few corners there was a full course yellow. So I gave up and let the AI following the safety car while trying to get a feeling for rFactor 2.

This is really annoying I don't want to invest my time in a full course yellow on Nordscheife in virtual cars with nobody real on the track.

10. PolarClaw

PolarClaw Registered

Is there a option? Maybe in an cfg or ini file?
    I have searched the forum but the only advice I've found in a thread about the AI was to disable the rules completely.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Race with BLACK FLAGS ONLY in the options, you'll still see Yellow Flags warning of incidents but no FCY :)

PolarClaw likes this.