Is it possible to move rFactor2/Installed folder to a different drive?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by EmDubz, Jan 18, 2020.

1. EmDubz

EmDubz Registered

Hey fellas, I was wondering if anybody has a solution to my conundrum:

Basically, I would like to move the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed to my data (D:) drive. I got a little greedy with downloading vehicles and locations and now it is rapidly filling up my C: Drive (an SSD). I know you can change the folder directory for the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin32\Packages folder (which contains all the .rfcmp files) on the rFactor 2 Launcher menu screen, which free's up quite a bit of space from the default folder. The problem lies in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed folder, particularly Vehicles and Locations. It is starting to accumulate a lot of space on my SSD. Is it possible to change the location of the Installed folder to a folder located on my D: drive, or even just moving these files to a different drive?
    I'm trying to avoid re-installing rFactor 2 and its content on a separate HDD drive. I would like if possible for rFactor 2 to be launchable from an SSD and all of its installed content be located on a HDD. If that is even at all possible.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can do that using a symbolic link to effectively 'move' the installed folder to a different drive, while the game and steam still think it's where it is. It's been discussed on here previously and google will also help you work out how to do it (someone will pop along any moment and give instructions, too).

The issue is that most of the loading time etc is the game reading stuff from the installed folder. So moving it to a HDD probably isn't advisable. If anything you might be better moving the entire installation to another drive using steam's ability to have different/multiple game install folders, and then maybe link the installed folder back to the SSD.

Option C: buy a bigger SSD.

3. EmDubz

EmDubz Registered

That's actually really helpful to know. Thank you.
    Yeah I know of the pitfalls of loading from HDD, I would like to avoid this and an uninstall/reinstall as much as possible.
    Don't think this will be a possibility in the near future as I have a laptop for dedicated server connected to a desktop via LAN with a Surface Pro as an RDP for the laptop. I would need to upgrade both laptop and desktop and I just can't afford it right now.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Leige

Leige Registered

It's easy.

You need create a new steam folder in steam library and then, you can move the game to these folder

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

6. EmDubz

EmDubz Registered

Oh dang, I never even knew this was possible, thank you kindly for the heads up. Would there be a sacrifice in load times and GPU/CPU usage if the library was moved from an SSD to an HDD? Thank you for your help.

Duly noted, and thank you for the link to the thread.
    I might not be able to test these methods for a couple of months as I will be very busy travelling for work, but if I have reached a solution which works for me I will mark the thread as "Solved" and share insight into what I did and learn.

7. Leige

Leige Registered

Load times will be increased, CPU and GPU don't change