Ai teammate (Toggle ai driver)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AUY2K, Jan 29, 2020.

1. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

I am thinking about purchasing rF2 specifically for single player long endurance races, but would like an option like with Project Cars 2 with "AI Driver Swap".

Is there a "toggle ai control" in rF2 in order to take over for a period of time to act as an AI teammate?

If so I was thinking at a certain point in the race I would "toggle ai driver" and let the ai drive for awhile then I would save mid-race (if this option is available) or use the replay option to re-load and enter back into the race under my control. Would this even be possible in rF2?

Thanks for any insight into what options I have when it comes to single player endurance racing.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You press I, and the ai takes over in three seconds.

3. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Great!

Now would it be possible after the ai drives for a period of time for example, 2 hours, then I stop the sim then load from the replay to take back control of the car?

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

5. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Perfect. Thanks for your replies!

6. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Don`t have to use replay - press I again and you get back control......

7. J7166

J7166 Registered

Wow I did not know you could do this!

8. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Even better!!!!!

Everything I have researched up until this point said once you toggle ai you couldnt toggle back - you would have to just let it play out or exit the sim.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The good news is: AT LEAST WITH THE MOD I TESTED, after pressing I and letting the AI drive a full stint, he came in for fuel and tires. I am not sure all cars will do this, I recall users complaining about the AI controlled driver just motoring around til his fuel ran out. But with the 1967 Howston Endurance Mod, my AI controlled driver pitted for fuel and tires and then pressed on. I would suggest you test this with whatever cars you prefer, and start a race. After the first lap, pit, press I, let the AI carry on. Use CTRL X to speed up time and watch your co-pilot til the fuel tank runs dry.
    I should point out, the AI driver did not respond to my use of the pit command. The green wrench icon was on-screen, but he just drove on by. If you want the AI to stop early, you'll have to jump back into the cockpit, and press I to drive the car into the pits.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    J7166 likes this.
  10. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Well I took the plunge and bought rF2, endurance pack, challengers gt3 pack, and sebring. I will install all this today and try and get everything peripheral wise the way I like it as well.

Then hopefully tomorrow do some testing as you suggested DaveHenrie to make sure my AI teammate pits and then get some track time in. The plan is to race 12 hours of sebring on Saturday!

J7166 and davehenrie like this.