Honesty speaking rF2 seems a lost cause

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williang83, Jan 27, 2020.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Ahem, not...not really, I was going to produce a "quitehuge.PDF" with all the errors and changes needed to potentially fix it (from users experience point of view based on studies and not personal preferences) but I ended giving up...not worth the time to be honest, they spent a year for that "UI" and I don't have time to spend on this (for what?) due to real life commitments.
    About AMS2 as the next Graal of simracing...I am the first Reiza fan but I am honest to admit it will be a great title overall with a lot of content (really a lot) but it will have his good/bad things too (specially on release but this is another topic) as all the titles out there...so no need to compare rF2/ACC/AMS2/ETC...every title potentially could be the best but also the worse...
    The real probelm behind rF2 is...it is just a simulator, without a "soul" or "being in the race", it is cold, lacking a lot of features (if aren't lacking are at least half complete)...and a "direction" (I thinks devs have a vision indeed but I can't see it, sorry).
    All those small/big things togheter leave a bitter taste, something difficult to explain...I try to love it but I end rage quitting it every time...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Well. There’s a square type block missing out of the steering wheel. It looks like they intended to add it but just forgot. It was reported multiple times in the forum. Nothing. Crickets. Same thing is going on with the inertia engine issue in the GTEs.

GoldenBear and CrimsonEminence like this.
  3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I don’t think Rfactor is very good. However nothing else, not ASM2, offer modding so for those who rely on easily missing are sort of stuck with it. Unless you say a king dev does come up and make something better, but I doubt it. I can’t even be bothered asking about bug fixes anymore.

GoldenBear likes this.
  4. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Honestly said, I don't think that RF2 is a lost cause.
    Many great new mods are springing up like mushrooms.
    The physics and driving behavior are still the measure of all things.
    No other Sim manages to cast a spell on me like this.
    So there are decisions that I cannot always fully understand.
    And a lot of annoying bugs. I hope the new road map will be a great first fix for the UI. I think S397 doesn’t want to spend a lot of small fixes but want to do big updates to stabilize it.
    I still trust S397.
    And if I don't like something, I'll write it to Discord or PM.
    Usually you get an answer.
    Ultimately it is so that you never get what you want.

But the current total package rF2 is unbeatable for me .

Adam Helyes likes this.
  5. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I joined RF2 a few weeks ago. The content from S397 is great - I bought GTE packs/CUP/M2 + Le Mans/Sebring/N-Ring/Raiza pack - it all costs every cent. I didn't find any errors in this content - it's just amazing.

Speaking well about DLC, I can't say that I like the basic content. I'll say even more - I can't stand it and unsubscribe from it. I keep Zandvoort (hello, purple road) and Silverstone and that's it.

UI terrible, but functional. The new UI is beautiful, but not functional. I am also very surprised by the presence of soft tires in GT3 - in my opinion, it should not be.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Dont go to Super GT then, you'll be surprised to see S1 tires there lol

R.Noctua likes this.
  7. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I can't do that because this content has been removed. :p

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I meant in real life ;)

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  9. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Oh, I get it.

But there are no soft tires in GT3, right? Or does some GT3 still have one(dunno, may be local championships)?

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Like I said in another thread you started, it's up to tire manufacturer and track temperature, Michelin offer more compounds and some weekends they'll only give one because of weather forecast they know it wont be necessary to have more. Also they dont really give devs detailed tire data so unless a dev is replicating a specific championship that requires a single compound (like ACC with Blancpain) having more than one is not something that "shouldn't be there". It's a dev choice and up to server admin (or you if you drive offline, force AI to use a specific tire) to pick which one to be used. But this is off topic...

R.Noctua likes this.
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The GTE are everything, but amazing...
    -Try pushing the RSR with Le Mans Kit (activate and force in the Tuning menu, if not happened) through the Porsche Curves on Le Mans, while going for some fast laps. Nervous rear, as if downforce doesn't exist. Have still to find a solution.
    -Engine inertia is too low, the engines rev like a Motobike or a JDM car with crazy light flywheel.
    -The BMW is way faster than the RSR on a lap on Le Mans. I know BoP is stint, not sprint, but this seems off for me by a mile there...

J7166 and R.Noctua like this.
  12. williang83

williang83 Registered

The saddest part is that the only reason i still start rF2, actually any racing game, is for offline WEC/IMSA but as you said GTE cars are a joke. Fortunately, although online only, i can enjoy WEC/IMSA in iRacing.

13. CrimsonEminence

I like racing the Tatuus cars and Porsche Cup and also the Reiza cars still.^^ Also the new Adria Raceway is something, i waited for and it's perfect for smaller classes.
    Before the BoP update, i was using rF2 a lot for similar multiclass configurations like WEC/iMSA. It was my go-to endurance singleplayer sim. At least the Oreca 07 is still enjoyable (and here it even makes sense, that it was made slower).

J7166 likes this.
  14. J7166

J7166 Registered

Yea I can second this. S397 usually models off CAD files directly from the manufacturer. Other sims tend to go directly to the teams and scan the cars there in addition to using CAD. Which is why things like the M8 interior look much different between sims that each released the car within like a year of each other

15. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Is rF2 a lost cause at thus point? Frankly I'm not sure, though it does seem to me that they've lost an awful lot of momentum because of the delays to the UI+competition infrastructure.

S397 did a good job with rapidly releasing DX11/VR support, but since then, its gone downhill. They stated they were going to do 'proper' licensed DLC, which they released some good vehicles, but over time they have become increasingly borked physics-wise, and I can't say why. Rumors of new GT3 BOP, but the GTE/GTLM stuff still needs fixing from the LeMans 24 debacle. I'm not sure they've got the vehicle dynamics modeling/engineering under control at this point, and there's lots of 'fit and finish' issues with the DLC that isn't getting resolved. Meanwhile, they also haven't released the info to modders about new shaders etc. so while there are lots of those who might have come across from AC, they're going to be sat on the fence waiting for that info before they do. Whilst I prefer the properly licensed DLC to mods, there are many who need those.

There was some graphical stuff done for rain, but no physics changes. There's been some developments to support F-E and the like, but basically there seems to be nothing being done on physics. S397 probably would try to make the argument that this part of the sim didn't need changing, but it does. No need to rehash the AI issues, but this needs a fundamental rethink possibly; it's not clear to me that the existing AIW structures can achieve the end goal, and if they can't, then this means replacing every DLC and mod track with new data, which would pretty much be a disaster.

So everything is held up by the UI and competition infrastructure. I haven't tried using the new UI yet, and I'm glad I haven't. We don't seem to have a plan for release of new versions/fixes to the UI e.g. clear plan for monthly updates, but in my view we need one. I've no desire to be a beta tester until it really is at a beta i.e. almost complete state, and this is not. I can easily see 6 months to polish this up. And at that point, we still have none of the competition infrastructure and to me, that's the set of features I'm most waiting for. iRacing continue to be unable to develop a tire that has proper heat management (v6 and v7 both have issues), but at least they have the online structure. With rF2, its the reverse. It's not a stretch to say the window of opportunity might be closing, now iRacing have their first limited offering of AI, which while basic doesn't suffer from the same problems as rF2s does. Whilst there are many who won't ever sign up to the iRacing pricing/subscription model and cost, there's a lot of iRacers who might bail if they can have online competition with lower cost, but they certainly won't do it if the AI is also worse, or if the DLC is borked and with multiplayer bugs.

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Now with the note that I haven't driven the GTE cars for a long time, your first comment about the car being driven with Le Mans kit, wich is usualy a low down force kit and the car getting very nervous though the Porsche Curves is something that sounds pretty plausible to me. You are trying to push the car through a very downforce demanding section with a setup that isn't made for that sequence of corners, simple as that. Keep in mind that there have been some heavy accidents during the last couple of years in the Porsche Curves involving people who I would consider much better than us with cars that produce far more downforce than the GTE cars, and even they struggle. I think that people have the wrong impression about the whole track tbh, as it looks easy on paper but it isn't. Porsche Curves aren't a walk in the park and they never will thus leading to lot's of safety changes is recent years.

The only thing that I can say is that with the first 24h race the overall pace of all the cars was way too fast. What would be needed now are scientific approaches. Checking inputs, df levels, tire loads, speeds and stuff like that in MoteC and comparing it with real laptimes and telemetry. I haven't come across that yet nor have I seen anyone posting stuff like that. I can't comment on the engine inertia bug and the BoP stuff is a whole different topic.

17. CrimsonEminence

You don't know, what people are talking about, it seems. It's not the typical normal instabillity, resulting from a low drag configuration...it's a deathtrap, stepping out immediately, no matter, what you do.
    I tried various setups for this configuration ...very conservative and rake + stiff front plays a big role in that...eliminated pitch sensitivity...nothing helps to get it right.
    Try to hit times close to 3:50 with current GTEs...try to do it consistently. You will have a good time...
    Maybe you should try it...
    Oh, really?
    I'm sure, most of the people, driving these cars, are aware of that...so am i.

Maybe considering, that something is off, is hard for you, but sometimes it's even harmful for the solution of a potential issue, to defend it this way, blaming all the drivers for it, reporting the phenomenon, without knowing their overall car control and knowledge.
    Yeah, because you've obviously not dealt with the topic of the GTE issues at all. There are video proofs out there...

mr.Sw1tchblade, Juergen-BY and Ronnie like this.
  18. LokiD

LokiD Registered

This says it all and possibly the most truthful statement about Rf2 atm.

Unfortunately

TOCA2FREAK, GoldenBear and Ronnie like this.
  19. OTL_YT105

OTL_YT105 Registered

rF2 is no more a lost cause than any other sim title. I believe I own every modern sim on the market, from iRacing, Raceroom, Assetto (1 and Competitizione), Automobilista, Pcars 2, etc. etc. and I use them all regularly with 100+ (and in some cases 1000+) hours on each. There is no clear cut winner. They all have their faults, and seemingly simple issues that have existed for years. Anyone who says rF2 AI isn't great, should really try nearly every other sim. ACC and Raceroom are the only two on par, and I would say rF2 is the winner between the three. iR is #1 in multiplayer, but is not #1 in any other category IMO. ACC is probably the most well rounded sim IMO (multiplayer, graphics, physicals, ai, all at least good) but even it has its issues, and to be honest it should be the most polished/well rounded as it has the least amount of (most focused) content. AMS2 will be a blast and I'm an early backer, but I don't think it will replace rF2 just like none of the others have. They will all have their own place.

20. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

rF2 in it's current state is killing rF2.

J7166 likes this.