Pit Crew UI for Teams [Feature Request]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aceshigh70, Feb 9, 2020.

1. aceshigh70

aceshigh70 Registered

Feature request which is probably a pretty big request, but would add to the realism of the sim especially in races when there are 40 cars on track and the driver’s attention needs to be on driving and comms and not on jacking with controls. It would be nice if someone running the pit wall could actually make all fuel, tire, etc. adjustments for a driver on their team without having the rf2 client running. Maybe a pit crew UI that just allows changes to a specific driver that could potentially be controlled through crypto private/public keys so that people can’t change other drivers settings randomly.

atomed, buzz hornet and Bill Worrel like this.
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It's planned, the ui is HTML 5, so lots of new things are possible.

aceshigh70 likes this.
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

It would be really nice if this type of feature could be handled by Crew Chief (from @The Iron Wolf (gratuitous plug:eek::D)). If the devs opened up code to allow CC to handle pit stop tuning. So if you asked CC "how much fuel to end of race?" and he says you need 60L you could ask for 60L rather than adding 1L at a time. Other pit commands could be "don't change tyres" or "don't fix damage" or "fix damage" or "only change front tyres"
    Rather than fiddling with a menu while trying to pass cars you could use voice commands. The Iron Wolf and his team have done a great job with CC and he (CC) understands everything I say, most of the time ;). It'd be a great way to handle pit stops and I think, from what I've read in the update notes (from CC), that they've already got this feature (or similar) for other titles.

atomed likes this.
  4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

There's some data in rF2 data model that _might_ be useful for that, @Seven Smiles is currently investigating it. I have way too much going on in my real life nowadays, so it is lower priority for me, and I am not planning to look into that any time soon. The next big thing on my plate in CC is subtitles.

From a brief look I had at that data, it does not seem to be making it easy/reliably to make pit changes programmatically, it might allow hacky/flaky way, just as in other games today. I am strongly against all kinds of unrealistic aids, but it _is_ realistic for driver to communicate to his chief via speech and ask for certain pit stop adjustments (in modern times). And it will certainly be great to be able to tell the game what pit setting user wants, without flaky hacks, but that will require S397 to implement such a mechanism.

JimmyT, atomed and Emery like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I use voice commander to make certain pit changes. I can short fill or top the tank in several large chunks. Tires I can change compounds, but not by names. I have to say left or right to increment those changes. Same with Air Pressure. But it helps, when everyone is quiet in the house and not raising a rukus to confuse voice commander.

6. aceshigh70

aceshigh70 Registered

The problem I have with crew chief and voice commander is that I run sim volume through speakers and only comms through headset. It’s more realistic to me this way. Sort of like having a helmet on that muffles external noise but you can still clearly hear the engine RPMs. Maybe there’s a way to work around the background noise for speech recognition??

7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Sorry @The Iron Wolf wasn't my intention to load up your schedule (but I do love your program). I used CC as an example because it works so well.

Yes, but in real life the driver isn't normally the one who requests fuel load or even when to pit in most cases. :D

I have voice attack, but I find that CC understands me so much better than VA.

atomed and The Iron Wolf like this.