Logitech G920

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Harry Bard, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Harry Bard

Harry Bard Registered

Logitech G920 wheel is initially seen in rFactor2, but steering drops out and then stops working, and throttle only allows idle speed, can't accelerate past that. The controller works fine in AC and IRacing.

2. Harry Bard

Harry Bard Registered

And yes, I ran through the setup several times and shut down, started up my PC.

3. RandyAndy

RandyAndy Registered

Hi Harry, did you solve the problem with the G920? I fight with the steering setup since days. I m not happy with the (non-) feeling while driving.

4. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I had my G920 die mid-session a few month back, and only a reboot would bring it back to life, only for the same to happen again.

It coincided with my messing about with the controller.json and player.json files.

Move these somewhere safe and restart rF2 and see if it persists.

5. RandyAndy

RandyAndy Registered

Thx for your support. But I havn't had a feeling since the installation. Maybe the problem comes from Logitech themselve. In the Logitech Menu (In Windows) there is no power option to setup. Just an item for sensitivity. It seems they changed it some time ago.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RandyAndy from some searching for G29/920 guides I get the feeling the pretty interface never provided an overall strength option. But that's ok, just means it's something you can't get wrong and the game should work fine with that anyway (lowering FFB Mult to reduce clipping is certainly an option, but not strictly necessary and some people prefer the stronger (yet clipped) forces on that level of wheel). So that's not really a problem at this stage.

Can you show a screenshot of your Option->Controls page in the game? That shows the Force Feedback type etc.

Can you also describe how you set up the wheel initially? Did you detect, or just start assigning controls (like Steer Left, Steer Right, ...) and does the wheel function fine apart from FFB? (on that same controls screen, you should be able to press the pedals and move your wheel and have the various graphs showing that movement correctly)

7. RandyAndy

RandyAndy Registered

Hi Lassa, here are pictures of the Logitech Menu (I hope it works). Inside rfactor pics I send tomorrow.

Attached Files:

8. RandyAndy

RandyAndy Registered

Here is the in-game setup. I actually drive with a car mult of 2 or more. With 1 I've got no resistance in turns. With some cars i need a multi of 3 or 4.
    Everyone is written to drive with 1 or less.
    What's wrong with my system?

Attached Files:

9. muz_j

muz_j Registered

..what version of the Logitech Gaming Software are you using out of curiosity ?
    I'm running version 9.02 on 64-bit Windows 10 - version 1809 and I've never had an issue with my G29 in rF 2. It's the same base and pedals as the 920, just a slightly different button layout on the wheel.

Lazza likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RandyAndy I can't see anything wrong in the game settings. Your logitech profiler looks like what I've found online, which is to say it doesn't appear to have a strength setting. But that, in itself, is ok. (the wheel is always set to 100%. You just adjust in each game as required)

Have you tried ticking the box ("Enable Centering spring"), while leaving it set to 0, to see if that helps? Depending how the wheel driver and games interact it could be killing some FFB. Worth a try.

As a way to avoid any messed up settings, in the game try loading the Keyboard preset then change the settings to Wheel (FFB type), assign your controls, and see if that changes anything.

Finally, which cars have you tried in the game? The Formula ISI 2012 provides solid feedback at speed, some cars are weaker or are 'interesting' and might lead you to think something is wrong.

Also do check your profiler version as muz_j suggests - the screenshots I'm finding online look a bit different to yours, but they might be older.

11. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

With regards to the centering spring strength, try it at 10 or 20%.

Also, set a button on your wheel for FFB Reset, and hit that it things don't feel right.

12. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I've read a lot of recommendations over years to always leaving the centering spring setting disabled - as it effects your perception of force feedback (if you have it enabled). Mine's been disabled for as long as I can remember and my personal advice to to leave it off, unless you specifically like that setting.

@RandyAndy - I also wondered how you created those screen shots, as they look interlaced (wavy distortion patterns in the images) and my guess is you took photo's of a screen using a digital camera ?
    Is there a reason you didn't want to use Alt & Print Screen (screen shot current window i.e. the window which has the focus) ?
    ...I'm not having a go at you, just wondering why you did it that way, when just doing normal windows screen shots works perfectly.

13. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

With it set to zero, there's no resistance at all at low speed, which feels weird to me.

I'll have another play about this afternoon.

14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Snipping Tool pinned to the Task Bar is handy as well.

I haven't had a Logi wheel for years but I've always hated their one bloatware solution for all their gaming products.
    Logitech wheels seem to be the most problematic going by the amount of help requests in game forums.

muz_j likes this.
  15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Have you ever set the sensitivity to 100% for everything?
    I don't know if it affects the FFB feeling but in my opinion it makes no sense to set it at 50%.

16. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Yeah probably - but my guess would be that's likely (at least in some respects) to their popularity.
    They're obviously not a high quality wheel - anyone who thinks that is crazy and one search for quality sim racing wheels quickly proves that and the level that you can spend is staggering. But Logitech wheels are good, cheap, budget orientated wheels. So for driving games on a budget, I think they're really good and fill a niche.
    I agree though it would be nice if they still provided a slimmed down device driver, just for whatever gaming device you use. For Windows 10, it's just a case of installing their "Gaming Software" application and that's got the device drivers and control panel etc in one package - so I suspect they package it like that for ease of use - i.e. one product does everything and there's not much for the average user to screw up when installing it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  17. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Well, I'm really just pointing out what I've read countless times across the racing games I play and it's obviously a setting you can toggle on or off and set as you please. So really it's a case of personal preference.
    I know for a fact that a lot of people who like to drift in driving sim's, prefer the exact opposite of what I've said - enabling the centering spring setting and cranking it quite high, as it helps to flick the car from one side to the other (apparently).
    So take my comments as they are - just comments really.

eg: one of the first hits on a google search for "logitech g29 centering spring rfactor 2" is this and there's a lot more forum posts on it, but i'm listing this purely as an example. so my suggestion would be to understand what the setting does and then set it as you prefer.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/rfactor2/comments/6j83hf/looking_for_logitech_g29_ffb_settings/

...in my own opinion (and I'm no sim racing pro), with centering disabled, the steering feels more neutral and natural and just responds to steering inputs and the environment, rather than having some artificial setting trying to pull it back to the middle - but that's purely my opinion.

There are two mentions of the setting on this forum, from what I can see - one with a G920 and one with a DFGT wheel. both people in those threads have it disabled.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?search/7648993/&q=centering+spring&o=date&c[node]=211

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  18. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here.
    In the post that i have qouted (this one) you show 2 screenshots of the profiler software, i guess, where the steering, gas, brake and clutch sensitivity are set to 50%.
    And for me that makes no sense (my personal opinion), i would set all 4 values to 100%.
    I didn't talk about the center spring.

muz_j likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Bernd do you have a logitech wheel? Is 50 or 100 linear? Whichever is would be preferable. I found a guide screenshot with 100 and another with 50, so I didn't suggest one or the other. I can't remember how that worked, if it was even an option in the old software.

20. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I use the G920 too.
    When i started with rfactor 1, i had the G25, where i had to set the sensitivity to 100%.
    Without that, especially the steering felt as if you would have enabled the steering help.
    To be honest, since that time, that was always the first thing that i did in the profiler, setting all sensitivity values to 100%, without any testing or comparison of different settings.
    Of course, the G920 is newer than the G25, but it's a logitech wheel, so i doubt that there was changed something.
    I also never have searched for any informations about "best settings for...", because all these informations are made from the personal preferences of the person who made it, but we are all different. :)

Mauro likes this.