RF2 and H-shifter support ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jual, Feb 4, 2020.

1. jual

jual Registered

is it eventually proposed to get a proper H-shifter support ?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the question needs to be asked - what do you consider "proper" h-shifter support? Can you describe what it would do?

3. jual

jual Registered

the minimal requirement for most cars would be, no clutch no gear change.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What you are really asking is if the clutch/transmission system will be improved so that you are just not clicking the contact buttons even with an H shifter but actually matching and engaging the rpm & gearing.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Personally I would put such thing very high on wishlist, but I guess it is way down on S397 "wishlist". They haven't tinkered that much with core physics yet, as much as I could say. Also I wonder if S397 will ever release any car with a manual transmission, they did release classic mclaren F1 car, but to me it is inferior to other two available - March and Brabham, so maybe such cars aren't interesting to them in the first place...

amishracing likes this.
  6. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

7. jual

jual Registered

yes, I momentary use it (many thanks to seven smiles) but this could not be a permanent solution.
    I hope the devs get some notice of that, resolve it bringing Rf2 to a higher authenticity.

8. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Haha, let me answer your question. A proper clutch model will come out after the new UI is stable, in other words probably never. :)

9. Emery

Emery Registered

A proper model in game really needs a proper H-shifter attachment, one that will kick the shifter out of gear when you get it wrong (and has the mangled teeth to make engagement difficult). Unfortunately, there's only one that exists in the marketplace and it's only proper if you're simulating a dogbox rather than synchromesh.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's about as much as the game itself can do regarding "forcing" you to shift properly, though with some minor tweaks and vehicle-specific behaviour. For online play you can never guarantee others are doing it properly so expectations need to be managed in that regard (hence my question).

The other side of things would be clutch wear and gear damage, I think Seven Smiles would like to do things like that with his program but we'll hopefully see something along those lines in the game one day. That sort of thing gets mentioned time to time so the devs are aware of it, but it will obviously take some time. Expect another update from GoldenBear on that one.

GoldenBear likes this.
  11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

That may be good for some older cars with synchro boxes.
    Not needed for the vast majority of formula cars (even the vintage models) or prototypes as they had non-synchro boxes and were driven with a "rev-it-and-stuff-it" technique. On those cars you just pause engagement until the engine and gearbox revs are within about 1-2% of each other just like the real thing.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. jual

jual Registered

yes, but this is already the second step and be aware that this even with ignition interruption wear your gearbox.

13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I used the "WISHLIST" section of the forum a lot, giving many ideas.

Some (not all) are probably very good.

I have never had a response from S397 nor a "thank you for the suggestions".

It gives me the impression that they don't really take into account the ideas of "WISHLIST".

I hope to be wrong, maybe I am wrong !

As you can see, the wish to improve the shift/clutch system has already been formulated :

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/very-realistic-clutch-for-rf2.62018/

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@DrivingFast It must be just a little piece of entire science about how game developers handle social sphere. I can remember absolutely same happening in Assetto Corsa forums on equivalent subforum. Feels like such forums are mostly just functioning as a drain so other forums wouldn't have those more than it does anyway. Perhaps it also could be used as a little bit of measure to read what people want. As one of the primary thing any game user always wants something more and better, always wish and always has something to suggest. And some does make some proper intelligent suggestions. But I am yet to hear about anything from those subforums ever to be used by developers, I have never heard such thing, never heard anyone getting any credit from any devs for good suggestions. I also see how developers prefer not to get too much associated themselves with players, it seems to be unwritten rule that developers shouldn't participate too much in social spaces of forums and such... There are some developers that you will never hear about at all, some very rare, and then some usually like top developers participating only when it is necessary. Except perhaps Lord Kunos, he used to get into online community more often, but I guess later realized that it is not worth it at some point (and I completely understand it), he also gave bit of credit for little physics tweaks once or twice for few community guys, iiric, but it was more like from private conversations with people, I think.

I think this subject about how simracing works socially these days could be a good topic with beer, but in short - it all sucks. I don't really blame developers though, I think it is inevitable as simracers numbers increase qualities of communities decrease. Whats worst it seems like most creative and intelligent people are quite quick to leave.

DrivingFast and The Iron Wolf like this.
  15. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

For a proper clutch, there's AMS...

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think I'm offended :D

It's a fine line between community involvement and chaos - too many cooks spoil the broth. In some ways even the drivetrain is an example: we know it was acknowledged early (2013?) and sounded like some work might be imminent, and here we are in 2020. I doubt the person responding at that time was lying, so priorities and goals obviously changed before that work was done. If you start trying to act on the wishes of tens of people on the forum you'll easily get stretched too thin, and often those wishes can be incompatible too.

And there's always the danger of further splintering if a community member gets so much credit they see themselves as one of the devs, gain their own following, and arguments start about whose ideas are better. Reminds me of FFB - in rF1 plugins were able to change the FFB output, and we ended up with at least 3 camps. I lamented the loss of this ability in rF2 especially in regards to catering for certain wheels, but it's kept us together and stopped FFB arguments.

pkelly and The Iron Wolf like this.
  17. TJones

TJones Registered

I really linke how it's been done there, maybe S397 devs can ask for some hints. :)

18. Marisa

Marisa Registered

S397 helped with AMS, could very well be that they programmed the gearbox logic. ;)

19. TJones

TJones Registered

They did indeed. :D

I have bit of a strange sense of humor sometimes. :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  20. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Well there is some differences between AMS and rF2. A slight tangent, in AMS there is "over rev protection" for the paddle shifts. I know it was active in the EEC GT3 mod. That is where the car will not let you shift down if that resulting gear change will over rev the engine. As far as I know, this is not active in rF2.

But I'm all for having a better transmission system.

TJones likes this.