Steam key for rFactor 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1-HP, Jan 7, 2020.

1. 1-HP

1-HP Registered

I purchased rFactor 1 soon after release, and recently tried to install it on a new PC, but learned it can no longer be activated through ISI. Goes to show how long it's been since I played the game on my old racing PC. It's my understanding old licence owners have to submit a request for a Steam key.

Thankfully, I kept my IMA # and submitted my info through the Steam key request page:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDJRK5xwh8GA70E6Ck-OyrjzpM1JRWeQfoANgznayNLjYYBw/viewform

After waiting a week, I receiving no reply. Then I sent an email to support@rfactor.net , and again one week later, there has been no reply. So here I am, asking for a way to get a Steam key so I can continue to play rFactor 1.

2. philrob

philrob Registered

i also have just rebuilt a pc and have had the same experience as you.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Wow, it's been so long, maybe you'd have to buy the game on steam now. S397 only bought rF2 from ISI as far as I'm aware.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

This forum and company has nothing to do with rfactor 1, so you won't get any help here.
    http://rfactor.net/#support

Seven Smiles likes this.
  5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

WOW! I would have thought $10 max.
    rfprice.png

atomed, JimmyT and Ho3n3r like this.
  6. 1-HP

1-HP Registered

I thought I'd try posting here since ISI seems to be unresponsive and no longer has a forum for rFactor 1.

Feel free to delete the post.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

What i find a bit strange, is that the site, to ask for a rf1 steam key, is on google docs.
    I remember another official site.
    But i also fear that ISI has lost any interest in supporting rfactor.

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yeah,tell him he's dreamin' $35 :eek::eek:

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was actually extremely close to posting a meme of that but I like to leave about a year between memeing? memes? :confused:

Don't delete it. Leave it up for people to see.
    They are still selling the game. They are listed on Steam as the developer and publisher so I would have thought that legally they should have to offer some sort of support. All you get when you click on the Steam store page link to ISI is a 404. :rolleyes:
    You should spam any email address of ISI until you get a response.

I need a lie down now, I got all worked up writing that :mad:

atomed and JimmyT like this.
  10. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I've seen it for $5 (USD) during Steam sales.

I'm pretty sure I have 2 copies - one I bought online direct from ISI and the other a retail copy.

11. Depco

Depco Registered

I think rF2 broke ISI. They hit gold with rF1 and the licenses they sold for other sim titles. They rode that gravy train until the money ran out. rF2 was poorly managed and no one was willing to license their buggy software. ISI was not a game developer. They were a physics developer. They realized that they were unable to wrap a game around rF2 code so they were willing to let it die. That is until Luminis came along and bought it lock, stock, and barrel. Thanks goes to S397 for picking up the game and running with it.

As far as rF1, I am sure you can find a cheaper copy out there on the interwebs. Also if they are not willing to support the title I believe it is fair game to be sourced outside official channels, not that I am suggesting you resort to piracy. Only that it could be considered abandon-ware at this point.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    atomed and Remco Majoor like this.
  12. Emery

Emery Registered

The Windows XP location for the non-Steam version's license used to be in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trymedia\licenses. Not sure where it resides under the more recent OSes, so I'm searching...

In the meantime, wait for a Steam sale (like Bill Worrel, I've seen it for $5 US) or just use Automobilista.

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Emery likes this.
  14. Emery

Emery Registered

15. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

I remember when indiegala or humble bundle have a bundle just cost $1 and rfactor 1 is in it, just go to some steam trading site maybe you can find it under $1.
    I've got rf1 like this years ago so I'm not sure will anyone still have the bundle key

16. 1-HP

1-HP Registered

I'm ahead of you. I already checked Humble Bundle and found a couple of bundles for $1 to $2 with rFactor, but they had long since expired. Probably one of them was a bundle you got yours, LOL.

17. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

sad story... so just waiting next sale to buy it on $5 I think..
    And aha I remember I bought a $1 bundle and use it all, don't know where to find what's left